RR from SLC to Glacier Nat'l Park

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HitGirl, Jul 10, 2011.

1. HitGirl

HitGirl Ride on

Oddometer:
    I figured it's never too late to post a ride report, even if it is a year late. Still might be good enough time for those traveling a similar route this summer. Many of the suggestions were from fellow inmates and I'm so grateful for their input...it made for a fantastic trip. I'm really happy I got to meet a fellow ADV'er in Lethbridge, Nillso1, who will now surely be a lifelong friend.

Here's the RR:

August 14th, 2010- I-15 to Idaho Falls. Rt 20 to Mesa Falls (rt 41). Very beautiful and worth the detour. Headed up to Ennis, Montanta via 287. Stayed at Sportsman's lodge which was a pretty nifty place to stay. Met a fellow ADV'er there, Brian, who we road with throughout the week. Just over 400 miles our first day.
    [​IMG]
    Rt 20 to Mesa Falls - beautiful!

August 15th, 2010- Took 287 out of Ennis to Virginia and Nevada cities. Pretty cool little mining towns. Head out via Rt 1 to Philipsburg ghost town. Very nice dirt road. Ran into our ADV friend Brian just outside of Drummond off 271. Rode dirt roads to Oviando and to Seeley. Rt 83 north to Rt 2 to Coram. Lunch in Swan Lake. Hit a camper cabin at the North American RV Park in Coram. Drinks at Packer's Roost. Beware if you're the only female in the bar!
    [​IMG]
    Brian's in the middle - an adventure rider, I'm on the right and Raven is on the left.
    [​IMG]
    Philipsburg Ghostown

August 16th, 2010- Drove around the park via Rt 2 to 49 through East Glacier to 89. 49 was very fun and windy road with good views. Took Rt 17 into Alberta at Chief Joseph customs. Drove around Waterton. Left Waterton for Lethbridge and met fellow ADV'er for the first time (Nilsso1). Grab some pizza and had to hurry back to make it through customs at Caraway. Drove back to Coram, it was pretty chilly and we had to be real careful of wildlife.

[​IMG]
    East Glacier - Rt 89
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nillso1 showing me the route home!

August 17th, 2010- Breakfast at Glacier Grille (fantastic Montana coffee). Toured the park and the famous "Going to the Sun". Headed to Babb for the famous steak everyone talks about. Even spotted a few grizzlies along the way. Rode back through the park at dusk and we had the entire park to ourselves. Highly recommend waiting til the evening when no one else is around.

August 18th, 2010- Drove to Polebridge Mercantile. Left the Mercantile by taking Red Meadow Road (40 mi of dirt/gravel) to Whitefish. Dinner at Bulldog Salloon which had great fish and chips. Rode to Columbia Falls and stayed at North 40. Very nice cabin there and hot tub. Drinks at the Blue Moon, which is an awesome cowboy bar if you're lookin for some two-steppin. [​IMG]
    Polebridge Mercantile is worth the visit!

August 19th, 2010- Drove to Kila via Rt 2. Map showed a paved road but it was gravel fire roads. Pretty easy place to get lost if you don't have a map detailed enough, which I didn't. Tried to cut to 93 but it wasn't so easy. Traveled 40+ miles on dirt for about 3 hrs. We only traveled 10 linear miles. Head to 93. Traveled to St Regis via Paradise Scenic byway. About 350 miles traveled.

August 20th, 2010- Headed south to Missoula. Stopped in the beamer shop to say a little hello. Drove to Chalis, Idaho and then onto Sun Valley. Stayed in Hailey, ID at Big River Inn. Great hotel and I highly recommend it. Dinner at a little beer bar and burgers.

August 21st, 2010- Left town via 75 to 84. Hit very strong winds as we passed through Snowville. Incredibly hot in SLC (104 degrees) and clean up the bikes. Back home and the trip was far too short.

I'm really looking forward to doing this trip again someday. It truly was an amazing trip and just not long enough!

Look forward to hearing from those of you who did a similar trip!
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff!

I'm in Glacier every summer on the RT two-up. My m-i-l lives in Bigfork...so I may be the only dood that likes to go see his m-i-l.:lol3

I gotta get on those MT dirt roads!(not on the RT two-up).

Thanks for sharing.
  3. nilsso1

nilsso1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suprised you found your way out of Lethbridge after getting directions from me.. I still havent made it to Salt Lake, going to make it to the races one year