Bought a Harley - why, why, why!!!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by tri650, Mar 27, 2012.

1. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    So don't repost the whole thing! :p
  2. Matchanu

Matchanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm not going to argure the point of inattentive drivers in cars, nothing on earth is going to prevent you from getting smashed from that.

However, when I drive the car, I do notice the sounds of louder pipes comming up behind me even beofer I check the mirrors.

Does it "save lives"? fuck if I know.

Your survival is almost entirely on your ability to ride, where you place yourself, escape routes, SA, etc.. Loud pipes, reflective vests, day glow helmet, flashing lights, etc.. are just little additions to your overall safety, it's not going to stop or prevent the drunk dude plowing into you at a stop light.

Overly loud pipes are obnoxious and are really nothing different than the booming stereo from an import "tuner", something for attention, "LOOKIT ME LOOKIT ME!".

When it comes down to it, the loudest whining about "pirate garb" and "HD's suck" comes from the ADV costume wearers who have the fully decked out BMW GS bikes and all the latest gadgets who do nothing more than ride on Sundays from home to the coffee shop and back home again.

Oddly, I haven't heard a bad word uttered by the "pirate crowd" about the cafe bike I had, nor the KLR, nor the Buell Uly. I'm not saying they are not out there, there may be threads just like this about ADV riders on some HD website, I don't go there so I don't know nor do I really care.

There certainly is a lions share of pissing and whining here about what other riders wear or what they ride. It's cool though, some people like to feel better about themselves by putting other people down.

I'm just gratefull to be riding, regardless of what brand it is, that makes me happy enough.
  3. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    I've not seen one, other than the occasional comment about power rangers, and possibly some whining about hooligans.

IME, most of the Harley riders I know just really like motorcycles in general.
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

With all due respect, I've read this over twice, and it's just a pile of garbage. There is really nothing wrong with these bikes. It's ALWAYS the owners who offer themselves up as a higher level of,,,,,whatever it is they are using as a measuring stick. The above diatribe is a clear indication of what is out there on the street.
    Just ride your bikes, don't get offended when another non - "branded" machine decides to pass, try to withhold those "when you gonna get a real bike" comments, don't consider public intimidation as an integral part of your passion for riding your particular brand. PLEASE don't ever think that blipping the throttle with open pipes whilst sitting in front of an open air cafe is cool,,,,,it is exactly 100% opposite, you really should know this. Don't ever consider that exhaust noise has a direct parallel with performance, it does not.

Steve
  5. MotoManiac

MotoManiac n00b

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  6. Zippydapanhead

Zippydapanhead Damn you kids, get away from it!

Oddometer:
    If it wasn't for ADVRider, I'd have nothing. Hey, lunch time! :mulie
  7. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    My throttle does a good job. While it is not technically "on earth" (most of the time) it is on earth... if you know what I mean. :ricky
  8. mslow

mslow Faccia Brutta

Oddometer:
    my ktm 690sm and my gsxr track bike were both louder than my harley
  9. Doubleplay

Doubleplay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Respectfully disagree. Most of the Harley riders that I know, don't like or care about the other brands. Heck some of them have no clue about what is available out there.
  10. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    You disagree with what? Are you saying that I have not had this experience? Or did you just mean that it has not been YOUR experience?

Also, if they're happy with the bike they've got, and don't plan on buying another anytime soon, why would they know anything about other companies offerings?
  11. Matchanu

Matchanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I guess all the Harley riders you know are the accountant/dentist "dress up and play biker for the weekend" type, which is actually a lot more telling about you and the people you associate with.:lol3
  12. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but could it be because most of them you know really like motorcycles in general?

:deal :lol3
  13. dieatomkinder

dieatomkinder Adventurer

Oddometer:

I was going to comment on your motorcycles, but I was out riding...

just kidding. I always find it amusing when people tell me "Oh you ride a harley you wouldn't understand". Obviously unaware that my bike riding progression was Ninja 250 -> Ninja 600 -> Ninja 7R -> Katana -> HD Rocker Custom, HD Road King. Plus when it needs to be done I take care of my wife's Honda VTX (she's pregnant so I have start it up, take out and ride it for an hour duty). You really want to hear some smack talking, ride your wife's Honda for an hour. pull up to the stop light at the exit ramp while wearing your HD jacket, and Full face helmet. "Hey boy! you got the jacket when you getting the bike?"
  14. scrannel

scrannel Scrannel

Oddometer:
    Will someone please shoot this zombie thread in the head?
  15. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    I meant the ones the other guy knows.
  16. EetsOK

EetsOK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which other guy? I can't follow this damn thread anymore so I will post this picture.
    [​IMG]
  17. wlogwihlas

wlogwihlas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EddieZero, thank you for your service, I make it a habit of buying veterans beers, so If you ever stroll into a bar that I'm at, then there's a beer with your name on it.
    I like loud pipes, ever since I was a kid. I think they're cool, within decent limit. I can't really support getting pipes so loud that they wake up the neighborhood every time that you drive by, and make babies throw tantrum fits. Angry babies is a bad thing, lol. I'm picking up a sportster 1200 today (very excited) and I have every attention of adding on louder pipes, again within reason. When I'm driving in the little city of burlington, cars are zooming all around, pulling out in front, etc. In the past if I thought a car was going to do something stupid, I would open the throttle a little bit to let them know another human is present. Sure I could use the horn, but I don't like horns, they make me angry. Am I bad MC driver because I do that, maybe, but its always worked for me and I'm a grown man that can make his own decisions. (as long as the wife says its ok, lol)
    I don't care what you ride, spyder, trike, hog, rat bike, crotch rocket, dualie, whatever, as long as you're on the road having fun then I fully support you. I had a buddy that wanted a moped, but was worried that other bikers would make fun of him at his factory. I told him to stop being insecure and ride what ever he wants, if they didn't like it, Fuck'em. If we removed the judgment of other riders, I think we could all have a lot more fun. This forum is good at that, I received nothing but top notch advice when I posted a question earlier and I appreciate that. To the OP, if you're not enjoying your ride, get one that you will and ride the shit out of it. Best of luck.
  18. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    The gunshots will attract wave and oil threads.
  19. Doubleplay

Oddometer:

You don't know me so you are either a bad ass pirate who is associated with the members of Hell's Angels:rofl. or an a.. hole making assumptions about people you don't know.
    At the same time probably you are holding a grudge against people who makes decent money or can hold a job more than couple months unlike yourself.:asshat

This thread is not worth any more of my time adios....
  20. Doubleplay

Oddometer:

Stop before making even more nonsense:rofl