Whats the best piece of equipment you've ever bought?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeffro115, Sep 9, 2006.

1. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, America does manufacture a lot. More than we ever have. Not only the value of the products produced, but the amount. What is happening is due to modernization, automation and technology, the amount produced per worker has skyrocketed and we don't need as many workers. So there is an appearance that we don't manufacture as much.

Our manufacturing output has never been higher than it is right now, contrary to what most Americans think. In fact, the US manufactures even more than China does, or any other country in the world.

US manufacturing output

But manufacturing employment is down.

Because worker efficientcy is up.

And now, back to our regularly schedule broadcast:

Highway Dirtbikes hand guards. I've dropped my bike more times than I can ever care to count, and never broke a lever or bent my bars.
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. I'll generally choose quality over marketing hype and/or fashion trends.

2. Given the choice I'll support a domestic producer, especially if I'm convinced their product is superior.

3. Supply/Demand and economic realities: I'd feel dumb knowingly overpaying for anything.

:*sip*
  3. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps. But I think you may be underestimating by several orders of magnitude the cost of materials... materials that often aren't made in China or that comes with healthy licensing fees regardless of where made. Gore-tex is not Chinese. Neither is Cordura. Nor 3M scotchlite. Etc.

They may be making a killing by not passing on production savings, but I don't think so.

FWIW Klim gear is too expensive for me... I wear Aerostich gear.
  4. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Good points made on both sides of this argument. Having owned two high-dollar full suits from them, only to resell later at a loss due to dissatisfaction with the pieces, I do think KLIM could bring their gear prices down from the stratospheric levels they are currently at and still make money. No statistics to quote to prove so but c'mon...what do you think they are paying for labor in China to sew these fancy fabrics together? :deal
  5. marchyman

Oddometer:
    The BMW gear I had with the fancy German (Schoeller?) fabrics that also cost a fortune (but not quite as much of a fortune as the Klim gear) was made in China. At least the Jacket was. The pants were made in Eastern Europe. Nice gear, well made, lots of little details, but.... the jacket main zipper had to be replaced within 3 years and the pants were completely shot in 5. My 'stich gear cost a touch less and lasts at least 2x as long.
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    In ten years the only issues I've had with Aerostich gear were crash related.
  7. marchyman

Oddometer:
    :nod At 8 years I sent my roadcrafter in for some new velcro down the front and a repair to the back reflective flap that got damaged in a low side. It's one of the reasons I went back to Aerostich for two piece touring gear (Darien Light plus the bottoms from a Roadcrafter two piece suit) after trying some other gear.
  8. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    Condom
  9. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Only one? Isn't that generally a recurring multi-unit purchase?
  10. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:

Does anyone here know enough about KLRtastic to make that determination? :evil
  11. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Nah -- I'm only projecting based on my usual buying patterns for said protective gear.
  12. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
  13. Megaplow

Megaplow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing all your posts. There are some fun toys out there. When shopping for a drill press I scored a hiring bonus from work. The extra money helped me put this in the shop:

[​IMG]

Here is a better (stock) photo of the thing
    [​IMG]
  14. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    I'm sure its been posted before, but I bought the warm & safe WP jacket and a set of w&s heated gloves with the remote this year and it has totally transformed riding for me.

I have been riding about 15 yrs, on all kinds of bikes, and have suffered through the winters either freezing my ass off, or wearing so much bulk that it was a pain in the ass.

I wish I would have wised up, and got the heated gear 15 yrs ago! It's expensive, but worth every penny IMHO
  15. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Gericke. I bought a Touareg jacket & pants from NewEnough Leathers 12+ years ago & still going strong & looking good. They are too warm for summer use so they are only worn for winter riding, so they get fewer miles than other gear. So far they look like they will still look good & perform well, long after I'm gone.
  16. Haul Ass

Haul Ass Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Certainly the most used item I have is the heated Jacket Liner from Gerbing. Close second is the Kevlar mesh overpants made by Motoport in the USA.
    Garmin Zumo is right there too.
    I have a G9 Scala and seldomly use it. Same with the Hero camera.
  17. idontno

idontno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    40 glock
  18. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    For me it's been my Rukka Armas. Waterproof, versatile, protective. Yes, it's expensive, but the thread wasn't asking about best value, it's asking about best piece of equipment. Have worn this jacket every day for 8-9 months of the year for last 3 years. Amazing gear.

Also - my Motoport pants and Warm and Safe liner.
  19. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    Gerbing Heated Jacket

Packs small and will make you VERY HAPPY every time you use it. :deal
  20. kumakahn

kumakahn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Gaerne GMX boots, which I promptly had resoled with soles designed for more grip - a close tie with my Sidi Discovery boots, which I use less simply because they are overkill for daily riding. My Gaernes go on easier than tennis shoes, protect well, ride well, keep my feet warm, but not too warm, and last a very long time.