LC8 Adventure Second Fan Install

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cyborg, Feb 18, 2011.

1. far

far ADVreader

Oddometer:
    Then the one god for my test could be the 180F not so aggressive in the charge system, BTW I don't even know if the 160F & the 180F exist for this radiator connector, did you know?
    Thanks for the help.
  2. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Cracking report :thumb I've just bought an OEM fan from the Bay and I'll be looking at fitting soon, as I've had overheating "issues" on my Euro trip this year and a recent rally. I'd like to know where you got the lower teaperture sensor switch from? Is it a KTM part or could I source one from any good auto stores?

Thanks DG
  3. Yascher

Yascher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the next best thing on the list after second fan and new switch is a deflector for second fan, like on the original one on the left!!!
  4. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Recently finished almost 5000 mi. on a GDR ride after installing the second fan and lower temp sensor on a 2005 950. Some days were quite warm. Both fans working kept things a 4 bars when riding slow or pulling uphill. However, I read of quick cycle times and I have noticed that when the fans come on they will stay on constantly until the riding is easier. Is this normal or is there a problem elsewhere to cause them not to cycle during the difficult stuff. Radiator appears to be clean and coolant level is correct. This may be normal, just wondered what the OC thought. The fan kit is one of the best things you can do for your bike. Get it and you will love it!
  5. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    You can get the sensor here
    http://www.advmachines.com/
  6. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    many Inmates have found their bikes run cooler by removing the plastic directing shrowd- I myself left it in place but turned the rubber flaps so they pivot from the inside, so the hot exhausted air goes away from the center of the bike and out the left tank opening

I think having more plastic in such a tight place hurts cooling, back in the age of the Dinosaurs we had a heck of a time getting 900 Ninjas to cool themselves down and removing Kawasaki's plastic bits helped a lot- I'd have to dig it up but Motorcyclist did an article with each mod being measured for temperature drop, showing (as I recall) about 15f temp drop from removing the fan shrowd.

If someone had the time that Bob of Thermobob fame (see here) has they could record the temp drop of the different LC8 mods.

YMMV of course.
  7. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    have those of you with heating problems bled the cooling system? mine overheated when I first got it and it apparently had a lot of air in the water pump area? I initially thought it was a fan issue as the only time it would cool properly was if you were moving @ 40+MPH. after bleeding the fan cycles like it is supposed too and everythign seems to work fine.
  8. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    This is what I would consider to be "normal"
  9. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Recent addition to the kit is a section of reflective heat tape to be applied to the fuel tank surface in an effort to reduce heat absorption into the tank. Granted, not a deflector shield like the other side.... seems to do the job for the header pipe area and I am pretty sure the header gets hotter than the radiator exhaust air. :wink:
  10. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    I installed the second fan on my 990 and have been watching the right fuel tank for boil-over instances - so far none, and its been pretty hot here in VA. No deflection shroud or heat tape installed on the right side. What I do notice is a much quicker cooling rate (time the fans are on when running as a pair vs one).
  11. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    We've had record heat and number of days over 100 in Texas this summer. I noticed my H2W second fan causing boiling of the fuel in the right tank when full almost immediately after installation. A couple of layers of insulating reflective foil tape fixed that problem. I'm glad to see H2W including the tape now, but a deflector would be a better solution. I have the 88 deg (Celsius) switch and I've had no problems of overheating in the TX blast furnace. :D
  12. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    :huh I don't know, I found the tank too hot to touch (before using insulating reflective tape) in the area where the fan output hits the tank.
  13. far

far ADVreader

Oddometer:
    That sensor did you buy in a auto store? or is a ktm stock part?
  14. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Now you're pissin' me off with your US of A heatwaves and 100 degrees :becca

Although we had a hot one today here in Blighty, got up to 14 degrees earlier this afternoon and then the rain came! :D
  15. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Have had my 2nd fan kit for ages, will have to get around to installing it soon!
  16. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Fan kit is not designed to cool the bike vitual... It actually has to be mounted for it to work... Haha. I thought the plug disconnect was going to be difficult, but it was easy. And I made a simple tool out of an elongated coat hanger with a neptune forked type end to push the new plug connector in. And it worked great ( in only 3 tries).

I'd recommend getting the cooler thermo if you haven't already. Oh yeah, make sure you rotate the rad. hose clamp away from the fan blades once fan is installed. Or you'll hear the familiar sound of " playing cards off the spokes".

You need to get that Aux. fan project done so you can immediately buy your next awesome KTM add on. So hurry...
  17. DirtClaudeKilly

DirtClaudeKilly Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    An alternative to adding fans etc is to try a product called "waterwetter". It is said to reduce coolent temperature by improving thermal transfer between the coolant and other surfaces by eliminating microbubbles that act as insulators. I used this on an old motorhome that always ran hot. I sold it before i could verify how good it worked but other old RV owners claimed that it worked well.
  18. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:

Me too ! think I will mount it tomorrow (or the next . . . .day :D)
  19. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    I've used water wetter for years and it doesn't begin to approach the positive benefits of having the second fan on the big girl.

Been there, done that, have two fans.

Steve
  20. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Same here. I put water wetter in my car and 990; maybe it helps but I can't tell the difference.

So ... been there, done that, and yesterday ordered my secon fan.