Going to do Death Valley mid November about 16,17th

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by cbig, Sep 28, 2012.

1. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what we are looking at as far as the roads being open? Been down Lippencott a couple of times but have never seen Hidden Valley and Hunter Pass. Hoping we are early enough this year not to encounter ice and snow up there. We'd also like to complete the Saline Valley run up past the hot springs and head out Steel Pass. Any weather problems up there? Mostly an XR's crew, odd blue and orange bike.

Anything else we need to see? Surprise Canyon? Staying at Furnace Creek.

Thanks,

Chuck
  2. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your biggest challenge will be fuel range. Keep an eye on the weather, as the elevation changes will take you from hot to cold and rain to snow/ice.
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Larryboy had a rundown of road status on his DV thread for this year: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815079

It's quite a long ways from FC to Saline Valley Road. PSR is more popular for hitting the western area.

Surprise canyon is a hike-in you know? It's 5.5 miles and quite a climb to Panamint City. A few backpackers do it every year. Can send links and info if interesed. A friend spent a couple of days up there this past spring, good pix.
  4. cbig

Oddometer:
    we've ridden this a few times. Steel Pass no doubt presents a fuel problem. We may be able to stage a truck at the North entrance. Dunno yet...No gas at Scotty's is a problem. Guess I could take my miserly xr250 and carry an extra gallon for a 230 mile range vs the 600 :D
  5. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. jrsride2002

jrsride2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea, hasn't been gas at scotty's for a few years now. What I did, was start at PSR, and then headed south when we hit Saline Valley Road from Lippincot Pass. Made that loop in October, beautiful. In November, COLD. Those are 4000+ mountains. If you head to the hot springs, you should be around sea level, so maybe wind breakers?? Im sure their are a few penguin nudists around the springs, but it should be relatively clear. But I dont know how jeep guys choice their weekends/trips or anything like that. So that is a possiblitly on steel pass.

For a little more gas, plan your route to Stovepipe. Or get out of the area, and hit up Big Pine or Lone Pine... Relying on Furnace would be to much of a gamble, if I were planning the trip, and usually I do. PM me if interested.:freaky

If you are going up THAT weekend, I would tool around a chase jeep/truck or be the stage truck driver if you got the vehicle and room. I couldn't hold that offer the following weekend, doing the D-37 LA-B-V ride.

~Junior
  7. cbig

Oddometer:
    been from furnace past tea kettle down lippencott and to Panamint, about 118 miles, then back to Furnace. Haven't had the fuel to turn north so that's to be seen. Been thru Echo, Mengel Pass. Maybe Panamint is a good area to stage from this trip.

We are taking 3-5 rv's and maybe a few jeeps as well. Initial plans were to stay at Furnace for the facilities.. on the overflow campground. If interested lets keep in touch. Most of the crew are experienced riders.
  8. browneye

Oddometer:
    There has been some talk from some of the other inmates about a Nov trip to DV. Maybe we can do it then as well. Joel's big rally isn't 'till Mar and that's too long. Lots to see up there, big country. :thumb

Last year there were a lot of us there for Luv2race (John) birthday. Was a good weekend but we got snowed on at Hunter. Made it quite the challenge.

[​IMG]
  9. jrsride2002

jrsride2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would recommend Panamint, they have showers too. Nothing ritzy but showers........ Also the gas station is right across the street. And the restaurant has a bitching looking bar, made by some dude that lives in Darwin.

~Junior
  10. jrsride2002

jrsride2002 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't been cabin hoping yet, nor snow riding. Maybe my buddy and I could get in on that action if he is ready to ride......... "If there is snow, their might be more(meaning me and my buddy)" How hard was it to start your bike in the cold?? One year I was in the local hills, in winter, and it got to about 35 one night. The next morning, I couldn't get the bike started till the day heated up to 50's range. And I have an electric start.

~Junior
  11. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    And don't forget to mention the outstanding beer collection :deal :freaky
  12. browneye

Oddometer:

Amsoil full syn. :thumb

No issues with EFI and electric start (TE630). And we were there during he day, so it wasn't like the bike sat out all night. My buddy's XR was a bit of a biatch to start though. :1drink

That's Hunter Cabin, it's a fun ride to get there, sits about 6800'. Osborne is another one that is fun to go in to. Neat place. Both are not far from PSR.

I love visiting the old cabins up there. Makes for an interesting day and an entertaining place to stop for a break. I bring my jetboil and brew up a cup of coffee or some hot soup. Pack a lunch and a couple'a beers.
  13. cbig

Oddometer:
    We do Death Valley it is cold, been out there with the advrider crew in Jan a few times. Been over the passes with some snow, but have not been able to see Hunter Pass. the fuel problem of Steel Pass has a couple of solutions, just not sure what choice will be done. I can ride my xr250r which gets about 70 mpg if you keep your wrist out of it. My bigger bike has a 4 gallon I can put on it which will get about 160 miles, but the handling sux the greater the fuel carried up front. We may send a truck to the entrance near Scotty's. Hoping this trip will eliminate some ice issues being out there in November.
  14. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    PSR home of the 18 dollar hamburger:lol3
  15. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am headed out next week and I will let you know if we run across any closures or other issues.....And yes we will happily
    pluck down 20 bucks for a Bacon Burger
  16. cbig

Oddometer:
    We'll check the morning report as we get close, look forward to your photos! $20 buys a really nice meal at Furnace! Beers r good and on time at PSR tho. We got BBQ with the rv's ..just gotta figure what we want to see. ..

[​IMG]
  17. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I got reservations at PS over thanksgiving weekend if anyone is going to be there please feel free to PM me. Always fun to have others to ride with.
  18. cbig

Oddometer:
    But we'll be there the 17th for sure, Furnace area. Seems the boys want to be close to the bar!(s) Can't blame them.We got 4 or 5 going in 3 RV's..

I remember selling you some Gobi's for a 950.. Mike? Name slips.. Anyhow we'll be up there with some XR's, a pumpkin or two and a blue bike.

CHuck
  19. browneye

Oddometer:
    Penciled in, not firmed up yet. I recall you were there last year. We were there for John's birthday (luv2race) but haven't seen him post anything up yet.
  20. Luv2putt

Luv2putt RETIRED!!

Oddometer:
    I've been so busy working lately I can't even do a local ride. Too many hours is kickin my a$$. I probably can't do Thanksgiving, but I wouldn't mind a birthday run if time permits :deal