The $$$ question

Discussion in 'Americas' started by LS650, Jun 21, 2011.

1. LS650

LS650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with the idea of doing a lengthy (say 2-3 months) moto ride from Canada down into Mexico, and possibly further south. It's all very preliminary right now, and I'm just starting to think about budgeting and costs...

When I look through here or other moto touring sites, riders will post all kinds of details - photos, maps, stories, etc - except money. You'll see occasional comments about the cost of a hotel room, a meal, or buying a spare part, but in general posters don't seem to be all that forthcoming with comments about budgeting.

When it comes to budgeting Latin America, I only know Mexico and Costa Rica. Both are more expensive than most other LA countries. In Mexico you might spend anywhere from $5 US/night for a hammock on a beach to $50/night for a swanky room in a city centre. Generally I found that you could get something respectable for the middle of that range. Of course, this can vary a lot by what someone calls 'respectable'!

Costa Rica is more expensive than Mexico, and I found that unless you are well off the beaten track you will be paying American-style prices.

I think if you are willing to camp in a bedroll or sleep in hostel-type places, and eat street food, local bakery, etc, you can live pretty cheaply in most parts of Latin America.

I'm not sure how to express this, but I think that it would be helpful to others when posting ride reports to also include some details as to expenses. What do you think?
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just wish the posters would name places, restuarants and hotels.
  3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    amigo there are so many things that make it difficult for caming up with a number, some people spend about $10 K to make it in 3 months from the US all the way to Patagonia and back, some need $20K and 4 months.

Having said that, I can email an excel sheet that somebody did that is a good starting point, it has the main questions, how many miles, food, lodging and such.

PM you email if interested, or anybody else.

Damasovi
  4. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill shoot you a PM but would you mind sending me that spread sheet also?? Ive been trying to figure out the same thing as the OP. Thanks.
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    KG done!
  6. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got your email. Thanks man!!! Gonna check it out when I get to my other computer.
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. samaza

samaza intercontinental

Oddometer:
    A travelling day will cost you 1.5x more than a non travelling day so it does depend on how fast you move. For my 10 months from Canada to Buenos Aires I averaged 1.5k USD a month.
  9. UMMSIMM

UMMSIMM n00b

Oddometer:
    Can I have that file 2?

Thanks from Santiago de Chile.