Airhead Brake Light wire, which one?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Rapid Dog, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I installed a Kisan signal minder. Plug it in where your turnsignal relay goes.
    Now you have running lights, self canceling signals, and 4 way flashers.
    Pretty cool!

It has a 3 wire plug with one each wire going to your left and one to your right turn signal wire/
    A third wire goes to your 'brake light on' wire.
    I'm a colorblind old fool when it comes to reading the Clymer wiring diagrams.

Anyone know the color of this 'brake light on wire' in the headlight shell?:ear
  2. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    If it's anything like the g/s it's not in the shell. On it, it's a green and red wire.

On your diagram find the brake light switches, and the rear tail light. The common color wire is the "brake light" wire.

edit...it is green and red:

[​IMG]
  3. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    The color-coding is standard European, so the color codes should be the same regardless of the model (that is, IF that function is on the bike!) ... eg. brown is ground (earth), grn/black is switched power, red is always-on power, etc etc... you see it in Mercedes, Volkswagon etc wiring diagrams....
    :D
  4. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    R100/R100S/R100RT/R100RS all have there electrical junk in the headlight shell along with plug-in boards that are clearly marked.
    The GS is different.
    I just need to know which is the brake light wire in there.

Here's the PDF instructions, it's model SM-1...

https://www.kisantech.com/brochures/SM-inst-manual.pdf
  5. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    No it's not all in the headlight. If you look at the bottom of the posted diagram of the r100S wiring...it's there. There is no reason for the wire that is going from your hand, and your foot, to go all the way forward then all the way back.

I may be wrong about wire location, I DARE YOU TO FIND A GREEN/RED WIRE IN YOUR HEADLIGHT SHELL
  6. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...that's odd if true, cuz the kit comes with a foot long wire and mail connector and a crimp-on plug-in connector to tap into the 'brake light on' wire. :huh
  7. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    It's impossible for a company to know every configuration on bikes. You may need to just run an extension, OR tap into your hand brake wire as it'll be the closest.

NOW; if it's the dimmer running light and not the brighter stop light you are after..then you will find the green/BLACK wire in the headlight housing :deal
  8. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Oddly enough I plugged directly into the board for the left and right turn signals. I now have running lights and self-cancelling signals.

I don't know what the third wire is for, I think for flashing brakelight. Seems to me the front brake wire of which you speak should do the do.

so is that this wire of which you speak?

looks like green/ yellow sorta to me...

Attached Files:

9. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    Looks green/red to me: that is the power to the brake light. Those switches at the top of the diagram are for the front and rear brakes, and when they close they send +12vdc to the bulb....

The grey/black is the power to the tail light (it is turned "on" with either ignition, or light switch, and the brown is the ground (-).

:D
  10. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...O.K. guys, lemme be clear, I am RED/GREEN color deficient, had to tell those colors apart or variances of either. So when I look into a Clymer manual with it's shitty printing I can't see the contrast.
    That's why I'm askin'...and I was hoping there was a place on the board or a wire to tap into.
    gt it?
  11. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    Ouch...Then it's going to be tough without another set of eyes. Having color issues both brake light wires will look the same. You NEED to know which one os one will be live all the time and the other only when the switch is actuated.

If you look on the diagram on the left where it says "connector block" that is I believe the board you keep referring to. If you are looking for a spot on that board to find a live brake wire you will be looking for quite some time as it's not there...only the running light wire that comes on when you turn the key. It would be one of the fused connections.
  12. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ...I see...said the blind man...

Got an answer from Kisan, they've been doin' BMW stuff for a long time..

...mmm...I'll ask my wife out to the garage...:evil
  13. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Brake light wire is green with red and sometimes the brake light switch wire is brown with yellow.
  14. bmwrench

bmwrench Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's Grey/Yellow only on very late model bikes. It'll be Green/Red on an R100.