Vintage MX, vintage body and bike

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pvangel, Mar 24, 2011.

1. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    The girls lined up and ready to race.... if only I was:1drink

[​IMG]
  2. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Headed out for one more ride before Budds Creek.

[​IMG]
  3. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I want to ride that bike!

I'd trade the WRR for one if I can find one. A nice clean one.

I can pin it. :D
  4. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Flug, you are welcome to try it anytime, maybe at the next AK open practice or if ACE comes back this year?
    The 11's are sold out so I asked my dealer yesterday to put me first on the list for a 12 which should be in around mid summer? I have to say it has been a great bike and trouble free, and more fun than an old guy should have. :clap
  5. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    where do I start. I stopped riding in 82 (unplanned) marriage (unplanned) navy (unplanned) kid (unplanned) and after discharge from the navy in 89 (unplanned) (honorable!) the years started to roll by. I never stopped thinking about dirt bikes. never. the GS was a tease. great bike but road riding is masturbation with a helmet on I don't care how many miles you do at the end of the day you still didn't really do it.

and the years rolled by. I can still do it. I can still do it. I know I can do it....

2009 gee open practice on the WR in the mud. :huh

things you took for granted when younger suddenly became very intense. I tire kicked at Moroneys for years. Still do. I watched the 4 strokes hit the floors and the 2 strokes (mostly) vanish.

Honda dropped the CR 125. :eek1

there ought to be a law.

I used to reason, if I went into Moroneys and they said "we're sick of seeing you, take any bike and get out and don't come back"

where would I ride it? all our old haunts were gone. hay fields now housing developments.

our private mowed practice facility the aqueduct. sure go ahead just be ready to out run a helo or a sheriff on a quad after about 15 minutes.

who would I ride with? they all hung it up 30 years ago!!!

what if I go to a race alone and get hurt?

what if I go to a race with someone and get hurt? :cry

I figure with a little practice (or lot) I can still ride fast enough to get hurt really bad. but I'm still going back out one way or another. The 2008 WR Yamaha should have been a YZ 125. Mistake bike that was. Should have just done it. Give it hell pvangel, I just dumped $1500 sunday on a new lens. :D
  6. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I really want to ride one of those 150's. I'll bet that thing screams and hauls ass.
  7. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    NF, although I rode street from 16 in Chicago (I was a daily commuter) till 41 when I picked up and move tp PHX. I bought my first dirt bike when I was 38...XR 650 R.

Well, I'm 49 now and as you know, I have NO MX racing experence. I gota give it a shot. I've gone to 3 VMX races, just to see who the good guys are...

YOU can do anything you put your mind to. Sell the 250 and buy what ever suits you (V-MX or modern) and go to the track.

Time waits for no one...
  8. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Totally agree Flug:lol3

A friend of mine, a guy named Ken Smith was a Honda sponsored guy back in the 70's that one day hung everything up. He made a comeback last year after 18yrs away and kicked ass.... amazing. He just turned 50 and plans to attack even harder this year:lol3

Attached Files:

• KEN1.jpg
      KEN1.jpg
      File size:
      52.2 KB
      Views:
  9. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I wise man once told me that " you have to have a passion in life, can't be work and it can't be a women"
    My wife of 28 years supports me in whatever I do and is truly a great women but my passion was my business wich turned into a death sentence. After 30 yrs it was more about accounts receivable's and Workers Comp Insurance and audits and breakdowns and just more stress in my life than I needed, I drank, chewed tabacco, was fat and out of shape. I woke up one morning and told my wife I was selling the business (which did not go over well at first) and doing something else!

I chose quality of life over quantity, My passion is MX and I want to be able to ride once or twice a week. My family comes first but this is trully second on my list, I'm 51 what am i gonna do wait till i'm 60 to start?

The guy who graduates from Harvard in last is given the biggest applause because he has the same piece of paper that the person in the top of the class has....I wanna graduate last at Harvard....
  10. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:

never heard this one before but a worthy life long mantra for sure....

awesome thread so far!

:thumb

cant wait for a bit more of it!

:lurk

and we gotta get you a decent camera!

:lol3
  11. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    pvangel,
    Was great reading your rebuild thread on your sons bike on TT. Great reading more of the story over here :thumb

Andrew
  12. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

recieved this email today, pretty good!

Who was Stanley Woods?<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    In 1923, Who Was:

1. President of the largest steel company?

2.. President of the largest gas company?

3. President of the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:state w:st="on">New York</st1:state></st1:place> stock Exchange?

4. Greatest wheat speculator?

5. President of the Bank of International Settlement?

6. Great Bear of Wall Street?

These men were considered some of the world’s most successful of their days..

Now, 88 years later, the history book asks us, if we know what ultimately became of them..

The Answers:

1. The president of the largest steel company.
    Charles Schwab, died a pauper.

2. The president of the largest gas company, Edward Hopson, went insane.

3. The president of the NYSE, Richard Whitney, was released from prison to die at home.

4. The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cooger, died abroad penniless.

5. The president of the Bank of International Settlement, shot himself.

6 The Great Bear of Wall Street, Cosabee Livermore, also committed suicide

However, In that same year, 1923, the winner of the world’s most important road race, the Isle of Man T.T., was
    Stanley Woods.

What became of him?

He won 10 T.T. races between 1923 and 1939, He lived on the <st1:place w:st="on">Isle of Man</st1:place> and rode motorcycles all his life. He lapped the island circuit at 82 mph in 1957 (The Golden Jubilee) aged 54. He was a wealthy man when he died aged 90.

The Moral:
    Fuck work,
    Ride motorcycles!<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

13. OaklandLion

OaklandLion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seize the day

well done

(this is written by a man who is told I cannot commute on my motorcycle to work.)
  14. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    My sons race bike for this year. He was riding a 85 last year but at 15 has shot up and is staring me in the eye now ( he's not in my weight class yet though) so we got this 99 yz 125 which needed a comlpet rebuild.

The before shot,

[​IMG]

The after,

[​IMG]

A link to the build,
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951892
  15. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
  16. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    1st round of the ACRMX race series starts this weekend at Budds Creek in Md. Its a 2 day event with full points for both days, weather is looking better now and hopefully it is not a mud fest!
    Whe are leaving around noon Friday for the 250 mile trip which hopefully is not in the snow for long.
    I still have three bikes to prep as well as load up and be ready for a noon departure....I am getting sick to my stomach already waiting for the gate to drop...
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    sweet.
  18. sikander

sikander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Once a racer , always a racer . I always feel good when i move my bike in the woods and know there is not track , no rules , no speed limit , great chances to try jumps . But i dont have a powerful bike , hope i buy one , one day .
  19. LC Garage

LC Garage On Any Sunday Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing and the inspiration!
  20. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    7 hrs in rain and some snow, 320 miles, a few wrong turns,bikes at the track , dinner at Hooters(awful), Hotel room, RACING TOMORROW! full report coming.....