will a gs tank bag work on the gsa?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by eng943, Apr 1, 2010.

1. eng943

eng943 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a new BMW GSA tank bag, and it's a bit on the big and bulky side for my tastes.

I think the BMW GS tank bag is lower profile, but I am not sure it will fit?

Anyone?
  2. Sunfire

Sunfire I'm no n00b... :)

Oddometer:
    I was told that the smaller GS tank bag would fit the GSA, and it seems that BMW also states that they do fit now, but 2 weekends ago I purchased the smaller tank bag and it did not fit. The bottom metal clip is too wide - might be that I was sold the old version, but I can't comfirm this.

Maybe BMW has a new version of the smaller tank bag... :dunno

Paul
  3. eng943

eng943 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm. The GSA bottom clip is attached to a vinyl "saddle" that is attached to the tank cover by velcro like thingy and zippers to the bag.

is the GS bag configured the same way? If so, I could simply buy the bottom metal clip doohickey for GSA.
  4. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    The front of the GS tankbag has a metal hook(?) that attaches under the plate with the VIN on it. The rear has the Velcro zipper part, that attaches to the tank.

Sounds like you are talking about two different ends of the bag.
  5. TUCKNKITTY

TUCKNKITTY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought the GS bag and went to MAX BMW online and purchased a GSA tank bag end and velcro. I then took it to a tailor and had a new zipper placed on it- the zippers are not compatible (I also had the hook fabric shortened up). I got the bag on Ebay for about 75 and I put 35 into it at the tailors. It works perfectly. There are several threads on it here! It works great and is a great compromise from the bigger GSA tank bag (water proof too!). To be honest you dont really need the the GSA bag end, just velcro it to the tank- that is more than enough.
  6. K Schnell

K Schnell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The GS bag will fit with a small modification. I flattened, re-shaped, and attached mine. I also had two small stainless spacers made to allow the new/revised clip to not rub on the tank.
  7. GSman of La Mancha

GSman of La Mancha So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer:
    I was in Orlando for biz and stopped by the BMW motorad shop. I was offered a good deal on an GS tank bag so I bit. I got it home and tries to strap it on my 05 GS and I found that there was a metal hook bit on the rear that didnt reach far enough to hook to anything. So, I figured I had the wrong bag - after all, why would BMW put a piece on the bag that was worthless? So I called BMW Orlando (nice folks by the way, no compalints at all with them). They told me i indeed di have the right bag.

So, I put it on. In the rear there is a thin piece of velcro that holds the bag in place. It aint enoough. The bag wants to slide off the side of the tank.

I fthought I could come up with a solution for less money than shipping the bag back to Orlando. Besides, I like it.

SO, I am still thinking about what to do. I think i'll take it to my local shoe repair guy. He's good. He replaced the velcro on my combat touring boots. I think he can sew on another bit for attaching via velcro.