Show us your TransAlp modifications!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by modrover, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Great vid, Cory.

Nice example of a fun ride in the dez.

What kinda tires are you running now that your a Nevada boy?
  2. Lucky j

Lucky j n00b

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the paint!

Are you getting thoses stickers from the dealer? My TA also need a lot of TLC (body and paint) after many years of use and abuses. But she still run great!:D

3. Z_HARSH

Z_HARSH Like margarine?

Oddometer:
    Awesome videos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not done yet, but my whole goal is to keep up with my buddy on his KTM 950 Super Enduro. Keep in mind, it's dry weight is about as much as the TA's wet weight stock, and if you take off the stock headlight, fairing, dash, tail-light assembly....you can save some major weight in comparison to a 950SE.

All I can say is yes, I have a lot of modifications on my TA now, but it amazes me more and more each time off-road. It is a bit of a belly dragger stock and the stock suspension (especially front) is weak and feels like you will break something if you hit it hard, but with a little effort and some money this can be overcome.

I went with forks off a 2001 EXC300, I believe in 04 they did quite a lot of updates and then again in '09 and '12???, I would have gone that way or newer but they were a buddy's and he gave me a good deal. I put in 48kg RaceTech springs and they are excellent, I have no complaints other than the seals leaked from day 1, but it's not like you can't ride with leaky seals. I spun a new center stem and used the stock triple clamp but would have bought one if I had had I realised you can just buy them in time. Although mine is titanium. I am also very happy with my 320mm EBS supermoto disk. I was hesitant on the stock KTM Brembo caliper but it is fine and has not boiled on me yet.

Personally I think that an 18 inch rim in the rear with a super lace from Woody's is a huge step forward especially in the rocks and rough sections if you are going to gas through them and not struggle. But then you have the gearing issue. I have been running 15-47 with the 18 inch rim, it will do 70 mph at about 2.5k rpm in 5th (a guess since I don't have a tack anymore, but a slight crack off no throttle) and is too tall on the steep, loose, rocky up-hills. I am running an AfricaTwin hub and swingarm (RD07 apparently) and I had to have a "custom" made rear sprocket to gear it down by adding 5 teeth on the rear, but it was less than $75 delivered for an aluminum one (more info on the AT thread - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21663675&postcount=12429). It is roughly 3 teeth in the rear to equal 1 in the front so I figured it is easy to find a 16 tooth for the front if necessary. I haven't tested it out and will be happy to report back in a week and a half.

I'm still running the stock '89 rear shock, you can tell that is not on par with the front, the front sucks up the bump and the rear rolls up and over, but nothing $800-$1200 can't fix. I still think there is nothing wrong with the RD07 rear end with TA linkage though.

Really, dropping it and busting up the stock plastic is the biggest risk. Personally I have no interest in crash bars, just a bunch of unnecessary weight in my opinion. But without the fairing you lose the comfort on the road. I wouldn't suggest making a fairing like I did unless you have gobs of tenacity and 3+ months. But it has been crash tested and the nearly indestructible Pro-Taper bars take all the impact unless a rock just so happens to be poking up in the wrong place. But crash bars might not help there either if you are un-lucky.

The videos are perfect examples of what you can do on a stock TA, if you get into the baby-heads you might need a bit more suspension and ground clearance though especially if you are on the pegs and riding through like you should.

Tachedoutoffroad, feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help in any way I can in your adventure.
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    21781944]Great vid, Cory.

Nice example of a fun ride in the dez.

What kinda tires are you running now that your a Nevada boy?[/QUOTE]

Thats a stock TA only a pipe. I have since done the NX fork swap and Ohlins rear shock. I'VE been running the kenda k270 front and rear I like them.
  5. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot! Again!

I "should" sell my Husky or XR first and then get a TA, but this is America... So I may just go get it!
  6. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
  7. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    That camera angle was cool. What was the camera mounted on?

Looks like the TA was taking the whoops/ little rollers pretty well.

There's still one thing.... We're are all the trees and mud? :freaky

[​IMG]
  8. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:
  9. TRBaron

TRBaron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah I'm having them custom made with 3M stuff.
    It should look pretty much like stock but just a slight colour change since darks and blacks don't show up well on an already dark background.
  10. Lucky j

Lucky j n00b

Oddometer:

Ok, thank you. I might have to go this way to!
  11. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Koonzee

Koonzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    My, that's pretty.

Well done !
  17. JBMorse

JBMorse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks,
    After a ride to the White Mountains with the wife today I have decided to look into some alternate exhaust systems for my Transalp.
    Right now I have a Supertrapp which came with the bike. When I first got it there were about 14 discs and no fiberglass packing. It was very loud. I've now re-packed the muffler and installed 8 discs, but I still feel the muffler is way too loud, especially for longer trips. So I am thinking of alternatives. I would like something quiet but also light. I also have a stock muffler that I acquired with a bunch of other parts but haven't tried it because it weighs so much.

I have searched and read up on some systems but would like more info or opinions. Here's what I've found available (mostly from Europe):

Arrow Silencer (Ebay Italy)
    Not too expensive ($309 US plus shipping) and looks light. I found only one video showing the sound and I can't tell that it's any quieter than mine. I know this is a trusted brand of aftermarket exhausts.

GPR Silencer (Ebay UK)
    Can't find much on this pipe. It looks nice and at $289 US it's affordable.

Fuel Stainless Steel Oval (Ebay UK)
    Looks nice and light and also affordable at $259 US plus shipping. Seems to be a newer company and I can't find much on this exact pipe either. The ad says "road legal" and I'm wondering if in the UK that means it's quiet?

Dominator (Ebay Poland)
    Looks nice and is advertised as 94 dB (same as Laser Produro). Can't find much about it though.

Laser Produro (Laser
    I have read a little on this pipe here and it seems to be maybe a little quieter than the Supertrapp, but not by much. It's also pricier than the others I've found, currently on sale at $292.

Marving (Wemoto UK parts site)
    This looks nice too. A little pricey as well at $340 US. I've read that these aren't terribly good quality, showing rust after a couple years' use.

Mufflers from other bikes.
    I read Ladder's post about fitting a DRZ muffler and that sounds like a nice idea. I saw a couple posts about fitting GSXR mufflers, but I'm not crazy about the fact that they don't exactly clear the stock plastic. I would like to add pannier racks soon so I'd like to keep the bike as narrow as possible too.

So do you folks have any advice as to which route to go? Again, I'm looking for a quieter sound but lighter weight. I don't care too much about power gains; my bike needs better brakes and suspension more than it needs more power. Those will come eventually.
    Thanks for any help!
  18. csustewy

csustewy Motojero

Oddometer:
    As a point of clarification, the GSXR exhaust can fit nicely without any plastic interference:

[​IMG]

Best of all it should cost you less than $50 all said and done, including hiring out welding and bending a new link pipe from the headers to the can (find a non-titanium flange for the link pipe, pre-2001 model year IIRC), and it weighs a whole lot less than stock. While the GXSR exhaust is noisier than stock (more of a growl), it is assuredly much less bothersome than the SuperTrapp.

The options that you have listed all seem very interesting and I will be interested to see what ends up working for you.
  19. TRBaron

TRBaron Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My GSXR bolt-on didn't even need any custom work for a link pipe.
    http://i.imgur.com/14FpsDf.jpg
    [sorry don't have a better shot atm]

After fitting the new stainless steel header pipes the link pipe that came with the carbon fibre can slotted right in.

I'm using a Delkevic 14" oval.

I did make an extension link on the muffler mount bracket to get it to hang at the right height, but thats it.
  20. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    laser is either street or race. The street is perfect imo, way quieter than supertrap. I had to bail on my supertrap when it became a rusted mess, best thing that ever happened to the bike