KTM Talk

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ThorRex, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ThorRex

ThorRex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I the only one that thinks KTMTalk website is a big waste of time? There are so many restrictions over there I gave up...I had a few things to get rid of and saw postings from members looking for what I had on "WTB..." in their classifieds section..I could'nt reply to them because I'm a "new member"...so if I reply a few times to establish myself to lose my new member status then I can post....I've got better things to do with my time than create 5 phony posts to be able to reply to someone's ad, then I see if I do 5 or so fake posts they'll block me out forever...so long KTMTalk..too bad...
  2. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    I gave up on it years ago . total waste and more stuckup shitheads than here . SEYA
    NJ-Bill likes this.
  3. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Like anything else in life you get back what YOU put into it. A website flourishes by people participating and helping each other. If you don't want to participate then don't. There are plenty that do participate on KTM talk and get plenty out of the experience. Bashing another website. A highly respected one at that, will serve no purpose except to make you look small.

As far as no noob posting in the classified section. Each website takes different measures to protect the members from unscrupulous activities from outside. I've seen plenty of threads on the interweb concerning members that were scammed from a 1 post member that got in an took advantage of them. The staff is unable to watch every single thread to twart those activities. Automatic setting have to be implemented.
    Dirtbauer likes this.
  4. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I was looking for a 525 I jumped through all the hoops to become a member. Found the bke I wanted but couldn't respond. So I used a friends log in to contact and make the sale. The guy I bought the bike from had been a member for a long time. I bought the bike and discovered a few "I didn't realise that was f'd up" things with the bike.

No matter how many failsafes are in place, this crap happens. I rarely go on there any more because I find it just as cagiva and Thor described.
  5. Sapling

Sapling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said....

If Im not mistaken the Flea market doesn't show up on this site until you have a few posts as well....
  6. BillyD

BillyD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I go to KTMTalk regarding dirt bikes and ADVrider for adventure bikes.

Love them both for these two different reasons.

I find little if any difference in the tenor and tone of posters on either site.

As someone else commented, you get out what you put in.
    Dirtbauer likes this.
  7. mamacone

mamacone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guys in the 2 stroke forum are very knowledgeable and quick to reply. A good resource.
    Dirtbauer likes this.
  8. Central Cali Rider

Central Cali Rider Love the journey and destination...

Oddometer:

+1 when my son was racing his KTM 50 that site was the bomb for information. Not so much with my 950Adv. Most of the Adventure posts are look over at advrider in the OC...
  9. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

+1

I haven't been in awhile. However, I seem to remember that their big twins section wasn't very much help...as CCR posted.

It wasn't even close to the OC. ADVRider is still the shizzel...

10. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
    When thinking of KTM TALK the words "ZIG HILE!" come to mind. Besides that, I always thought Patrick was a big freeking star-fish on sponge Bob.......and now I hear he is a site mod.....lol.......
  11. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    Moderation is not really your strong side, is it? are they sending people to the gas chambers from KTM TALK ?
    It is just a web site no one is forcing anyone to go there. If you dont like it stay out of it.
  12. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been a big help to me, and I appreciate the folks over there that have helped. I'm a lifetime member, and it's a bargain.
  13. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM Talk is great for the little bikes, some very knowledgeable people over there.
    Not so useful for the big bikes, thats where ADV is mucho better.

I've posted a few big bike trip reports over there. Always a positive response, but little feedback.

I didn't care for their classified section even before it was reorganized several months back. Now even worse.

-M
  14. walstibsf

walstibsf Thar R fair WX riders and there are MOTORCYCLISTS

Oddometer:
    quote: posted by NOMAD GUY Moderation is not really your strong side, is it? are they sending people to the gas chambers from KTM TALK ?
    It is just a web site no one is forcing anyone to go there. If you dont like it stay out of it.

Well, Nomad, 'ol bud, apparently, taking a joke is not your forte', either. It was just a joke....OK? What say I buy you a beer, we call it even? OH, and by the way, they did send me to the chamber, but my sentence was commuted to life. IN THE ORANGE CELL BLOCK. That's how I became an inmate......but that's another story.......

Take it light, Bro, and laters.....
  15. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    The lunatics/nutjobs here on ADV Rider are of MUCH higher quality.
  16. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    hey.....back up the stereo type wagon there.....we might all be nutters but at least we're crazy :happay
  17. tonykof

tonykof Dinosaur Tamer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the ktmtalk = dirtbikes advrider = adventure bikes..

ktmtalk is a bit on the restrictive side...but I've still managed to make some great friends & gather some valuable info..
    BAZZER450 likes this.
  18. sven520

sven520 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have gained a lot of knowledge from KTMTALK a good resource IMHO
  19. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Agreed.

There is probably more here for the LC8 than there, but waaaaay more there for single cylinder KTMs than probably anywhere.

Knowing how to google search it brings up a huge wealth of knowledge.

I had a 98 250exc and the kickstart lever quit engaging during a ride. A search brought up the fix and part numbers.

It used to be the forum that I spent the most time at, but things changed. For me, the thing that turned me off the most was when Ned and company went to Baja on the 950. Instead of posts of support, they were dismissed.

I don't mind the changes made to the Flea Market over there. The owner (Pat) is trying to cover his costs and possibly even make a little money there. I don't have a problem with that.
  20. jmbueller

jmbueller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a new 350 EXC-F recently. I've found KTM talk to be very useful. There's a great write-up over there on setting this bike up.