XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    You could always do the trick for making the holes smaller. Tap the holes to a nylon screw size insert screw trim off flush and drill correct size. Not easy if you are just wanting to do a back to back test.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-set-screws/=l5zb5z
  2. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I'll need to think about that. Just curious for when I tear down my carb again to try some different jets in it. It already had Dave's mod done to it when I bought the bike, but the jet sizes were weird so I tried something different.

I remember inspecting my slide and seeing that the holes were drilled out, but they weren't quite as big as the mod calls for, so I drilled them to Dave's mod spec. I'm just nervous now thinking that I could have grabbed the wrong bit. It's probably the size it should be, but there's that doubt in my mind now.
  3. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    4strokes no longer shows removing this as part of the recc smaug removal. It was mistakenly thought to be a charcoal cansiter, which only appears on california bikes.

I temporarily removed it because with it off I could rotate the carb and get the bowl off with the carb on the bike, and left it off because it didn't pee oil into the airbox.
  4. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

Epoxy glue can be used as well.
  5. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't know any better. :deal I also, mistakenly removed the oil separator, but I re-installed it after I learned its true purpose. :nod Mike Bratcher made an excellent video demonstrating how to remove the SMOG gear from the XR650L. :D

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687908

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PX5yfdJnmsE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spud :beer
  6. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a friend whose new hobby is hitting an 18" plate at a mile with a .300 Win Mag. I think it's a 1/2 minute of angle.
  7. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:

True...you could do that with most drum brakes if you squeezed enough. It's not about being able to lock brakes up but about keeping the brakes right at the threshold before lock-up with as little effort as possible. Modulation baby. My RM250 with an oversize Galfer set-up and a Galfer braided line is a true one finger set-up. I want to ride a bike with the Brembo mono-block calipers.
  8. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:

That's insane, a .45-70 Derrriger? I though it was crazy in a heavy revolver. WOW.
  9. absoluteclint

absoluteclint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Several nice things to mention in that first pic.. Good looking xrl in the foreground and nice 4x4 in the background(never seen a top like that.. Interesting?). I also notice the wncw 88.7 bumper sticker.. Great station that I listen to 90% of the time!

I'm sorda in your neck of the woods.. A little east. You've got a lot of good forest roads to explore in the Pisgah.. Have fun on the xrl!
  10. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotta love gravity :lol3
  11. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected! Faulty memory, should have checked the picture. Thanks Brown Falcon.
  12. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put mine back on as well. In fact, the guy I got the block off kit from strongly suggested that I reinstall it. I never noticed too much blowback in the airbox, but it certainly can't hurt.
  13. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thought I'd share the link...its a Twisted Throttle poll finding out what aftermarket exhausts XRL owners are running, to try and design a better subframe support for our bikes. Here's the poll http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747108

Not sure if its still valid but saw it on TT and thought I'd share :wink:
  14. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Awright hollywood... get the stock down in the pocket of your shoulder:lol3
  15. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was better with my saw than a M16 any day. I got issued the saw the first week I was sent to the fleet. I feel in love rt at that moment. I carried it for 2 1/2 years. I even carried it as a fire team leader and squad leader. My CO knew how good I was with it, he would not let them take it away from me. When I would go on patrol I would carry 1000 round with me and my own spare barrel. People outside of my company thought I was crazy to carry it.
  16. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Actually, based off of my tactical training, that's about right for the M16/AR15 rifle. Kick isn't an issue, and if you put it much further down on your shoulder you won't get a good cheek weld without craning your neck sideways. But you have to find what works for you and then stay consistent.
  17. Schultz!

Schultz! Recovering Lurker

Oddometer:
    After seeing footage of a marine some were in the pacific walking around with air cooled browning .30 machine gun retrofitted (rigged) up with a shoulder strap and cloth around the barrel to keep from burning his hands don't disbelieve you one bit sir:devildog
  18. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Actually, removing the air injection system has no effect on the fuel-air ratio, so it will be the same after as before. The system introduces ambient air post exhaust valve in order to facilitate the combustion of unburnt hydrocarbons in the escaping stream; it does nothing to affect neither the air nor the fuel which enter the engine. The engine will run no better and no worse add a result of removing the system; however, removing the system will result in a weight reduction. :deal
  19. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The only tactical training that I got was in Uncle Sam's green machine. Been a few years, but... FM 3-22.9, four fundamentals, chapter four.
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well Ben had I run into you overseas I would have thought, now that is a guy ready to f@#k some shit up!! The saw is one of my favorite weapons also.