KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks, gents -- new MOSFET R/R is on the way . . . . .
  2. dreccles

dreccles V Rider

Oddometer:
    South Shore of Gitche Gumee - NorthWest Wisconsin
    A K&N Filter and a Stage 1 DynoJet kit change the bike completely! :-)
    Lot's more power across the entire rev range and Easy wheelies!

I found that aftermarket pipes did little, the pipe even 'gutted' the low end power for an HP or two at the top-end... not worth it to me.

3. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:

those k&n filters are worthless on the klr. the way the metal frame is it blockes more air than the uni or no-toil. pluss the thin material doesn't trap enough dirt. A thick properly oiled foam filter is the best way to go.
  4. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Er...no.

You do get a bit more power down low but peak horsepower is affected very, very little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from http://www.patmanracing.com/klrdyno.htm

Richening up the mix a bit at the lower end makes a positive change to the rideability of the bike, I think, but I don't think the Dynojet kit is the best way to accomplish it.

You will definitely say "adios" to your gas milage using that kit. :deal

Turning out the mixture screw and shimming the needle is by far a cheaper and better way to go, I reckon.

EDIT: I should specify that this was from a Gen 1 (pre-2008) KLR. Not sure how much the later motors have changed...
  5. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info STU,I'm all about simple and hardware store instead of motorcycle store mods,and Im cheap and like my fuel mileage to stay good.
  6. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a million and one things you can do to a KLR. IMO, it's the most MOD-able, FARKLE-able and versatile bike ever.

Haven't even had my bike license for a full year and I know the bike inside and out (to a degree) because it is so easy. You can spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars modifying it, but to me... if it ROLLS and gets from A to B, it's FINE.

I just add things that make it more comfortable for me. None of these things we talk about are ever a MUST. I have a K&N air filter and I'm gonna stick with it. Why? cause I don't care enough to change it. It's a KLR. It can gobble dirt :D

I think it's nice to make your bike your own, but I think we kinda get sucked in to changing everything. Gotta step back sometimes to see if it's actually worth messing with.
  7. 8lives

Oddometer:
    After doing a complete tear down and rebuild on a 1981 XS650 which included makeing it a hard tail bobber,fun project,but I bought the KLR to ride and its been great,Mod all you want cause its fun but Im taking a rest from building for now,could change at any moment.
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Engine mods.

Of all the engine mods I have done, 685 kit, advance exhaust cam,WR muffler, Stage 2 dynojet kit, K@N filter, drilled air box, nothing has helped the top end, but everything has improved the bottom end to a point where I have had to change my riding style.

Not complaining, on the contrary, love the tractorishness, but what will make better top end? Cams, porting? and how much will it effect fuel economy? its bad enough now, but just goes so lovely.

Interested in others experiences

And to add to the oil part, I am running Penrite SIN 10w70 fully synthetic.
  9. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Do tell of your WR muffler mod,I'm interested and all eyes(cause,well I can't hear ya)is NZ New Zealand?
  10. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

Not a lot to tell really, Standard WR 250/450? muffler. Cheap ,relatively easy to bolt on after making a slight "s" shaped mid pipe. Have it mounted on an angle the same angle as the bottom swept up bit of the side cover on a gen 1. Looks good , is thinner so no tyre interference issues. Its a little loud for my liking, but not as loud as a lot of aftermarket pipes. Not that much lighter than the genuine one. Will find a pic somewhere and post it up later.

Yes NZ is New Zealand, I am in Nelson at the top of the South island.

Edit, found some pics.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  11. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Thought it would be fitting to show my new headlight off a lil. Its a 7" led headlight by truck-lite mounted in a 2010 Yamaha v-star 650 classic's bucket then mounted to a custom bracket witch in turn was mounted to the klr's slightly modified headlight mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and the pics.I would like to come to your country someday,I have friend who is from Te puke and enjoy his take on the place.I say it's the farthest you can get from California without getting closer,earth curvature joke.enjoy!
  13. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Bitchin looking KLR,Kills Little Rodents I like it.
  14. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride in dusty conditions, as per K&N, you should be using a prefilter. Uni or even stock filter oiled with foam oil works better in dust. As for Dynojet...I use an A/F meter and O2 sensor. Dynojet needle is good but their recommendations for main jet is far far too rich. Your mileage will suffer. I'd recommend you switch to a keihin main in the 142.5 or if mileage is priorty (shouldnt be if you're re-jetting lol) go with a 140 main. Yes, even if you are using the bestest pipe ever made...:lol3

Also, Dynojet's recommendation of drilling slide to 1/8" is often too much for some KLR's, If you get stumble when you wick the throttle this is the reason. I recommend 7/64ths.
  15. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had done the large front rotor and was still not happy with front brake. Rear either for that matter.

Thought I would mess around with larger caliper. Bought some front calipers off an SV650.
    No reason for that model. Just that ebay is full of salvage parts for them.

Tonight I welded the SV mounts to the original KLR brake plate. Still getting a spongy
    feeling in the brake handle even after bleeding the crap out of it.:dunno

The more I test rode it the better the feel got. Can almost do a stoppie now.:D

[​IMG]
  16. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your bike, You made it yours, and that's y God gave us the KLR. What hand protecters do you have ?
  17. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    MW650

Nice looking mod, how is the output compared to stock?
  18. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:

Well I wont have any comparison shots of the stock light and this one due to my stock headlight falling to the floor from where I had placed it (glass hitting concrete is not a good thing). If someone near me had a stock set up I will try to get some comparison shots. This weekend I hope to get out for a night ride to get some pics.

As far as power usage though the light is designed so that at 12.8v, 1.80a (low beam), 3.60 amps (high beam) witch turns out to use 23.04 watts on low and 46.08 watts on high.

And as far as lumen output I need to see if that is mentioned on the specs on truck-lites website.
  19. Mw650

Mw650 Bob

Oddometer:
    Here are two night shots of the headlight from last night

Low beam
    [​IMG]

High beam
    [​IMG]

I think that I may have the adjustment just a lil high but since I was not pulled over by either of the two cops that I was behind at different times I'll take it that its good for now.
  20. securety10

securety10 Stuck...

Oddometer:
    If any of you guys run across a Britannia Composites XS Twin (or even a Phoenix) for sale would you be kind enough to PM me if ya remember?
    I threw up a WTB thread in the Flea Market but figure I'd drop a line in here also. Guess the XS Twins aren't made anymore and I just don't think I can justify the cost of a new Phoneix once you inlude shipping and VAT. Seems nice and all but $800+ new :huh.

Or if anyone has any other ideas for a fairing somewhat similar to the XS Twin/Phoenix? Seen some universal fairings on ebay and elsewhere, but they look pretty cheaply made.