Tactical LED 400-500 Lumen Flashlight Suggestions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Drifter, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Drifter

Drifter Chew on This

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy a mid-priced tactical type LED flashlight and I quickly discovered that there are a bunch of different brands and at various price point. I don't know what constitutes a good value on these lights.

Anyone out there have a favorite they could recommend?

Much appreciate the help.
  2. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    If it doesn't have to be a "tactical" light, I'd suggest checking out the offerings from http://www.zebralight.com/

I have not met anyone (in person or online) who has one and isn't pleased with it. The UI takes a little bit to get used to, but it is very easy to get the intensity you want, when you want it. The quality is very good, especially considering the price. And their ratings are realistic, "out the front" useable light based on testing production lights. Not theoretical BS like many companies publish. And they are very efficient lights that make the most out of a battery's charge.

I have their SC52w on my wish list, even though I own the older SC51w. And for the record, I have no interest in the company, I'm just a happy customer. :deal
  3. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Awesome tip. He is asking for a 400 to 500 lumen light and you are recommending a 3.5 lumen light?

I don't own this, but people seem to be generally happy with Clearwater lights:

http://clearwaterlights.com/infopg_andie.html
  5. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been pleased with lights in that lumen range from Eagletac and NiteCore. Battery Junction has good pricing on several reputable brands. Surefire also makes great lights, but they tend to be feature-light for the prices they charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    As someone who uses them in my profession and my life depends on them, I recommend Surefire. I have all sorts and brands of LED lights (weapon-mounted, hand held, compact pocket) and Surefire has been the most reliable. They stand behind their products and you won't have to worry about it taking a crap. They've come down quite a bit in price and you should be able to get a decent one for around $100. I was issued a Eagletac 1200 lumen that retails for about $100 and it's been reliable so far. I love the strobe feature for disorienting bad guys, but it's a little on the large side so it only gets carried when I'm working nights.
    Ragin Rabbi likes this.
  7. SikDMAX

SikDMAX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surefire Fury - 500 lumen, $100. Done.
    AKtiger likes this.
  8. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    I love my Quark Tactical light. Great value and extremely versatile. You can take it apart and flip it around so the clip is another way, and you can interchange any part for a different setup or easy replacement etc. I love the simplicity of the Quark design/shape and the interchangeability. I see lots of Surefires at work and I agree they were the best for years and they also back their products for life. I think if you're not strapping it to an assault rifle everyday, 10 years is a pretty good warranty for a third of the price.
  9. Mike91

Mike91 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Fenix PD32. Not quite tactical, but they have other lights that are (I think). So far, very happy with it.

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned, but should be a deciding factor, is how you control it. It seems like a simple thing, but they all vary. Mine has a pushbutton on the bottom that can click on and off or act as a momentary switch. It has a separate button that cycles through brightness. To me, this was the best arrangement.
  10. JohnBoy777

JohnBoy777 Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer:
  11. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Just a couple thoughts.

You will need to use Li Ion batteries to get full output on these lights. Depending on battery size they are ~$10/battery. Plus say $15-20 for a charger.

I prefer neutral or warm LED color for outdoor use.

I much prefer AA (14500 size) because they are small enough to bite in my teeth and fit in the pocket. Plus regular ole AA batteries are available anywhere.

All that said, my favorite light, and I have at least a dozen high end lights is also the cheapest.

They have different colors and LED flavors but just to get started

http://edcplus.com/blue-xeno-e03-with-xml-neutral-white-t6-p-171.html

[​IMG]

you don't need to spend $100 for a quality light. I abuse the crap out of that Xeno and have recommended it to a number of friends and family who have all reported great success. It's a steal
  12. Mongo357

Mongo357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think 3.5 lumens placed exactly where you want it is better than a few hundred going wherever. I found a decent video, wish the guy would have had some higher quality lights to compare it with, though. And taken it outside to better judge its range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukx7asVTpDA

But for a fraction of the cost, I think the River Rock light does amazingly well.
  13. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the higher end LED lights and ended up buying one of the Mini Maglite LED units. $ 29.00, 226 Lumens, AA batteries and Maglite quality. It actually out shines my sons' LEd light that he paid twice as much for.
  14. jackalsour

jackalsour Xennial

Oddometer:
    Depends what you're using it for. The 500-600 "tactical" lights were actually designed for dazzling people. They also do SOS and strobes that I assume can be seen from further away. For seeing, I agree any LED works just fine
  15. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
  16. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
  17. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    depends upon what you consider "tactical"- just something black that looks good and is bright or something that was actually designed to be fitted to a weapon?

I've got the aimshot TX850 and really like it. the advantage for me was that everything I needed to mount it was included in the price (light, batteries, rail mount, pressure switch, etc). it's waterproof, lightweight, plenty of light output (I have a Surefire U2 Ultra, this one is brighter), and is designed to be mounted on a rifle so the durability is there.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/aimshot-tx850-tactical-led-illuminator-850-lumens-flash-light.html
  18. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    NiteCore MH25-Night Blade -- LOVE mine.

A bit more Lumens than you indicated, at 860

http://www.nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=70

Two reviews of it on the CandlePowerForums --http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-MH25-(-XM-L-U2-1x18650-2x(R)CR123A-)-Review and http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?349866

Features
    • Premium CREE XM-L U2 LED
    • Maximum output of 860 lumens
    • High efficiency regulation circuit
    • Maximum runtime of up to 28 hours
    • Intelligent charging circuit with voltage detection charges safely and rapidly
    • Integrated micro USB charging port is water, dust and impact resistant.
    • Multiple output modes are conveniently accessed via rapid rotary switch
    • User-defined mode provides customized brightness levels plus strobe and SOS modes.
    • Intelligent memory function stores preferred brightness setting
    • Broad voltage circuit accepts both rechargeable and non-rechargeable Lithium batteries
    • Optimized ultra-precise reflector offers a longer beam distance than competing products
    • Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (submersible to two meters)
    • Stainless steel bezel ring protects core components from damage
    • Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
    • Constructed from aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
    • HAIII military grade hard-anodized
    • Reverse polarity protection
    • Stainless steel titanium-plated clip
    • Anti-rolling design

Dimensions

Length: 160mm (6.3”)
    Head Diameter: 40mm (1.57”)
    Tail Diameter: 25.4mm (1”)
    Weight: 145grams (5.1oz)(without battery)

Included Accessories
    Nitecore 18650 Li-ion battery(NL183), tactical ring, lanyard, USB cable, clip, holster, spare switch cap and spare O-ring

$63 on Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-MH25...&qid=1377541868&sr=8-1&keywords=nitecore+mh25

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lenser.....M14x might suit, but check out the whole line.
  20. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer: