Alpinestars Scout boot review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Trail Boss, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    My current set of boots are worn out, so I purchased a set of the Scout boots, sight unseen, and knowing very little about them. There aren't many reviews of them on the net, but I've had good experience with Alpinestars boots in the past so I thought I would give them a try.

I'll start by posting my initial impressions of this boot and how it compares to other mc boots I own. I'll update this post after I've fully tested the boots out in the field.

The features of this boot include:
    * Made with PU coated leather for durability and abrasion resistance
    * 100% Waterproof performance membrane construction
    * Outer and inner ankle protection is given by innovative, double injected, TPU section with different Durometer (hardness) values and thicknesses to allow protection and flexibility all in one section
    * Internal shin reinforcement layered under the leather
    * Mesh liner for comfort and breathability
    * Removable PE padded foot bed provides shock absorption and impact protection
    * Stitched sole is of a unique rubber compound for exceptional grip and durability
    * Three-buckles closure with micro-adjustable memory system
    * Velcro® pull flap for adjustable closure
    * Scout WP boot is CE certified

I shot some pics of the Scout boot next to my old pair of Joe Rocket boots and a pair of Alpinestars Tech 6 motorcross boots. The Joe Rocket boot is what I've been wearing for several years. I don't know what model it is. It has a shin protection and is (was) waterproof. Other than that I don't think it has any additional protection for dual sport riding versus a street boot.

In all these pictures, the Joe Rocket boots are on the left, the Scout boot is in the center, and the Tech 6 motocross boot is on the right.

The Scout is taller than my old dual sport boots, but not as tall as the mx boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The scout boot has a lug sole. Very important, IMO, for traction off the bike. Smooth sole boots provide little traction when walking on wet dirt, inclines, etc. Also, note the difference in sole length. All three boots are size 11 and they all seem to fit my foot okay, so I speculate that the differences in sole length is due to differences in thickness of the leather in the foot area.
    [​IMG]

The Scout boot is somewhat thicker and heavier than the Joe Rocket boot, but not near as thick or heavy as the Tech 6. The Scout is much stiffer than the Joe Rocket boot. The Joe Rocket boot was never very stiff, even new. The Scout boot feels much more like a mx boot - not flexible in the ankle, making walking difficulty, but providing protection against excessive ankle rotation in the event of a crash. It will be interesting to find out if they become easier to walk in after they break in.
    [​IMG]

The Scout boot has 3 buckles, like a mx boot, and a velcro section at the very top of the boot. The buckles don't appear to be as stout as those on the mx boot, but they don't appear to be fragile either.
    [​IMG]

Extra leather appears to have been sewn on the top of the boot.
    [​IMG]

I was just barely able to get my jeans over the boots. I'm wearing Levi 505s, which I think are relaxed fit jeans. I suspect the legs of these jeans are a bit wider than boot cut jeans, but don't know that for a fact. It took about several minutes of effort to get the bottom of the pants leg over the top of the boot. The tightest fit is the bottom of the pant vs the top of the boot. The rest of the pant leg fits okay over the boot. Pants with smaller diameter leg bottoms would not have fit over the boots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. mgdavis

mgdavis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear
  3. jtbraun

jtbraun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding Scout boots for about six months or so now. They've been through the BMW Performce School off-road riding course (in the rain), RawHyde Adventures school and several off-road day trips (one or two of which were very knarly). I have nothing but praise for the boots. They have good support, but are flexible enough to walk around in. As you can see in the poster's pics, you can wear them under jeans without looking weird. Generally, a really nice boot all the way around.
  4. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    jt,

Thanks for adding that information. I'm looking forward to fully testing these boots and appreciate you sharing your experience with them.
  5. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Im currently running my Garne trials boots for adv riding, which is great except that the soles are very soft leading to considerable foot pain at the end of the day. What is the foot bed like on these boots. You said the ankle is stiff (good). How is the sole? Does your arch hurt after extended standing?

6. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Really appreciating how you took the time to take pics of all the different angles on these boots.

I, too, am thinking about a new pair of boots for the CDT, and these look interesting.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  7. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    I picked up my boots tonight and I have to say so far I am impressed. They were much more comfortable right out of the box than I had been expecting. Ankle support area is just about what I was looking for...a little stiff to walk in but nothing like an MX boot. I've had them on for almost 2 hours now around the house and they are already starting to break in a bit. No strange rubbing issues and the build quality seems top-notch...no loose stitching or things that don't line up.

Speaking from a woman's point of view these are definitely function over form, so ladies if you are looking for a pretty boot that might go well with your outfit move on. I don't consider them downright ugly, but there are some better looking boots on the market for folks concerned with that. Also I'm a pretty tall gal (5'11") with rather large feet (these are size 11) and any black boot of this nature makes me look like Olive Oil. :huh I knew that going in though and frankly I wanted the best protection I could get in a boot that I could use for dual sporting that wasn't going to break the bank. So far I think these are fitting the bill.

I'm hoping to get my first ride in with them tomorrow so I'll report back then.
  8. klarue

klarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    I love this site. :clap

So much good information.....now we need a review of the Levis 505's as well.:rofl

Seriously though Trail Boss, how does the sizing compare with real shoes? What is your size (in Euro sizing) in a sneaker and is it the same as the Scout?? If I was to get a pair I'd probably get them from the US as we get seriously :viking on prices over here.
  10. steveberde

steveberde oldertrble

Oddometer:
    Mine arrived earlier this week and thankfully they fit perfectly with a few minor adjusting of the straps

Wore them today for a 150 mile mostly off road excursion riding a variety of gravel, mud, snow, ruts, water crossings, SNOW and ICE and they performed superbly-

They are very comfortable, the fit is great and required little break in - they took a bit of adjusment for me to get the bike shifting and braking smoothly on my 690 KTM Enduro as they are a sizeable boot - but after an hour or so it all fell into place -

My feet were toasty warm and it was only a high of about 45 today and we rode in temps ranging from 35 - 45 for most of the day as we were in the mountains for part of the time - the waterproofing does work - bone dry after putting my foot down in water and mud several times today - along with snow and melted ice -

Overall a great boot - highly recommend it - the sizing is really Euro - I wear a 9 1/2 in US sizing and while these are only available in sizes 9 and 10 I chose the 9 and it turns out it's fine as the size is really euro size 43 which is closer to a 9 1/2 - perfect for me - I would not recommend oversizing these but that's just my experience -

Great boot at a fair price - I purchased mine from motorcycle superstore and their service was superb - shipped same day and arrived in 2 days and no shipping charges -

Steve
  11. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great info and pics. Much appreciated!
  12. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    It's a good question that I can't answer. I've never worn the Combat Touring lite boots. Sorry.
  13. Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    I wear a size 11 shoe (US size, not sure of Euro size) in a running shoe. I got the Alpinestars in size 11 too. They fit slightly larger than my running shoes - a little longer and wider than my running shoes.
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the review! I've been looking at these to mostly replace my Tech6's for DS rides and longer rides in general, these look to be the ticket. Just ordered a pair from revzilla.
  15. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Heidi,

How did your ride go? Specifically how is the flexibility in the Ankle? I am also interested in ankle protection but still need to be able to maneuver the shifter.

I'm a tall chick with a size 10.5 foot too. I all ready have a pair of Alpine star tech 3's but I seriously can not shift in them on my BMW because thy are so stiff...no problems on my little Yamaha dirt bike though...but can't get the ankle angle I need to safely ride the F800...so I need to buy a second pair.

Also what size in mens worked for you...My tech 3's are a mens' 8 but they are a little wide.
  16. MonsterJ

MonsterJ Motonerd

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a pair of scouts a few hours ago. I went into the dealer with the intent of buying a pair of the Sidi Rains and came out with Scouts instead. It's nice having a dealer that stocks them both. Both have good ankle protection (more on this in a sec)... something between my Crossfires/Tech 8s and some older Sidi sport touring boots I have. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised on how much ankle protection the Astars had. The two things that sold me on the Scouts over Sidi was fit and the design of the top of the boot. I don't have wide feet.... but Sidis tend to favor people with pretty narrow feet. The Scouts provided a lil more room and were much more comfortable, IMO. The second thing was design of the top of the boot and how it closes. The Sidis close with one buckle across the top of the foot, one just above the ankle, and a 4-ish inch velcro closure at the top of the boot. I felt that my leg had a little too much movement at the top of the boot which I though took away from the ankle protection. They were built well enough to take a pretty good impact but I think because of the extra movement of the top of my leg they wouldn't protect against twists and lateral hyper extensions of the ankle as well as the Scouts. The Scouts have 3 buckles and a velcro closure and having that 3rd buckle seems to help imobilze the ankle a little more than the Sidis. The Scouts do have enough movement that manipulating the shifter and brake lever is relatively easy. I've always beens a big fan of Sidis but this time Astars was the winner... and they're cheaper, too. I got the Scouts for $300 OTD.

Disclaimer: And as always, this is just some guy's opinion on the interweb and YMMV. :wink:
  17. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    Hi Jessy,

The riding is going well. The boots are breaking in more every day. I've had to adjust the shifter twice to get it dialed in just right and now that I have its no problem. They are still a bit stiff, but not as much as an MX boot and flexible enough that the shifting shouldn't be a problem. My other half ordered a pair for himself as well and he rides a F650GS and totally loves them. No problems on the BMW for him.

As for sizing, it seems I wear a different size in every shoe. After much contemplation I ordered size 11....yes 11. There are no half sizes unfortunately, and my toes just felt a bit too cramped in a 10. Speaking now I'm glad I went with the 11. They don't feel too big at all even with thinner socks on...I have a long narrow foot if that helps. The only area they might be a bit oversized is around my leg, but I have skinny legs as well. However I've found that with the 3 straps and the velcro at the top I can wrap it around tight enough to not notice.

Good luck, I hope this helps. If you can, order from a Cycle Gear shop, at least then you won't have to worry about returning them if they don't work for you!
  18. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    Mine came today, I normally wear a size 11 and my other boots are all 11's, so I ordered these in 11's too. They fit absolutely perfect! Very very comfortable right out of the box, haven't gotten a chance to ride in them yet but I have walked in them. They are somewhere between my Tourmaster Solution's and my Tech 6's in terms of stiffness. My first impression says if someone is looking for one boot and one boot only for an ADV bike, these are it assuming the waterproof membrane works as advertised.
  19. Catskill

Catskill tree hugger

Oddometer:
    Thanks Heidi! I like Cycle Gear too.
  20. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    So I found that these are stand-in-creek waterproof as I, um, stood in a creek in them this afternoon. The water level was over my ankles but my feet stayed dry.