Tipperary Air Esprit Vest review - big pictures

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ldbandit76, Aug 7, 2006.

1. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Thanks in equal parts to License2Ill's long-winded rants and my personal fear of broken ribs, I ordered a Tipperary Air Esprit equestrian rider's vest. It arrived this past weekend, just too late to take it along to the Neduro Clinic at The Farm.

Since I haven't seen any other reviews of the thing, I'll start one here.

I bought this vest to assist in protecting against broken ribs and similar torso trauma, including the bar-end-in-gut effect. The reason I chose a horse-riding product instead of a moto-specific item is because of the stricter performance standards equestrian items meet compared to bike stuff.

Breaking news: This vest is not BETA Level 3 certified:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4169301&postcount=124

However, other, similar items are. See the posts following the above link for examples.

In short, BETA 3 vests are roughly TWICE as good as the very best cycle gear at absorbing impact energy.* For more details than you probably care to read on that front, including numbers, data, criteria, and analysis, see here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622732&postcount=8

and here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2633744&postcount=36

This vest provides full wrap-around coverage of the entire rib cage, something no cycle product does. And it does all that and only costs $135 shipped. So it seemed like a good deal. I bought the vest from Four Winds** in Colorado, here:

http://www.fourwinds.net/engcloth/tp2005.html

I'm 6' 1" and 165 pounds, more-or-less rail-shaped. I'm between sizes M and L per the sizing chart. I ordered a large, but it turns out a medium is just as long, and probably would have provided a leaner, closer fit for me. But the large works okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vest is adjustable enough that getting a good fit is pretty simple. Three main portions are connected by large velcro swatches: the back and two wrap-around front pieces. There's velcro at the shoulders and sides, so the vest can be adjusted for both girth and length. Once fitted, there are no gaps in coverage; the whole torso is protected, all the way around. There's even a supplementary panel behind the zipper to add impact protection there.

When I got it fitted, the back came down to my tailbone, and the front to just above my belly button. This is as low as I'd want it in front, since any longer would make it difficult to bend forward at the waist. But my solar plexus and upper abs are covered, which is nice.

The shell is made of very light nylon and mesh; the interior is all mesh. It seems durable enough to last, but as light as possible for air flow. The protective panels are harder than you'd think on the outside, and slightly squishy on the bumpy parts on the inside. Unlike the CE pads in my textile jacket, the Tipperary vest places the bumpy part of the pad next to the rider, to allow air to flow between the bumps. Given that, and the largely-mesh shell, it seems it'll be not-too-hot to wear. Probably no worse than any of the Pressure-Suit style torso protectors. I may choose to add to the few holes in the panel; I doubt that would compromise protection much.

[​IMG]

The protective panels actually do look at a lot like CE pads; same color, same general texture and feel, very similar thicknesses, though the Air Esprit stuff is just a touch thicker and firmer. I picture this vest as being one big CE pad that I can wrap myself in. Only better. Note how much bigger the back is than the pad from my jacket.

[​IMG]

The vest fits under my mesh jacket pretty well (MC jackets seem to be made for folks bigger around than me anyway). I might even use this thing for street or track use should I desire maximum torso protection, but I'll probably save it for dirt riding most of the time. My mesh jacket will go over the top to provide shoulder and elbow pads.

I haven't had a chance to ride with it yet, but it'll get a good shakedown during my trip to Colorado at the end of the month. In the meantime, here's a summary:

What the Tipperary vest does do:

1) Offers good (but not best-in-class) impact protection. See the BETA 3 vests for that.

2) Wraps all the way around the torso, providing full rib coverage, including adjustable fit for girth and length.

3) Provides air gaps next to the rider to help with cooling.

4) Costs $135 shipped.

What the Tipperary vest doesn't do:

1) Offer shoulder or elbow pads

2) Make you look like Ricky Carmichael, a Stormtrooper, or an extra from Mad Max.

3) Give you an excuse to go shopping at your local cycle store.

I'm pretty sure the Air Esprit will help reduce injuries from all manner of impacts, including the bar-in-gut, the inconveniently-located-rock, the fall-on-my-own-elbow, and the slam-flat-on-back-after-nasty-highside. I'd like to think I won't be field testing it, but history shows that's just not the case. It'll get a good test in a couple weeks when my dad and I (he bought one, too) go trail riding in Colorado.

Dave

* Velocity Gear offers a back protector that claims 4.5 kN transmitted force at 50 J impact. That's roughly the same performance as required by BETA 2000 level 3, which the regular Esprit and several Charles Owen protectors at least meet, and may well exceed (though I don't know that). But equestrian vests cover the whole torso, not just the back.

** FourWinds lost my order, resulting in a two-week delay. Other tales of poor service follow in this thread. A couple other shops carry the vest for slightly more money, here:

http://www.tackroominc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=280&products_id=3344

and here:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-40068&Tipperary+Air-Esprit+Vest=&bhcd2=1157571278

I recommend at least calling Four Winds to verify inventory before ordering.
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    Dave, is this foam one-shot type (like a bicycle helmet) or does it retain (or regain) its protective properties after being compressed?

I'll be interested to hear how it does in the heat. :ear
  3. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    As best I can tell, it'll take multiple impacts in one area. I've seen no indication that it's a one-hit-wonder on any of the many tags, certificates and descriptors that have come with it. As mentioned, it seems to be similar to the CE pads, which can be re-used.

I'm also curious how it'll do in the heat. More than likely it would be fine on its own, or with separate elbow pads, but with my jacket over it, it'll be a touch warm. That shouldn't be a problem at 9000 ft.

Dave
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Very interesting item.. thanks for the detailed review
  5. license2ill

license2ill Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks LD, you are the man.

Does it restrict motion or get in the way at all? How about on the shoulders, can you get into a tuck at all while wearing it? Do the shoulder pieces in your jacket still fit properly when worn underneath? What about wearing it over the top of tighter-fitting stuff?

I've been back and forth with Davies O'Dell recently regarding their new Forcefiled rib/torso piece, and they have had some serious questions about the ergonomics of such equipment and manufacturing something they consider wearable and apporpriate for motorcyclists while still trying to meet the most apporpriate levels of force transmssion for the ribs/chest. I've brought up the Beta2000 standard requirements, as well as the simple CE levels with them, and they have now apparently hired-on Paul Varnsverry to consult about it. Right now they say their new front torso protector only provides down to 15.8kN at the 50J CE 16212-2 impact energy level, and they are obviously hitting the limits with that, because they're trying the approach that the CE testing provides more severe conditions due to the bars and anvils used which are not flexible like the human rib cage from which the levels of force in the medical research have been extrapolated from. So, basically they are trying to justify not being able to meet the stricter levels of EN1621-2 or BETA Level 3, of the thicker/bulkier horse riders protectors as of right now. However, they are trying, and are aware of the fact that more of the mc riding community is more aware of these concerns and prefomance values. Varnsverry seems legitiamte in his expertise, but his new relationship with T-Pro may not allow him to be forthright in regards to that particular product or issues anymore. I'm glad to see them seeking outside consult from the leading expert in the filed, but I am a bit disappointed that he now seems to be under obligation to defend there moves, regardless of whether they are entriely correct at this point. We shall see how it all pans out. Hopefully there wil lbe one more feasible option in the T-Pro piece soon, and perhaps it will be an even more ergonomically functional piece in the end.

One other thing to note from the pics is that the Knox CE backpad from your riding jacket is not an EN1621-2 piece, but a 1621-1 piece, so the size requirments have likely been completely ignored by that piece as a proper motorcyclist back protector marked to EN1621-2(level 1 or 2), as well as the stricter force transmssion requirements for that standard. It looks entriely too small to pass EN1621-2 in any size garment, except maybe XXS.
  6. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Nope. You're the one who looked up all the standards, argued ad nauseam about the numbers, and actually found the piece. I just spent the money.

I've had the vest two days. I have not ridden in it yet. So I can't give that kind of a review yet.

The plan is that it'll be mostly for off-road stuff. I fall down a lot more (a whole lot more) when I'm in the dirt, so protection is a bigger issue there. If it fits properly, I may use the Esprit to replace my old Knox back protector for track days and such. I'll have to see how it works with my leather and/or kevlar jackets.

I consider the vest overkill for street riding, too much stuff to put on and take off, since I need a jacket over it anyway. It'd work under the Darien, I'm sure. I'm just not going to do that.

I'll be spending several days in it at the end of the month. I'll follow up.

Dave
  7. license2ill

license2ill Banned

Oddometer:

Right on. I agree about the convenience factor, but that goes for any and all options in my opinion. I actually like the idea of more of a one-piece vest, or something that does more with less peices, rather than seperate back piece and seperate chest piece,/ rib piece, etc. Of course, all that nonsense could be solved if mc clothing manufacturers got on the ball about incorporating real protective solutions like this in their garment first and foremost.
  8. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    I knew there was only one person in the forum who would catch that (I posed the picture to show it), and you did, so I didn't bother mentioning it in the review. But yes, I noticed.

Dave
  9. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    We're all packed for our Colorado trip, and I've found the first issue with the Tipperary vest. It doesn't pack very well. The panels don't fold over, and it's quite broad unfolded. They'll be loose in the van.

Of course, all YFFs never trailer anywhere, so this isn't an issue for you. Right? Right.

More to come after Labor Day. In the meantime, the sound of metal hitting rock and the cursing around Gunnison and Ouray will be us.

Dave
  10. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Thanks for the review.
  11. PackMule

Oddometer:

Have fun, take pics, and grace us with a whopper of a trip report when you get home! :clap
  12. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '20

Oddometer:
    Recently ordered mine too!

-Eff
  13. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    We did (oh yeah!), we did (well over 100) and I'm working on it.

In the meantime, here's a teaser: I am now a firm believer in the effectiveness of this vest. I even managed to do a "controlled" experiment comparing protected and unprotected areas that underwent about the same impact. Suffice to say, the unprotected area is rather abused at this moment. But I have no marks whatever on my back or under the vest.

Pictures (and a full report) to follow.

Dave
  14. Effervescent

Oddometer:
    I think these turkeys might have lost my order as well. They haven't returned my email either. :huh

You are killing us with that teaser.:wink:

-Eff
  15. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Call them: [FONT=arial, helvetica, tahoma]970-482-0767 or 1-800-498-0767[/FONT]. They had mine sitting in a box back in the store or something; it never shipped until I called. Get someone on the phone and keep them there until they find it or ship you a new one. Sorry about that. Maybe it's worth paying another $10 at a more reliable dealer. It's also available here:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-40068&Tipperary+Air-Esprit+Vest=&bhcd2=1157423157

and here:

http://www.tackroominc.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=280&products_id=3344

I'll fill in the teaser in my ride report, but I'll add a bit about the vest:

- Cooling: It does flow air, and doesn't feel hot or sticky, at least in the moderate tempratures we rode in (50-75 F). It's warmer than just a t-shirt, of course, but not so warm as anything that fits right against the skin. I'm considering adding holes, as mentioned, but haven't seen a need yet. Maybe when it gets warmer.

- Fit and comfort: It's hardly noticable when riding. Despite its stiffness and considerable thickness, it's not very heavy at all. It allows full forward bend at the waist and doesn't obstruct any motion of the arms or head. It fit fine under my mesh jacket.

- Durability: I took a good slam on the thing, and both dad and I had several lesser falls. No obvious damage. Granted, it was under our jackets, so abrasion was a non-issue.

- Crash feel: It's odd how well this thing works. Falls that would leave you sore in spots feel like rolling on a thick gym mat or something. Slams that would otherwise hurt a lot just feel like a push. It's the difference between punching a heavy bag and hitting a brick wall; both hit hard, but one doesn't hurt.

A rider we met saw my dad's vest hanging from his bars at a stop, and asked what the "bulletproof vest" was. He seemed interested by the thing; "I could have used this a couple years ago" when he broke some ribs. He was impressed by how light it was.

Dad and I like them. Though we're both big fans of protection, we're also willing to shelve stuff that doesn't work the way we want it to. But when the MX helmets come out, so will these vests.

Dave
  16. Effervescent

Oddometer:
    Great stuff.

Thanks a lot for the number. I called them today and they didn't seem to know their asses from their elbows. Said they would call me back. They didn't.

I called again and homeboy says they have no vests. Tells me that the vests all got stopped in Customs due to recent 9/11 terrorism stuff (they DO look like bulletproof vests, I suppose). They will get them Thursday and I should have mine in a week.

What annoying is that they gladly took my dough 15 days ago, then ignored two emails, and I needed to call twice today to get a straight answer. Ugh.

-Eff
  17. Mike in Atlanta

Mike in Atlanta Oh Noes

Oddometer:
    Call them back, tell them that they violated every credit card agreement any merchant signs when selling something they do not have. I would also expect they dont want to get a charge back which the credit card company will gladly do due to their screw up. While they might have a great product, they cant be the only game in town.

Mike
  18. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the troubles there, Eff. Good luck.

Meanwhile, I have pictures. This is the back/inside of my right arm, taken on Monday night:

[​IMG]

I fell, hard, on a rock field on Thursday. I believe most of the impact occured around my right shoulder blade, but that was covered by the vest. My arm wasn't, and got this nice looking bruise and scrape. The scrape is about 3 inches long.

But the portions of my back which seemed to bear the brunt of the fall are unmarked. There's nothing there. So it seems this vest will prevent nasty bruises and mild abrasions (through a jacket) at the very least. My arm and my back were within inches of each other when I fell (hands by waist) and they fell on basically the same surface, so I'd call this a pretty good experiment.

Both dad and I were shocked that I was relatively unscathed after the fall. While I base my faith in the Esprit's protective value on the standards it passes, this is a good indicator that it seems to work.

I describe the fall in detail in my trip report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3228227&postcount=15

Dave
  19. PackMule

Oddometer:
    Ouch. :puke

What did you do for shoulders? Stock jacket pads? (not that the area bruised is really covered by any configuration I've ever seen :dunno) If you left the shoulder pads in, what was that interface like? Did it hang up at all?
  20. ldbandit76

ldbandit76 Life is good.

Oddometer:
    Yep, stock pads in shoulders and elbows (they're CE, about as good as I could expect). No hangups on the vest "straps" that I noticed at all. The jacket just rides over the vest. Note that shoulder pads seem to hang on the outside of the shoulders (or should, as far as I'm concerned) while the vest is on top.

And no, I have no idea what I could have done to protect this part of my arm. It's almost my armpit, the very top portion of my tricep. Any pads there would be rather inconvenient. And stinky.

But my arm can swing away in a fall (less inertia), while a landing like this on a shoulder blade would be a very substantial impact. I'm glad I had that thing on.

Dave