A Maritimer explores Saskatchewan.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by BordenBmw, Apr 29, 2011.

1. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

Thanks Gunner:wave
  2. mxbulldog

mxbulldog Braaaap!

Oddometer:
    Baljennie Road...

The last time I rode through there this fall they had taken a rougcut mower or something and obliterated the trees all down the edges. it is really wide now, not the nice fun narrow little strip it used to be. Great place to go and pick berries int he late summer, early fall though, but unfortunately they mulched up a lot of berry bushes too.

Great pictures of fishing and riding. I have stuck to shore fishing off of the bike but the little pack rafts sure look tempting. Little Red Willow Lake looks like a nice spot to take the kayak as well.

Great report and pretty cool to see someone elses pictures of areas all around where I grew up and now live.
  3. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for the comments, I've been in this province for only 5 years and I was riding a 05 R1200ST before my GS. The first years, I tried to find some interesting sport bike roads and scenic locations. I soon realized that the best scenic locations were off roads and most back road (the paved ones) are in need of repair. Bought a GS in 2010 and now I can&#8217;t wait to find new roads to explore (time permitting). <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:State><u1:place>Saskatchewan</u1:place></u1:State></st1:place></st1:State> is a great place to dualsport. I think you are only 50 km from my place; next year maybe we can go for a ride and re-discover some of those locations where you grew up. <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>
  4. mxbulldog

mxbulldog Braaaap!

Oddometer:
    Yes, I am just off highway 14 by the gas station. For sure we will need to meet up and check out the area some more.
  5. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    This place is so far outside my comfort zone (10C is my Lower Limit-50F ) so this thread is fascinating and informative at the same time. The pictures are superb and I always like seeing people on ADVrider riding places that are off my list and doing things that I would never do. Riding in frost? I really enjoyed this peek inside an alien world.
  6. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">I really enjoy seeing/reading stories of people riding in locations all over the world also. It&#8217;s a big world out there; our parts are just a bit colder for a few months. This morning, -10C with 2 inch of snow and yes....it will get a lot colder with a few days of -40C/-40F <v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 27.75pt; HEIGHT: 30.75pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/OWNER~2.HOM/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/becca.gif">:becca</v:imagedata></v:shape>. </v:shapetype>
    <v:shapetype coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f">5 more months before April:norton<v:shape style="WIDTH: 23.25pt; HEIGHT: 23.25pt" id=_x0000_i1026 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/OWNER~2.HOM/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image002.gif" o:href="http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Norton.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"></v:path><o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 27.75pt; HEIGHT: 30.75pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/OWNER~2.HOM/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/03/clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/becca.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Saskatchewan is one place I've never fished...do they have Walleye there as well?

I'm just wondering, because Western MB has them.
  8. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

Yes but I'm not sure where. There are lots of lakes with Trout and you can also catch Sturgeon in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Saskatchewan River</st1:place> but those are only catch and release. I normally fish in locations with Northern Pike (aka Jackfish) Pickerel and Goldeye. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
  9. goulou67

goulou67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sure hope you have better luck than i did puttin in a ride report on this very fine website ,some people are not very tolerant of typographical mistakes, that might apear when english is not your native tongue, excellente ride report by the way from a fellow french acadian rider from new brunswick,
    keep on riddin the world:freaky
  10. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Je ne pense pas que sait un gros problème mais bonne chose que je peux éditer après avoir posté puis aussi j&#8217;utilise Word pour éditer. Il a encore des erreurs mais je fais mon possible. Je pense que mon francais n&#8217;est pas meilleur, bonne route&#8230;
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
    Un autre déporté de la Péninsule Acadienne:lol3
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    I find people are very tolerant, as long as they know that English is not your native language.

On the other hand, there are those people who don't understand punctuation, or paragraphs.

There has been a number of wonderful ride reports from people who go to a lot of trouble to translate into English or French for the rest of us to understand, and I appreciate that!:D
  12. basepc

basepc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Sask and we always called walleye pickerel. There may be a bit of a difference between 'em but when I am eating them they are both my most favorite freshwater fish! Great photos, thanks for sharing.
  13. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

That's what I like about the ADV forum. People from all over the world with a common passion for everything motorcycle, that&#8217;s what important. I like it :thumb<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I researched that, and you're right. In many parts of the country it is the same fish. Not very long ago for me, a Walleye was a "Dore" and the Northern Pike was a "Brochet". :lol3
  14. goulou67

goulou67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i do agree with all ,there is to much good info ,and great people on this web site to be fussing over typographical mistakes keep it between the trees!! ride the world and come back to this fine website to report it!:norton
  15. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    :super

:thumb<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  16. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok so I know this is a thread from last year, but thought I would comment on it anyways.

Borden I have emailed you a few times and whatnot, and sometime this summer we much try to arrange to go for a ride.

Its really neat to look through your pictures, as you have driven almost past my farm quite a few times, from the looks of your pictures.

Ive said it to a billion people, and not many believe me, but Saskatchewan is really kickass to adventure ride, and explore. There is endless places to go! Gotta brish up on your gravel skills though, fortunately I grew up on gravel so I am somewhat used to the roads!
  17. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    The funny thing about this thread is that I was just about ready to revive it. This thread is like my riding season, both the bike and the thread get put away for the winter.:D

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Put the plate back on the bike last week, changed the oil/filter and air filter and tomorrow new tires. Going with a more road oriented tires this time, from Heidi K60 to Pirelli Trail as I&#8217;m still planning a trip on the west coast this spring (post 55).:*sip* Later this summer, I'm doing part of the TACT so the K60 will go back for sure but maybe just on the front.

If the weather hold&#8230; I should be able to go for a ride tomorrow afternoon. I probably drove not very far from your place last year but I still don&#8217;t know where it is :scratch?

I agree with what you are saying about Saskatchewan, Grid Roads and everything. Great area for dual sport, don&#8217;t know why someone would buy a sport bike over here. If you plan a ride and post it on the Saskatchewan dual sport club webpage, I&#8217;m sure the local guys would show up including myself or just shoot me a PM. <o:p></o:p>
  18. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Tires are changed but I didn't have the time for a ride. Tomorrow&#8230;" forecast snow"&#8230;camera is ready:D. Have to love Canada:rofl
  19. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    So today I took the bike out for the first time this year. A bit cold today, just 4C

[​IMG]

The Canada Geese are back, a sure sign of spring. Still lots of ice on the local lakes but all the snow is gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice to be back on the road:clap, 7 months of riding!

[​IMG]
  20. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Scooby-Doo, my 185lbs Saint-Bernard, always wants to supervise when I work on the bike!

[​IMG]