Renewing Mexico Visa and Temporary Moto Import

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by dwj - Donnie, Jun 12, 2014.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    I mostly live in Mexico now, but still need to get my tourist visa and moto importation renewed from time to time. Is there a waiting time to renew your papers after you have closed the existing papers? Can it be done at the same time? If there is a waiting period, do you have to prove that you left Mexico during the waiting time? For example, the Aduana for crossing into Guatemala at Tapachula, MX is close to 50 miles from the actual border and before you get to Tapachula. Could you close your papers, go to Tapachula, MX, but not enter Guatemala and simply spend a couple days in Tapachula before returning to the Aduana to get new papers? Thanks! :D
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    What does that entail? What are the ramification? How does it affect my US residency? Income taxes? Pros? Cons?
  3. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't you renew your permanent residence visa yearly? I do.
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I only have a six month tourist visa and six month moto temporary importation.
  5. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I now have a better understanding of my situation.
  6. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Find a mexican lawyer to get your visa for you. Makes things LOADS easier - well worth the couple hundred bucks they'll charge. Anyway, last time I checked just over a year ago, most of the import guys on the border charge about $700 to nationalize a US plated bike - that includes their fee AND mexican taxes. The bike can be taken back into the US and replated there later on as if it never left.
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    At this time I do not want to apply for Citizenship, nor do I want to permanently import my moto.
  8. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same thing if you get a temporary resident visa. (or anything other than a tourist visa) As far as I know, there's no way to extend a TVIP without taking the bike out of the country. If you can tolerate riding it to the border every 6 months then that's your easiest out. If you have an extra $700 to drop, you can leave it mexico as long as you like, and then just ride it back to the states and put US plates back on it whenever you like. It's not permanently stuck in Mexico. Put it on non-op status before you leave the states to keep from paying tabs (if that's an issue in Texas).
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride my moto back to the states at least four times a year, so getting new papers is not a problem. It just would be easier if I could do it at the Aduana 25 miles from where I live when in Mexico, which is the reason for my originally questions. That way I would not have to re-do my papers when they are four months old on a trip to the US because I won't be back to the US for three months after I leave.