Triumph scrambler hacked?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by silverdog, Jul 30, 2013.

1. RedMenace

RedMenace Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have it covered now. I do want to see what your solution to the exhaust clearance issue was. Sent you a pm, will phone when I can. Hoping things will come together this week; I will post photos. So far it is looking very promising. I like the frame on this bike-lot's of mounting options.
  2. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    I don't know what Triumph was thinking with that plastic piece of crap tailight they installed but I think this aluminum Lucas repro is a big improvement

[​IMG]

I fabbed some brackets to mount the turnsignals to the frame under the seat. The mount works well but the wiring is not as straightforward as I expected it to be.

[​IMG]

The Sputnik will need some sprucing up, but that can wait until I get it mounted

[​IMG]
  3. RedMenace

Oddometer:

Matt, what sidecar wheel lead did you end up with and can you post a photo showing where your lower mounts ended up? I mocked things up yesterday, aiming for 12" lead and I am not happy with how long the rear lower mount is ending up.....

[​IMG]
  4. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ask because the Scrambler looks like a tempting choice for my next tug. When I got my first hack 20 years ago for my BMW R100GS I bought some spare spokes... 20 years later they're still sitting unused.
  5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm comfortable with this response from Motoblag, as I knew they changed in '08-'09

Unfortunately this rules out my friend's '07 with one spoke broken already. Having Woody build me a set of wheels would cost as much as what I can get the bike for.
  6. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    overall, I am pleased with the quality and fit of the NewBonneville tailight. If I were to do it over I wouldn't have paid extra for the wiring harness. Advertised as plug and play for the Triumph, it was anything but. The colors didn't match the instructions, niether did the signal light connectors. The leads for the tailight/brakelight were wired backwards so those colors did not match either. It appears there was a miswire for the leads for the power and ground. I ended up cutting up the harness and remaking the grounds. Now everything works and it is neat enough, but I could have used what I had and done that, saving some money, time and frustration...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...but why am I in here on the computer? I should be out in the shop working on my sidecar mounts!
  7. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd have the subframe ready for painting by now, but I had some setbacks. I worked until I started breaking things and hurting myself. Time to knock off for the night!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wise choice, Vernon. Only work when you're enjoying and making progress. Thanks for the pix. I'm watching closely!
  9. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    Roughly 11" of lead on my rig. I think I ended up with 10.5" for the old Velorex setup.

The lower rear mount from DMC is level with the centerstand tabs on the frame. Might be able to get a photo tomorrow.

All the new Bonnies before 2008.5/2009 have a higher than usual amount of broken spokes as solo bikes. Lotta threads on Triumphrat.net.
  10. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    The mounts are all carried on a U shaped pipe which follows the frame down from the steering head, under the engine and up behind the pipes to just below the seat in front of the top rear shock mount.

[​IMG]

The front of the subframe bolts to the frame under the steering head and down front where the two sides of the frame bolt together with a plate.

[​IMG]

It also bolts to the frame under the foot peg. The top front mount and the two bottom mounts are welded to this subframe.

[​IMG]

I used a clamp mount designed for the scrambler from DMC for the top rear mount. The subframe also bolts to this mount, used a tab under the jam nut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The subframe also extends down the left side under the engine. This provides support for the rubber mounted skid plate.

[​IMG]

Ground and cornering clearance is not reduced with the design and it shouldn't interfere with routine maintenance chores or the sidestand or centerstand.

I still have a little work to do before I can mount the sidecar but it is looking good so far....
  11. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    I took the subframe off again to finish some welds and paint it. In the process I discovered the pretty little piece of fabrication I did to bring the left side back over the kickstand to bolt to the frame prevents the subframe from being removed. I had to cut it off.

I think I am probably about where I want to be with this piece. Once the paint dries I can bolt it back up and start on the sidecar end of things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    In between yard work and chores I got a little more work done on the sidecar project. I painted and reinstalled the subrame, replaced the foot pegs with some extra cleated dirtbike pegs I had laying around and assembled the sidecar side of the mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started bolting it up yesterday

[​IMG]

It is not quite ready. I ended up with too much lean out and about 2" of toe out. That will need to be corrected and all the bolts cinched up tight before I can test fly it, but so far so good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped by the powder coaters Friday. Waiting for a quote on doing the sidecar in colors to match the Triumph.
  13. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    It's a heavy gravity day. I was too tired after work to get out to the shop and finish the install. I did stare at the bikes for a while...

[​IMG]
  14. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    I rode it to work today. There is a hint of a wobble which comes and goes, but is manageable. Rear tire is bald, so I won't bother trying to chase the wobble down until I get some new rubber on there.

I need to recheck my measurements but it looks like I ended up with about a 56" track width measured from the outside edge of the rear wheel to the outside edge of the sidecar wheel with about 1/2" of toe in. I was aiming for 12" sidecar wheel lead. I haven't actually measured it, but I was constrained by the dimensions of the hardware I had available. I think it may be a little more than that, but unless it causes a problem, it is what it is.

It was too short of ride to adequately evaluate the steering effort, but first impressions are it is easier than a Ural or my KLR rigs, so I think it is going to be OK. Straight line handling is neutral with no pull right or left at steady or gradually increasing or decreasing throttle up to 65mph. Didn't want to go any faster than that on my initial ride. Didn't notice any drastic tendency to yaw with throttle or braking. No ballast but it seemed stable in the corners. I can lift it with a little effort, but it seems planted under normal input.

The Triumph seems to pull it without appreciable effort. All in all, I am happy so far.
  15. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    took some measurements:56" track width(out side tire to outside tirre) 15" sidecar wheel lead.

compared to my KLR/Sputnik rig at 54 1/2" and 16" lead
  16. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I took some measurements:56" track width(outside tire to outside tire) 15" sidecar wheel lead.

[​IMG]

compared to my KLR/Sputnik rig at 54 1/2" and 16" lead

[​IMG]
  17. Motoblag

Motoblag Replacing skill with will

Oddometer:
    Regarding the rear brake going through pads already, I found I was replacing slider pins and brake pads far too often until I got the Up-N-Over caliper relocation kit: http://www.triumphtwinpower.com/ttp-upnover-caliper-bracket.php

Pricey but the consensus on TriumphRat was to remove and clean the rear caliper, slider pins and brake pad backs every three or four thousand miles. :rofl Lazy enough to pay for that part and it works a treat.

Haven't replaced a set of rear pads since I bought that part. I now have the sidecar brake plumbed in to the rear brake so it sees less application than just braking on the tug.
  18. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    thanks,that's good to hear. brake location made me nervous so I already ordered that bracket!

19. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Vern, I remember you telling me early on in my KLR rig ownership that there wasn't a lot of extra power to be had... so true! How's the Triumph?
  20. RedMenace

Oddometer:
    It's not as smooth as butter, but it feels that way compared to the KLR; It doesn't have unlimited power, but compared to the KLR.....:D

The KLR isn't a serious dirt bike, but I suspect, compared to the Scrambler it is...

I really have only done a few short pavement rides on the Triumph with the sidecar attached. No passenger or loads, no dirt or rough stuff. Too soon to tell. But it sure is a pretty bike, and I love the sound it makes.