The Mobius Trip

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DR. Rock, May 23, 2008.

1. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Did LDF ride out of the canyon? :ear

Prolly have to wait for the report.
  2. Vixen

Vixen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm betting she did! :clap

(unless it was just too risky) Dr. Rock seems to be really good at judging the risk factors on these mobius trips. The further you are from home, the more time you have left on your trip, the less risk you take.
  3. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    We thought yesterday was tough riding.

'till today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
  4. malibu_dan

malibu_dan Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer:
    This is almost better than the Dakar... I mean, really. Gotta get me some tassels!!
  5. bluemtnridr

bluemtnridr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't be fooled ,LDF is a very skilled rider. If she doesn't feel confident about a certain section they will relay the bikes till they get to a safer area. Some times I think it has as much to do with how tired they are as to anything else. In the short time I was fortunate enough to ride with them I was impressed with some of the terrian we rode with no problem at all. Get this gal on open trail and she's like trying to catch smoke...........

Have a great trip guys

JD
  6. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Thanks JD & dan. A solid day riding today. Everything just right, weather, terrain, routing, scenery. The whole package. A short day to Crater Lake tomorrow. If anyone wants to intercept us over the weekend, we'll try to camp @ crater lake tomorrow night. We have wifi tonight and will check PM's tonight & in the am.

7. motorcyclejazz

motorcyclejazz Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's what it looks like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fi7yqYWWMM&feature=plcp This is rim to rim in about 17 minutes (on a much lighter bike) in a 1 - day transit of T2 last July. My issue was Baja Gearing, which made the climb out the west side an exercise in slipping the clutch (you'll hear plenty of that in the vid).

Pretty ballsy stuff on big, heavily loaded bikes - especially going east to west. Salute!

m
  8. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    nice to see you on the move again. hope to catch a section with you 2 some day :clap
  9. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

Great video! The east side drop in was a bit rocky but the climb out... I began to wonder if there really was a road at all!!!:eek1:eek1:eek1
  10. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    Wow! :eek1
  11. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    We're going deluxe tonight, staying @ the crater lake lodge, on opening day for the season. No camping up here, still too much snow. We'll go on a hike and take lotsa pitchers.

12. McDOPE

McDOPE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remind me to avoid this section should I ever hit Idaho. Rocks for the sake of Rocks doesn't "ROCK". Hang in there DR. ROCK.:permazot
  13. Tn. Walrus

Tn. Walrus Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer:
    Crater Lake National Park just posted on their Facebook page that they had "16 hardy souls" show up for the ranger talk at the Crater Lake Lodge. I wonder if Doc and LDF were there for that.
  14. dvwalker

dvwalker Lets go

Oddometer:
    no kidding lots of snow, webcam at steel visitor center. Need to view in PST day light hours
  15. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    That "road" reminds me of Fandango Canyon Rd in Central OR. It starts out a nice smooth gravel road... but is rut city after 1/2 mile then ever increasing rockyness after the 2 miles of ruts. After about 17 miles of rocks it turns to sand and you rip along quite nicely until you see "the cattle guard", a raised up affair that can only be taken safely two ways: super slow or wfo. Of course wfo will get even an xrl about 5 ft of legit air time.:lol3 The best/scariest thing about the cattle guard is you can't see it if you're riding in a tight group due to dust.:eek1
  16. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Nice video. I'm not sure I would want to do that on my fully loaded KLR. I'm impressed by AlbertaStrom doing it on a loaded VSTROM.

In the video it looks like your SPOT suddenly went AWOL at about the 3:30 mark. If so did you manage to retrieve it?
  17. jeickerman

jeickerman Full of it.

Oddometer:
    Looks like Dr. Rock took a run at the land speed record for a DRZ400S (in yellow).

Did he pull a Rollie Free and dress down to his undies for minimum weight and maximum aerodynamics? :eek1 :rofl

J
  18. Questor

Questor More Undestructable

Oddometer:
    Looking at his Spotwalla, it looks like he reached a top speed of around 38 mph! :lol3

We will have to wait for the full story. :deal

Q~
  19. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    It's been some time since Dr.R's last post. Anyone know where they are?
  20. Tn. Walrus

Tn. Walrus Knuckle Dragger

Oddometer:
    If you look at the bottom of his last post, there is a link to the spotwalla page for mobius 9