Can ya still ride Christmas Mountain

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by rat734, Dec 29, 2012.

1. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Last year I was able to ride to the top of Christmas Mountain (outside of Terlingua) with a "Hiking Permit".

Is the trail still open?

[​IMG]
  2. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like some info on Christmas Mountain also. That's one of the few places out there that I have not been.Where do you get the permit?
  3. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    The Christmas Mountains are owned by Texas State University these days.
  4. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Well I answered this question for myself. The Captain, Tater Harry, Mikrow and I rode Christmas mountain this week.

Last year we got a hiking permit and rode to the top. There was even a Sheriff's deputy up there and he stopped us and checked for the pass, which I had picked up at the Terlingua Ranch station.

This year I tried to do the same. When I walked in the Terlingua ranch station the woman behind the counter said, "You aren't intending on riding motorcycles on the mountain are you"?, I was in full gear. I said we were only going to ride part way and then hike. I had to then fill out a three page questionaire that included next of kin and emergency contact info to get the hiking permit. She still wouldn't give me the key to the chain across the entry point and said, "You can get your bikes around the gate". She must have thought we had skinny bikes because there was only about 1 1/2 foot of edge to work with to get the bikes across but we managed.

We rode to the top and had a great day.

@ BIG DON - Tigerlilly and I will be in Terlingua for a couple of months. We're stayin' at BJ's. Shoot me a PM or drop by and we'll plan out the next attempt on Christmas Mountain.

[​IMG]
    :clap
  5. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Yeppers, next to Fulcher Road

BJ's RV Resort
  7. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Update on Christmas Mountain

Waldo Bob attempted to ride Christmas Mountain this week. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that motorcycles are no longer allowed. Guess I got the last ride.