Center stand skid-plate, r1150gs Adv

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kildala2000, Oct 5, 2004.

1. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    :D

New Center stand skid-plate and front cover guard for R1150gs Adv.
    Pictures on request. As well as R1100 & R1150 GS. $40.00us inc shipping.

Thanks.
    g r a n t likes this.
  2. willbkari2

willbkari2 No Adventure to big!

Oddometer:
    Dude,
    This is a nice piece of work! Got the package today.Have it half put on. The other half tomorrow.

People! This guy produces nice hardware with even metric nuts and bolts for the mounting. Coulda just sent some cheap aluminum fasteners and called good, but he didnt!

I didnt realized just how damn far up north you really are. Wow.

Let me know when the money arrives.

Thanks again,

Will:thumb
  3. big_weight

big_weight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these from Rick for my GS. Ordered on Monday, received following Saturday, installed same day. Great quality on plate and mounting hardware. Mounted quickly, and looks great on the bike.

Great work, Rick!
  4. Kaumajet

Kaumajet H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer:
    I have Rick's centre stand piece and mud guard. Nice stuff and great pricing.

Hey Rick, had a few enquiries about where I got my pieces over the summer. Sent them to Adventurer's Workshop because I had some of Andrew's cards with me.
  5. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    PM'd ya -

I'm close in WA :rofl
  6. Boottrac

Boottrac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be sending a check for one myself, look foward to recieving them! :thumb
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Center Stand Skid Plate

Why is this aftermarket part needed?

Who...yes, WHO, has busted a hole in their cat? Anyone?

Please sound off.
  8. willbkari2

willbkari2 No Adventure to big!

Oddometer:
    Dude,

Hole, what hole? I tore mine clean off the bike. It took three days to find it as I was going so fast that the distance it took to come to a stop prevented such.Then the bike wouldnt run cause my O2 sensor went with it and I had to push the rig 20 miles to nearest Hwy and wait three days for the nearest dealer to send another cat and O2 sensor. Then I found that the hit was so hard that it tore the wiring for the sensor clean out of the harness! Happened to be a yard sale nearby so I bought a lamp for .50 and re-wired the rig. Runs better now than it ever did. I have it for sale now.

Thats my story.
    :thumb
    O, what a mess! If only I had one of these quality made plates in place, my life would have been a whole lot easier.:nod

You know what I mean?
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Thank you. :nod
  10. kv

kv [insert witty comment here]

Oddometer:
    Haven't busted a hole in my cat but I can tell you that there's a lot of paint missing off of the skid plate. Without the skidplate the cat would have taken a lot of nasty hits...off-road as well as on!

3 weeks ago I was headed to the RA in WV. I-81 7 miles north of Roanoke someone lost the entire exhaust system (minus header and cat) off of a Honda Accord. The car in front of me didn't try to miss it, he just ran it over which sent it sliding and tumbling toward me at a high rate of speed. I moved onto the shoulder but it wasn't far enough. I ran the muffler over at 74 mph (according the GPS V.) The stock skid plate is litterally "gouged" but Rick's plate just had a few marks in it.

We didn't go down but the bike did suffer. The brake pedal was bent under the transmission, the rear peg was bent completely backward and was touching the Jesse bag. The ABS went out which of course took the power brakes with it.

Fortuntately we were able to get the bike fixed and back on the road. If it hadn't been for Rick's skidplate the exhaust could have wedged itself under the bike on the centerstand. He may not have built it to prevent an errant Honda exhaust from getting sucked up under the bike but it worked as though he had! When I contacted him to thank him he offered to replace the skidplate if it had in fact been damaged in the incident. :thumb

On a completely different note... Had we been on anything else other than our R1150GS I'm afraid we would have gone down. The wheel isn't bent and I was able to straighten the brake lever with a 2x4 and a hammer. I kicked the passenger peg back into place and can live with a gouged skid plate!

I don't have any pictures of Rick's skid plate right now but I do have pics of the rear rack he made for my Adventure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    Rick,

Do you make a piece to replace the plastic cover over the tool kit for an 1100-GS? Any info. on that item? I've heard good things about your pieces :thumb

Boojum!
    :freaky
    CoatsEast and UH1Nflyer like this.
  12. Nelson

Nelson Shadow Boxer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick
    I just PM'd you, unfortunately my bike is an R not an ADV or I'd take you up on the offer. Do you have a picture of the front guard that I've heard mention of?
    Regards
    Nelson
  13. kv

Oddometer:
    :dunno You have an R1150GSR? Is that the "race" version? :poser :huh

:huh Or do you mean you have an R1150R? :dunno
  14. Nelson

Nelson Shadow Boxer

Oddometer:
    Remind me not to stay up and drink in Jo Momma, GS not Adventure, but it does have the special go fast paint scheme. :1drink
  15. kv

Oddometer:
    :freaky :beer :dutch
  16. Scary Hat

Scary Hat Consigliere

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get some pics!

Tom
  17. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rick, perhaps you'd like to describe what's in the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    check your PM
  19. Jay Bird

Jay Bird Try'n to figure it out...

Oddometer:
    Rick,
    Is a f/c guard available for the 1150GS or is it only designed to work with the 1150GS Adventure?

Drake
  20. Hoppy

Hoppy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most cats are made of a ceramic core. It's filled with specially coated (platinum?) honeycombed cells that are heated and react chemically with the exhaust. As you can imagine, this arrangement is pretty delicate, so it's easy to do damage to your cat without actually putting a hole in the skin. If you do it just right, you can clog up the exhaust with the broken ceramic bits causing bad things to happen to your engine.

FWIW,
    -Hop

ps -- I just took my cat conv off, which is actually more of a reason for a skid plate since a protruding rock will tend to catch on the pipe leading to the Staintune exhaust can.