Lots of assembly required.....

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by CosentinoEngineering, Aug 29, 2011.

1. CosentinoEngineering

CosentinoEngineering Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

so close.....

[​IMG]

mmm, chips

[​IMG]

the roundy round and up and down parts..
  2. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Awesome Chris - you're finally going to tell your tale of "the best of times, the worse of times"!

Can't wait for the full story to unfold about your "build a bike from scratch"

This is gonna be good.

In in - subscribed.

Hold on to your hats folks...
  3. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    This looks insane - fun but insane. I'm in. Can we see a pic or mockup of what this beast will look like?

jak
  4. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm in too. This is going to be good. I've been waiting for you to join up and start to tell this story.

:lurk

G$
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

Jim :brow
  6. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    got any butter up there??

i'm in for this fo sho
  7. GottaRamble

GottaRamble Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice..I've been following the progress on the blog and I can't wait to see more! Subscribed:lurk
  8. Fictitious

Fictitious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks awesome already :D
  9. Daamud

Daamud Life is like a box of Old Milwaukee

Oddometer:
    :eek1 IN.
  10. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be given a special pass to run against the Moto 2 bikes. At least in practise.
    What could it hurt? It's time to shake up Moto 2 anyway.
  11. CosentinoEngineering

Oddometer:
    >>Awesome Chris - you're finally going to tell your tale of "the best of times, the worse of times"!

Yes, finally pulling the finger out and trying to get the project out there onto one or 2 of those internet things.

>>Can we see a pic or mockup of what this beast will look like?

[​IMG]

Fairing design is still in progress but my interest is under the skin. The first bike will be a roadrace version as that is my primary passion but sakurama has been after me to work up an adventure version. An initial look shows that it may work out quite nicely. The linkage front suspension is easily reconfigured for long travel and the compact and light engine/chassis assembly would make a very maneuverable overall package. The increased torsional strength of the upright assembly as compared to telescopic forks should make a much easier to control bike when rocks, ruts, and sand try to deflect the front wheel's path.

>>You should be given a special pass to run against the Moto 2 bikes.

I was at the Indy GP this weekend speaking with Mike Webb and other Dorna people trying to get the bike when it is ready in for at least some provisional running. That is not going to happen as events at that level are very tightly restricted by rules and sponsors. Running in the CEV (Spanish national championship and Dorna testbed) is still a possibility. I am trying to have some input in to the 2013-2016 Moto2 rule package which is currently being developed and which will have a more open engine rule. Exactly how open the engine specification will be is still vague. Regardless of where it will race, it will race. And win.
  12. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    It seems many people reading this already know what it is. Could you dumb the thread down a bit for those who are just tuning in?

Obviously "because I can" but why else are you building from scratch? I am a big fan of improve everything you can come up with an improvement for but usually there is something out there to start with too: use an existing chassis to house and tune a new engine or use an existing engine so you can tweak suspension to perfection.

Since this thread started with engine parts, what are you doing new/different/better with your engine? What have you got planned for the transmission? Clutch?

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!
  13. CosentinoEngineering

Oddometer:
    >>It seems many people reading this already know what it is. Could you dumb the thread down a bit for those who are just tuning in?

I'm currently working on writing up the back story in some manageable chunks. The first go will be posted in a little while.
  14. CosentinoEngineering

Oddometer:
    Like most of the people here on this site, I have a serious sickness. In my case the disease has progressed steadily from the time I was diagnosed as a speed freak as a small child. Its visible manifestations varied from pedaling bicycles downhill and insisting on putting my dad’s lawnmower engines into self made go-cart frames to building the biggest ramps I could at the bottom of the biggest hills around. From here I succumbed to a 2-stroke related complication and spent years as a teenager never touching a wheel to asphalt. After reaching the 'legal driver' stage of my affliction I had a common complication and had a 4 wheel diversion in the form of a 1968 Camaro inspired by the #16 Sunoco racecar. A large amount of speeding tickets followed. Attending college in Manhattan required downsizing from 4 wheels to 2 and a subsequent regression to an earlier stage of the disease. It was here in NYC that I met several people who would be instrumental in bringing me to the brink of.....well, I'm not sure what it was the brink of but I'm it sure was a lot of fun. We rode, we road-raced, and eventually we got dirt bikes and made a mess. One of those guys was Gregor Halenda, a frequent poster (sakurama) and ringmaster of the City Blocks to Slick Rocks trip. We all had a ball (even Flanny) but I was a bit out of shape and in over my head. After a few years of racetrack exclusivity it was great to get back onto the dirt and have some pure unadulterated fun. The racetrack is fun but it is a focused, high effort fun that can be wearying. It is also a harsh taskmaster more than willing to chew up and spit out any half-assed efforts. Its benefit is that increased performance is clear cut: lower lap times=better performance. It eliminates a lot of the subjective evaluations and cuts to the chase: is my design faster or slower?

Anyway, I'm here to share the details of the end-stages of my disease. Although I love dirt, I am a speed freak at heart and that means asphalt or salt and straight or turns. At least somewhere without a lot of trees! I chose asphalt and turns and decided to spend every available dollar going fast. After hooking up with Gregor and another friend, Todd, we started roadracing under the Team Incomplete moniker. It was expensive but a whole lot of fun. We were using the standard motorcycle used to teach future Grand Prix riders, a Honda RS125 2 stroke GP machine. While it was an extremely competent machine I started to wonder why all motorcycles looked so similar and shared the same basic architecture. The answer was, ‘well, because’, an answer any engineer would not accept. This ‘why’ question started my investigations into the details of motorcycle handling dynamics and the desire to build a clean sheet design, the holy grail of any engine designer.

Gotta run now, will continue in another post.
  15. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Muy interesante!
  16. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Good stuff!

17. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Re: Moab trip. I only started having fun when the very day after I destroyed my knee, you broke my fucking hand.... :gerg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  18. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    Im in :lurk
  19. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    :lurk IN...
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer: