CB500/Four and Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by pilotfish, Nov 15, 2008.

1. pilotfish

pilotfish subnewbie

Oddometer:
    I've found a '71 CB500 Four for sale for not too much. At first, I really wanted it, partly because my late stepfather used to sell these things, and I spent a lot of time around them as a kid.

But now I'm having a second thoughts--a 37-year-old four-cylinder bike with four carbs sounds like it might need a lot of maintenance, and I don't have a lot of spare time these days. Is this a bike more for collectors and home mechanics? Any thoughts on whether this is a good return-to-riding bike for somebody without a home shop?

Thanks...
  2. Marvin_ADV

Marvin_ADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the bike is in good condition and runs well then maintenance is pretty easy on those bikes. Everything is simple to get to, parts are still available for the most part (at least maintenance parts), valves are really easy as well as oil changes.

I had a CB400F that was very easy to maintain and served as a temp daily driver for a few months. I have a good friend that commutes on a '76 CB550K everyday ~40 miles round trip. He bought it for a few hundred bucks in very bad shape, cleaned it up, replaced a few cheap parts, went through the carbs, adjusted the valves, changed the fluids, and it runs like a top.

Bulletproof bikes, go to the SOHC4 webiste for good info.
  3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on how it was cared for, and how you're able to care for it.
    Generally, they are still great bikes.
    http://forums.sohc4.net/ <everything you'll ever want to know.
  4. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll echo the rest-- depends mostly on the shape; as maintenance is minimal and the bike was superb.

The other big plus is the Cycle cover that went with the bike's intrduction ("Honda's Magic Lantern Lights Again") featured a very young Bo Berek (don't know what her name was then).
  5. Brad Felmey

Brad Felmey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maintaining one and "getting it up to snuff" are two entirely different propositions. If it's already running fine and properly tuned, then maintenance will consist of occasional stops for fuel. It is a Honda, after all. ;)

However, if it's not already in good shape, then you're looking at inspecting and/or refreshing brakes, fork seals, carburetors, petcock, valve adjustment, ignition, tires, battery, tank rust, and the list goes on and on.
  6. pilotfish

pilotfish subnewbie

Oddometer:
    Thanks, everybody. I ended up deciding to skip the older bike, as much fun as it would have been, and wait for a newer small dual-sport. It would've been great to have one of the old Hondas, but I think simpler is better for now.

But if a CL350/360 comes along, I may not be so strong. :D