CPR Fabrication / Rottweiler; first class

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by alongat, Sep 19, 2013.

1. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    Thanks. Don't go back to your cave. But please allow people to ask questions.

This is a worldwide forum, so there will be others with different priorities to your own.

Be glad that your post has attracted interest, but let others have their say.

Don't apologise for being boring - no-one HAS to read what you post.

To spell it out: If one lives in England, for example, they can buy an ITG filter for just £62. The CPR kit will cost £218. There is the question as to weather the induction noise will be acceptable, so one may end out returning to the original set-up after trying CPR/ITG. It's a risk. This is one angle; there will be many others.

Thank you.
    Deviant666 likes this.
  2. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys - again, I am not looking for attention nor am I trying to stir shit. I like Chris at CPR, I like his products so I choose to share my experience so far in the hope that others can also benefit. I do intend to install all three products over the course of the next few days and I did promise to document my installation experience and then my riding experience so hopefully that will add some objectiveness to this discussion in addition to my subjective observations. The truth is that everyone is entitled to their opinion regardless of popularity so I don't take offence to anyone or their comments here - as I said earlier, I just want to give back to this forum what I have received from it and all the other contributors.

So...
    1- I have a 2012 990R with the Alpina 19/17, stock rear sprocket (42 I think), currently the 16 tooth front sprocket that the R came with although I am going to install my spare 17 tooth (with the 19/17 wheels, installing the 17 tooth up front will effectively give me almost identical results to 16/42 with stock 21/18 wheels). I have done the canisterectomy, have yet to install the SAS bypass plates and resistor. My bike has the factory KTM 2011 Akrapovic map and I am running the Akrapovic non-oval mufflers with baffles out.
    2- My intent is to install the SAS, the CPR filter solution and run it with the current Akra map (which is rich as f**k by the way) and see how it goes with the additional air provided by the Rottweiler. If that isn't ideal for me, I will install the PC-V and load CPR's map and test. If that fails for some reason, I will consider either one of the Powertripp maps via TuneECU or a custom dyno tuned map on my PC-V (I have a great local Dynojet tuner who I have used before - even for individual cylinder tuning).
    3- I will install the CPR doghouse and quick-snap glovebox bracket and report my findings / experience
    4- future aspirations may also include the CPR header / mid-pipe system but I need to work with Chris to determine if that would be compatible with my Akras since I do NOT intend to get rid of them - if not, maybe we can collaborate on a one-off that could potentially become a mainstream offering if Chris determines that there is in fact a market for that.
  3. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    FWIW,

I have just done my first 100 miles with the CPR filter and the seat-of-the-pants dyno is happy. And I LOVE the induction noise! Reminds me of my 660 Rally.... :cry
  4. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Mine's supposed to be here today :clap

I have a 2010 and I am wondering why you'd run the akra instead of the map from CPR?

Although, the really neat thing about TuneEcu is that it literally takes moments to change maps, so I guess you could try em both!

SA
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Before the Akra pipes, I had the Leo Vince and I didn't want to run them without a tune, etc so when I took my bike in for an oil change, I got them to install the Akra map as something to have. I had intended all along to use the CPR map or custom tune but wanted to wait until I got the SAS bypass, the air box, etc done first.

6. boat.man

boat.man Bad decisions make great stories

Oddometer:
    This thread has NOTHING To do with foam density or the price of this or that in Europe! The OP was simply trying to convey an experience he had with this particular vendor! nothing more nothing less!

Okay rant over!

I met Chris for the first time at the KTM rally. I have been running his intake all summer and purchased the Quick release glovebox bracket from him at the rally. Chris was also kind enough to share one of his custom maps that he transferred into tune ecu for an 07 990 adventure. The craftsmanship of his products is outstanding! He is very knowledgeable about the LC8 engine and what it takes to make it run correctly. I had been running an akro map in my 990. But now with his custom map the fueling is much smoother and the fuel economy seems to be improved:clap. Chris is a standup guy and is very passionate about what he does and making exceptional products! The fact that he is providing custom maps that he invested a lot of time and money into for free on his website speaks volumes about what type of businessman he is.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Amen - that Akra map not only runs rich and sucks up fuel like there's no tomorrow, it also creates vibes / roughness that I don't like. I'll install the air intake and get the CPR map loaded ASAP.

8. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Dude, that's so not-cool. WTF are you thinking?
  9. Kafn8td

Kafn8td Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put him on ignore and be done with it.
  10. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got my quick remove glove box thingy ma jingy installed today from CPR.

Very nice and gonna be 10 times easier to service the air cleaner. I think it elimanated 12 screws that you have to currently remove. The only problem I had was the little 3mm screws for the latch were too short.
  11. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    For those who don't know, sporting wood is the direct competition to CPR (and some would say he stole the idea/concept) so I suspect whatever it was was not intended as a compliment.
  12. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    You know, I think it's great you guys like Chris and his products. And that you want to rant on and on about them. But I don't understand why you feel you have to attack people who have questions and concerns about his products and possible alternatives.
    Chris must have a lot of personal charisma, and maybe we would all be very impressed if we had a chance to meet him in person.
    But my experience with him, after purchasing one of his first 950 filter kits was, quite frankly, terrible. There was no help with jetting, no installation instructions, and when I had a fitment issue, he was rude, dismissive, and very unprofessional. All this after spending close to $400 on his products.
    Sporting Wood, ( another Chris), has always been extremely helpful to me, with jetting suggestions and support, even though I didn't spend a dime on his product.
    Maybe you should admit that you simply lack experience on this forum, and spend more time listening to others instead of insulting them.
  13. flynride

flynride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly, your the guy who installed the top of the filter incorrectly and snapped the tabs....then called and complained that your filter was defective. I'm pretty sure CPR gave you the same instructions as the rest of us and none of us snapped the tabs. Use your brain next time.

I think everyone here knows that CPR is a high end fabrication shop. There is no debating that fact. I have personally watched him make the most beautiful exhaust I have ever seen. Who else here has developed a full exhaust for an LC8? He takes immense pride in his work and they make a great product as a result of the passion.

Most people who come into contact with CPR are passionate about speaking up for him and his products because the guy is extremely helpful and has a ton of moto knowledge. I have heard him say at least ten times, that more than anything he loves to sit down with LC8 owners and brainstorm a solution for the issue of the day. As an example, CPR is the one who has dedicated endless hours to figuring out multiple maps for Tune ECU and PC. In addition to the maps developed, he will explain to you how they work, why they work that way and how he made them. I don't see anyone else doing this at the drop of a hat like he does.

CPR is the kind of company we need to make high end products for our beloved motos. Some people would rather save a buck and go with the average knock off products for their bikes, but not me. I will spend the extra time and money to buy a high quality product because I know there is years of knowledge behind that product and I will always have access to that development information.

In the end, everyone has their own opinions and thoughts. What we need as an ADV community is guys like CPR, Wolfman, Klim, Touratech, ETC. We need passionate, high quality craftsmanship that these companies bring to the ADV table. We need "outside the box" thinking and development of new products to stoke our passion of ADV motorcycles. I say, if you are not helping to build this ADV community and carry on the product development that goes with ADV, then your just fodder on the wall. Make a contribution to the community rather than slide through just trying to make a buck.

This is where I stand.
  14. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    haha...this is going all out Facebook

It´s an airfilter. Choose whatever you want.
  15. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    Jeez, what is wrong with you, flynride?
    I get that you have no mechanical ability, other than being able to pull your credit card out of your wallet, but that is not the case with everyone here.
    I'm the guy who didn't receive any instructions with my CPR filter, and asked a question about how it fit. No broken tabs.
    I'm the guy who wasn't impressed with the available skidplates, so I built my own, and posted plenty of info for others about it here.
    I'm the guy who wasn't impressed with the ADV Tank and it's mounting system, so I built my own tank, and posted plenty of info for others here.
    I'm the guy who wasn't that impressed with the available radiator guards, so I built my own. And then built a second one that worked better, and posted plenty of info for others here.
    I'm the guy who didn't want to shell out 900 bucks for and updated swingarm, so I updated mine myself. ( That one made it into the HOW, for everyone's benefit.)
    I'm the guy who wanted a better controller for my heated grips, so I built one myself, and posted the info here.
    But, really, that thing you can do with plastic is pretty impressive, too.
    Deviant666 likes this.
  16. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Speaking of filters...can we put one on this thread?
  17. DuctTape

DuctTape Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a cpr and really like it.

I also like my MWR on my Aprilia RSV4 and Ducati 1198S. Come to think of it, I also like the Rally Raid filter on my 690 and the Volant intake and nano fiber air filter on both my trucks.

Hmmmmm, does this make me bad, a hater or am I just wishy washy?

P.S I also like the K&N I installed on the engine breather hose when I blocked off the CPR base Plate...................yup I'm just wishy washy.:D
  18. skidxr

skidxr Excuses

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a link to this quick release glove box thing???
  19. zgfiredude

zgfiredude Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    Nooo much better sounding than my Rally although I have a homemade one of the other ones... thinks its a V8 now :wink::wink::wink: I really don't know how anyone could NOT like the induction music! and It wants to wheely on different dirt sections instead of spinup as before. Nearly caught me out a few times so far..