Geospatial/Georeferenced PDFs

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by lucknau, Sep 25, 2013.

1. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Hmmm I wonder, would it be possible to hover over a printed map, and display a zoomed in version on the phone? Or a different layer?
  3. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Right on Lucknau! These all seem to show the Georeferenced data in PDFMAP.

However, the Cle Elum West one seems to go to garbage when imported into PDF MAP, but maybe that's just my phone. Rest of them work great. Can't wait until spring to check some of these places out.
  4. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Scott. I'll try to fix the Cle Elum west map. The one for the east side works though?

Edit: oh, duh. That's the one I sent you the link to test.

:::: (@) :::::
  5. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Yeah, rest of them work great, including Cle Elum East. The west one imports, but it's just VERY pixelated.
  6. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
    Ahh. Yeah, it's a larger file, in terms of pixels. If your PDF maps app isn't set to import hires by default, I'd recommend it. Or just go into the info for that one map and pull in the hires version. It is pretty pixelated, though, even when you import it as a hi-res file. That might help.

I will post an even higher resolution version, that you can try. It'll be clearer, but the file size is massive. It might actually be more pixelated, once the app does its thing...

7. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

I just posted the Huckleberry Flats OHV map to the links on the first post.

Cheers!

8. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:
    Android users will want to download the hi-res version of the Cle Elum West map. For some reason the map size is just great enough that PDF Maps wrecks the resolution during the import. I don't know why, but it doesn't happen on the iPhone. Anyway, the file size is massive, but (I hear) it looks pretty good on the phone.

Thanks, ScottPDX, for helping troubleshoot these. I may owe you a beer or three. :D

9. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    Do these just show you where you are on the trail? Very cool, just wondering if there are any other features.
  10. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

They do. You can also record tracks, set waypoints, and export or import recorded tracks to or from other programs.

11. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Beware the beast in black

Oddometer:
    So I have been playing with this and I am excited to try it out on the trails. If I create a track I want to follow using waypoints will it navigate the route? Does the screen pan around on its own to follow you? Thanks for the help, I am a gps newbie.
  12. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

You can import a path into the map (it likes the KML file format). It doesn't do turn-by-turn style navigation, but it does work like google maps, by putting you on the map as a blue dot. It will pan around, and it will follow you on the map. I usually lock the screen orientation on my phone, because the G force causes the screen to flip all around when cornering.

13. rootsy

rootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting Huckleberry and Shotgun maps! I appreciate your time and effort. Cheers!
  14. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the hard work and sharing this app.

I'm looking for a map of the Gold Creek / Green Mountain area near Bremerton.
  15. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

Sure thing. No prob. :)

I found a good PDF of the area, and will try to post a georeferenced version in the next few days.

16. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do the files you're working with here work in Viewranger also?
  17. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

I haven't use Viewranger but it looks like a tile map program, like Galileo, which pulls from the same databases (openstreetmap, et al). If it can open PDFs, then yes. If it can't, then no.

18. SuperD!

SuperD! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where Portlandia is more than just a TV show.
    I gotta say that using these maps in OHV areas is pretty damn cool & WAY more useful than the GPS...though ScottPDX and I still can't agree on which road goes where. :lol3
  19. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll have to say that's a "YES" then.
    "
    Types of Map

ViewRanger supports two types of map:

• Online maps – such as those from Open Street and Cycle Map. These maps are downloaded automatically as and when they are needed or can be pre-cached. They are cached on the phone, so if you preview them before going out you can use them in an area with no mobile signal.
    • Unlimited maps - highly detailed online topo maps for USA and Canada, that can be easily stored for offline usage on your mobile devices. These maps contain more detail and come with the USA edition but are charged for on other editions.
    • Premium maps – more detailed maps, typically from national mapping agencies such as Ordnance Survey, IGN, or BKG. These maps contain more detail but are charged for. These maps are stored on the phone so can be used when away from the mobile network."
  20. lucknau

lucknau Greenhorn

Oddometer:

Let us know, one way or the other, if you get a chance to try it out.