2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
  2. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    3 flags, a bit of a let down.
    That is still new territory exciting regardless.
  3. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    2013 Dakar Rally stuff

Of course Jenny has said that she's in the process of getting things ready for her next attempt.
    [​IMG]

From MotorcycleUsa.com

Justin Maley & team from Daytona, Florida:

Part 1
    [​IMG]

Part 2

[​IMG]
  4. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Let's hope a little more varied terrain for 2013 too.
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    More pavement ?

:rofl
  6. doyle

Oddometer:
    No, but something other than the rocky track that seemed to be the same from stage 2 until Peru. I say seemed because from a spectators position, this is what it seemed like to me. Perhaps it's difficult in the relatively populated countries, but I would rather see things trend back to longer, less technical, more varied terrain with an emphasis on navigation rather than what seemed like shorter, more technical, enduro-ish stages of 2012. But this is juts my far away view.

Then again, I always liked the Saharan expanse way more than the early Moroccan stages.
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

I hear ya :thumb

I think they do the best they can given the terrain, that being said it would seem they could have made the days longer for the riders. Freaking Ned kept showing up early and interrupting cocktail hour :rofl

I was hoping to see the bikes navigating by cap across the salt flats in Bolivia next year. Oh well, suppose Peru has a bunch more to offer than what was utilized this year.

How many weeks left until Dakar season ? :1drink
  8. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    Ah SafariBerg you know you just made Bluebull's head explode.
    I bet he is crunching Google Earth data right now laying out the stages...

:rofl
  10. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    No need, I already got the whole thing mapped, made pirate roadbooks, and have prerun it twice! :evil
  11. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note the date change

[​IMG]
  12. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:

no DAKAR "new years" celebrations...

Etiennes wife must have chipped him about not being home for the last half dozen years or so... :rofl
  13. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ArthDuro & Hogwild :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

Seriously, I'm gutted there is no Bolivia and pissed that it starts late. Don't they know that some of us are supposed to be working? What was Ettienne thinking? :huh Truth be told the Salar De Uyuni in Bolivia is full of water this time of year and the altitude is high enough for us to have a episode of Survivor with the helicopter pilots to see who will make it.

The good news is that I am entering this year. I'm going to need some financial help to get there though...:deal More on this soon.
  14. doyle

Oddometer:
    :clap
  15. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    Can we assume you are running the same WR450 you ran in Dos Sertos? The Springbok returns! Or was that the Boki or something or rather? Your thread on the DS was most excellent. Now you have a set a high bar for a similar Dakar thread...:clap

If you're still running the WR, I know of a couple of well used bikes here in KSA that may be coming available this summer. Not mine though.

- Ken
  16. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Springbok will return. :evil

Thanks for that info, it could prove to be very useful. :thumb

I would love to do a blow-by-blow RR of the Dakar, I just hope my memory will serve me well again like it did on the Dos Sertões, and that there are better photograph's than we saw this year. :bluduh
  17. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    :clap we'll be rooting for ya Neil :D
    (adds a whole new dimension to saving broadcasts of the race next year)
  18. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Typical - there is a 2013 thread already started!

Just in (or out):

Press Release – Dakar 2013
    The 35th edition of the Dakar will also be the 5th to take place on the South American continent, which has hosted the event since 2009. From 5th to 20th January 2013, the competitors will follow the route between Lima in Peru and Santiago in Chile, with a rest day planned at San Miguel de Tucuman in Argentina. The desert will be on the programme from the first days of the rally, for the first time in its history.

Several weeks ago, the riders and drivers on the Dakar discovered the Peruvian version of the desert. Struck by its splendour but also its technical demands, in this setting of sea and sand, they experienced a highly intense sequence before the finish in Lima. For the next edition, the Peruvian capital will play host to the start of the rally, with the promise of holding an exceptional challenge in store for those who take part; one that is simply equal to the test they have to face each year.

At the end of the journey, the rally will finish for the first time in Santiago. Chile, which, in the Atacama, has been the theatre to most of the unpredictable developments during the last four editions, will have the opportunity to celebrate the heroes of the Dakar in its capital city.

Over the thousands of kilometres that they will have to tackle, the competitors will distance themselves from the Pacific Ocean as the event is spiced up by a detour via Argentina. On the other side of the Andes Mountains, the variety of terrains will put all the competitors' capacities to adapt to the test.

With a reworked spread of difficulties and a new perspective on the discovery of the continent's geography, the Dakar 2013 is emerging as the event for which both the elite and amateurs of the rally raid discipline prepare all year long. Registration will open for all the categories (bikes, quads, cars and trucks) on 15th May.

It would be rude not to eh?

Neil - have you sorted your assistance yet? - give me a shout...

Jenny xx
  19. chavo_dakar_bolivia

chavo_dakar_bolivia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I¨m pretty bummed out that Dakar 2013 won´t make it through Bolivia....I was really hoping for that. We have some beautiful, unriden and wild terrains down here.....
    Hopefully in 2014!
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Chavo, Neil and Jenny racing in 2013 :pynd

Where do we buy the shirts and swag from :freaky
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.