gas gas

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by skibootdog, Jun 18, 2012.

1. skibootdog

skibootdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    picked up my new gas gas 300R e-start 2012 in the box at foward-air. got it out of the box and found it had a steel bar in place of the shock, no wire to e-start, no oil in gear box, both tires flat. I guess the setup fee is worth paying. other than that the bike is very well made and setup like this should last a long time.
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    So you bought a bike in a crate and your complaining because it wasn't set up?

How did you think they shipped them?
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Hadn't thought about it before, but I guess that steel bar in place of the shock let's them slam the rear of the bike down low. Now...and I say this with a bit of tongue-in-cheek...there is at least a shock in the crate somewhere to replace that steel bar...isn't there?:lol3 And I guess the deflated tires also allow maximum low-rider status in the crate.

On the no oil in the tranny, I don't know what kind of shipping conditions these bikes might go through, but perhaps a breather tube somewhere would allow oil to run out if the crate weren't sitting upright all the time. Not sure how it's done these days, but when I worked at shop in the 70's through the 80's, I can't recall any bike we dealt with then...Kawasaki, Honda, Husqvarna...coming with oil in the crankcase or tranny...or a wet battery.
  4. skibootdog

Oddometer:
    no shock, no tubes, no wire for starter, no batt, I paid full price and $1238.00 shipping. the bar is the size of the shock. just letting new owners know to have items checked before shipping. called gas gas parts no word on when they will recive missing parts or cost to me.
  5. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    How did you order/buy this bike and from who? You're saying it didn't come with a rear shock? The whole deal sounds fairly weird. I knew there were Gas-Gas bikes, but is this the way they sell them?
  6. skibootdog

Oddometer:
    I went to spain to get some bultaco bikes and parts. the dealer also sold gas gas so I rode a 2011 and it was street legal and great in the woods and went 90mph and smooth on the street. he said as soon as he got a 2012 he would ship to me.
  7. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the dealer in spain screwed you.
    Why didnt you go through a local dealer? Which forks did your bike come with? Zoke's or Sachs? Is it really the Race version? Bikes never ship with gas or oil. My crate said no OIL right on the side.

Im still waiting on my skid plate and carb kit for my 12'. Love the bike though:clap

post up some pics
  8. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got an 011 300 with e start ,awesome motor, but small tank and big thirst = no range. Had WER do the susp and it works great now, not so good from factory.So far its been reliable,never fouled a plug but use the E start sparingly as the battery doesn't recharge.I put mine on a trickle the nite before and it will last most of the day as long as I don't over use it.
  9. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    there is a big tank available for the 11's. Send the head to RB for the squish band mod, tweak the jetting, adjust float level and get the MPG up to where it should be.
  10. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Sounds like a decent bike, but the dealer network sounds a little flaky. A lot of people bemoan the fact that most reputable brands require you to use a dealer that's accessible in your general area. Without a dealer that's at least in your general area, this is the problem you can run into. I know lots of guys, including me, who could probably live off the internet for parts and equipment for their given bike, but the purchase scenario without a dealer in some reasonable distance can result in something just like this. Maybe a good buy on the money issue and even the quality of the overall bike, but when you get a bike shipped without a shock, that's gotta say something wrong there. If I can't find a dealer to buy the bike I want so that I can talk to someone face-to-face with problems that my mechanical ability can't handle, I'm not going there. I'm not usually worried too much about warranty on a dirt bike, but over all the years of owning and purchasing new bikes, I had one with a porous engine case casting and one with a bad shock. There have also been some very minor glitches here and there that wouldn't have been much heartburn without warranty, but those two I mention would be pretty tough to swallow on my own.
  11. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Who is RB ? What exactly is the tweaking you refer to ? Float height? Or are you suggesting I just start leaning it out and see where it takes me? The bike runs great with no loading up or idling problems whatsoever. I've searched for a big tank and all I've found was that with a little adapting you can make an 08-010 tank work. I've installed a aux tank from Acerbis on the front and it will do untill ......
  12. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:

http://www.rb-designs.com/

I'm in a similar boat as my ec300 runs awesome from floor to ceiling so I am wondering how much better could these mods make it?
  13. Rider_WV

Rider_WV Long timer

Oddometer:
    People on the gasgas forums are reporting up to a 10% increase in fuel mileage once the squish band is properly machined. It doesn't lean out the motor, it makes the combustion more efficient. People on the Yz forums are seeing the same results. I have a spare head for my yz that I need to send out.

As for the float height, gassers are notorious for having the float height set extremely high, mine was so high it would dump fuel out the over flow if it was parked down hill on the side stand.

These bikes do drink more fuel, so do the 300 ktms. My yz will easily get 90 miles out of a 3 gal tank and it's pretty rich.

I am pretty sure Clark makes a bigger tank for the 07-11.
  14. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    I think the Clark tank is only1/2 to3/4 gal more I'm not spending that kind of money for that small of an increase.I haven't noticed any fuel from the bowl spilling out except when its layin on top of me.:lol3I'll guarantee you , I hadn't done any serious dirt riding for years and tried to hook up with my old riding buddies for my first ride on the EC. THEY TRIED TO WARN ME. I was on the ground more than I was on the bike for the first hr.I had installed an Enduro Engineering bash plate that stuck out so far on the sides that i was pushing on it instead of the shifter and brake pedals causing some hellacious crashes. Took a few rides to get a feel for the bike and set it up to my liking now all is good .
  15. compmoto

compmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    we are the only Gas Gas off road bike dealer in MD., as of now ...

http://www.motovationcycles.com/motohome/index.cfm

I do my best to make all my clients pleased with their products/services ...
    unfortunately , you 're nearly 3 hours driving distance from us, in St.Mary's county. but we're only 10 mins to Budds Creek, and Wicomico Motorsports Park , and 35 mins south of DC... if there's anything we can do to help your ownership experience be more complete, don't hesitate to give us a ring ...Kevin
  16. skibootdog

Oddometer:
    found out gas gas shipped bikes with missing parts worldwide. no date as to when they will ship missing parts to dealers or owners. still like the bike but its hard to ride without a shock.
  17. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice of you to offer up your help. But it seems to me and maybe I should read the OP again, but is this not essentially a boot leg bike? Your guy over seas is not there for you on race day. Your local dealer would never hand over a bike that is not ready to go grip and rip.