New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it appears that they're not on sale anymore. I ordered mine the other evening at $44. Now they're at the $85-90 that you mention. I didn't like the cheaper ones, I figured if I'm going to bother to get and mount guards i may as well get the ones that'll protect me against trees etc...
  2. vguy

vguy Rockhopper

Oddometer:
  3. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    The cheaper one don't have the swivel/adjustable mount,plus they don't have the plastic guards I don't think.I have the cheaper ones ( bought on sale for $19.99 ) on my wifes GS500 and you need to do some fabing to make them work with front disc brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    hey look what I found half way down on page 2. :lol3

I am still seriously considering this bike, may go to Abernathy's in Union City next weekend and trade if the Nomad hasn't sold by then.

I would like to have a red one with dct. I think I would turn to the aftermarket for luggage and a w/s. I already have a Givi trunk. Just add some v35 panniers, matte black preferred. Cee Bailey's for a w/s. I will want to change the exhaust, too.
  5. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know a guy who has been trying to buy a DCT version for 4 months from the local dealer here in Boise. He's standing there with the money in hand. They keep telling him it has shipped, he goes out there, no bike. I wanted to buy one this week. They told me they had two in stock. I go out there and they have one non-DCT NC700X and one of those cruiser style ones. The dealer doesn't even know the difference between these bikes. Does anyone on here know of any DCTs at a dealer they like in WA, OR, UT, or NV? I've given up on the local dealer.
  6. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's strange, but some say that the dealers can't get rid of them and others say that buyers can't find one. I ordered my '13 DCT back in Feb, it arrived in early May. My dealer got two at the time, my DCT and a standard, and said he didn't know if he'd get others.
  7. Jaynen

Jaynen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dealer here in Escondido had a DCT and a non DCT sitting there side by side
  8. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know 4 months ago, a local dealer around the Indianapolis area, had a DCT and a manual; tried like the dickens to get me to buy the DCT (passed on both-not ready to trade yet) and allowed me to ride it around the store (inside the store :-)). Matter of fact, as of 2 weeks ago, still had both.
  9. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    My dealer, Niehaus Cycles in Litchfield, IL has both new and pre owned NC700X's in stock, including DCT.

www.niehauscycle.com
  10. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    FDR in Paducah Ky has one.
  11. Meter Man

Meter Man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may be selling my 1200GS and want a NC700X. I am bummed that you cannot get normal shift with ABS. I won't buy another new motorcycle without ABS.

Anybody know if next year will offer this option?
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is perplexing that Honda bundles ABS and DCT in the states, but I think they're feeling like they need to spread the gospel about DCT as they're the only mfg out there with it right now - if they can get it catch on, they're the only game in town.

I doubt they'll debundle anytime soon, but anything is possible. A lot of folks are just planning on getting the 500x instead - $2K cheaper, ABS only, and about the same power, albeit a lot less torque.

- Mark
  13. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Like the ABS, you probably wouldn't ever want to buy a bike without DCT
    after the NC. Just get it.
  14. paprides

paprides New at being the old guy. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    Yep. Agreed. Yet as the recipient of an "unbundled," ABS NC in Canada it provides a glimmer of hope that they'll offer their entire spectrum of models on a world wide basis. (yea, yea, yea. Like Europe gets models we don't):lol3
  15. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    I had the opportunity to take a DCT model for a test ride a couple of days ago.

DCT is absolutely BRILLIANT!

I tried it in D mode, didn't much care for that. So I put it in S mode and that was mucho better. I also tried manual shifting. You barely feel this thing shift gears. You never miss a shift. You never bump helmets with your passenger. No clutch lever to have to hold at lights. DCT is the future.
  16. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    As the owner of a DCT with about 4k miles I couldn't be happier. As far as D mode goes, if you ride it hard the computer will learn your habits and shift accordingly.
  17. rowdymoose

rowdymoose Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer:
    You guys are doing a great job of convincing me to take my '12 base model in to trade for a '12 DCT or a shiny new '13 DCT (with the faster red paint)!
  18. bryantjt

bryantjt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably already been covered but here's a non-owner's view (me):

I rode my 2006 V-Strom 650 to work yesterday and not long after getting home, my girlfriend's father stopped in with his brand new 700 DCT. I took it for a 5 mile ride solo, and again with my girlfriend to get a comparison between it and the Wee.

As a solo bike, in D mode, it was incredibly smooth, quiet, and nice smooth air hitting my helmet. You can hear the gear changes but not feel them. Switching to S mode or using the paddles it definitely gets up to speed quicker and "feels" more like a conventional bike.

For me (us), it was outstanding as a 2-up machine. The smooth ride and smooth, almost electric, power delivery far surpassed the Wee even on a good day (passenger occasionally comments on a less than smooth shift, especially if accelerating briskly) and the suspension handled our rough road better. To be fair, I have 22,000 miles on the Wee and the NC only has 160 but it felt like it had much better damping. She also said that the air flow was much smoother for her on the back as well and it was less noticeable in our Scala rider intercom system.

That being said, I did find it to be a little slower than the Wee both solo and 2-up but all in all its an outstanding ride. :clap On the flip side though, it is deceptively quick being so smooth and not having to work the gearbox you get up to speed sooner than you think and the exhaust and motor are quiet enough that 70+ can sneak up on you if you get on it hard from a stop.

The only thing I didn't care too much for was very slow speed handling, parking lot type maneuvers. I had a difficult time being comfortable without being able to slip the clutch to regulate my speed in the under 10 mph range. It seemed to work well if I throttled up with the rear brake on and then continued to slightly drag the brake. It sounded as though it was slipping the clutch a bit since the revs were up and it was smooth. If I didn't work against the brake it was a lumpy ride from the power pulses, as if the clutch were fully engaged, similar to letting the Wee idle along in first gear.
  19. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Interesting. After I rode the DCT, I rode a 2012 DL650. I bought the Suzuki. :lol3

I thought the suspension was much better than the Honda's, and I didn't like the seat or foot peg location on the Honda. The V-Strom was just more comfortable for me. I sure wish it had DCT though. I owned a DL1000 for a while. I have to say so far I think the DL-650 with the "adventure" screen does a much better job of handling airflow than the old style. I wouldn't say the airflow is smoother than the Honda, but it blocks a lot more of it.
  20. vguy

vguy Rockhopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm still looking for a new light-to-medium off-road twin. Looks like I should wait for the 2014 offerings. Meanwhile an older DR650 will work.