dual sport comparison

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rmcelroy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I am looking for a bike that I can take almost anywhere (let's say 65% street, 20% track, 15%dirt). I would primarily just be doing weekend twisty riding/exploring. So I figured I would check out some dual sports. A couple bikes have really caught my eye so far, specifically, the KTM 690 Enduro R and the Husqvarna TE650 Terra.

I just have a couple of questions that maybe you guys could help me answer:

First off, do you think I am going in the right direction with looking at those two bikes, based on what I said I wanted?
    I have not seen too much info on taking those bikes onto race tracks... I dont know if anyone here has done any track riding with dual sports... so maybe someone could tell me if I am out of bounds.

Secondly, would you say those bikes are comparable? Are there better options I should be exploring? (either from those manufacturers or from others) I would appreciate just some general feedback about either one of those bikes (it would be awesome if there could be some comparison made between them)

I only know what I have seen on paper, which is basically that the KTM cost about 3 grand more, but you are going to get what you pay for. It is lighter, has more HP, more suspension travel, higher seat height/ground clearance... I would like to hear from some owners to see what their opinions are though.

thanks guys!
  2. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    For what you're looking for, I'd go with something like the KTM 500 EXC or Husky TE 511.
  3. Cobain

Cobain night owl

Oddometer:
    Your going to ride a dual-sport on the track?
  4. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:

yea, the TE511 also popped up on my radar...

one thing I didnt understand about that bike vs the 650 Terra is the price. It seems that in just about every aspect you would get more bike with the Terra, however the TE511 costs about 2 grand more. I know there must be some reasoning behind it... can you explain?

the ktm 500 exc appears to be about a grand cheaper than the 690 enduro r. that makes perfect sense to be... less bike, less money. :D
  5. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that was the plan. (road tracks) change out the tires of course... and keep it on fairly small tracks. there is a small 1.4 mi track fairly close by that I think it would be great on.
  6. StolenFant

StolenFant Life is good on this side of the grass Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Husky TE's have had the SM (Supermotard) sister bikes for many years. The SM's are insane quick on tracks. Not much difference nineteen the SM and TE except suspension length, and then still not much. I've got a TE 610
    Rode an SM. Husky would be my choice. The newer Husky is MUCH heavier.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.
  8. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on if you live in a dryer or wetter region, a supermoto would fit your riding needs and terrain breakdown perfectly.
  9. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take the 690 and get a set of supermoto wheels for the track use. Not ideal for the track but better than the Husky anyway...
    The KTM is better off roads as well but this seems not to be your main target...

Maybe a 990 SuperMoto would be best choice as you wont do a lot of off road riding....:1drink
  10. Cobain

Cobain night owl

Oddometer:
    haha oh shit i thought you meant dirt bike track my bad.:rofl
  11. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 Guest

Yep, 690 would be my choice.
  12. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    For that street/track bias I'd look at the 650 Strada as well.
  14. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yea, I was looking into used KTMs, but they are super rare/hard to find around here. (mid alabama). and most of the ones i have found that are close to what I am wanting are damn near the same price as new ones... so I might as well just go new!

my local KTM dealer also sells husabergs. I havent done much research on them though. I did check out their site briefly. whilt it looks they have really nice bikes, the main problem i saw was that they dont appear to be street legal.
  15. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    is that the primary difference in price? a much lower quality engine would be a big deal... i have read on other sites that some people were having issues with the bikes just randomly stalling/back firing.

the more i look into the terra, the more i am wanting to shy away from it. and when i start looking at the TE (which retails for 9000) against the 690 (which retails for 10k) well, i think i would rather have the ktm.
  16. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 690 is surprisingly quick on track, got an 09' ER converted to SMC (wheels/forks/shock/brakes) and are among the fastest in fast group on track days. Used to have a Superduke and had similar lap times though slightly more careful with SD. Have the EVO2 installed and larger rear sprocket. Did try with ER forks/shock/brakes and was OK but bit too soft and could use more brakes (even though it was very cold and raining). Probably less of an issue for road as not pushing that hard there.

Also had the 690 to the Alps (Austria/Switzeland/Italy) this summer and wouldn't want to be on any other bike down there. Motorways is not what it likes best though.

Now, my 690 started life as an ER an with me as novice on loose surface. Then I tried buddies 450EXC and 1 week later I had a 530EXC. It's just way easier and more fun to ride. That said, I've seen more skilled guys than me ride 690 much better than I do with my 530, in the right hands it's an incredible tool also off road.

Quite a few guys over here have converted their 530 to track tool and they are surprisingly quick. I'm faster on the straights but they're not that slow. Some of them have 570 kit though and got around 70hp!

If it was me, I would take the 690 if mainly tarmac/track. Better and less maintanance. If it was 65% dirt, I'd have the 530...but again a skilled dirt rider would be ok with 690. Also for very tight tracks, like a gocart track, the 530 would be better.

If I was to have only 1 bike for the rest of my life, it had to be a 690 enduro.
  18. SportsGuy

SportsGuy icanhazdirt?

Oddometer:
    I'm going with the KTM 690 Enduro R.

1 - I have one and have a clue as to what they are capable of
    2 - simply higher spec gear with the KTM, so you have more adjustability in the suspension, for example - you can pay now for this or pay later when you upgrade the Terra's suspension, in which case your total outlay of cash will start creeping towards 690 R territory...
  19. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cut&Paste from another forum:

"As you might have noticed, the 690 has impressed me a lot. I've claimed it's the only bike out there that can do EVERYTHING and not only doing it but doing it well. This is, though assuming you have both enduro and SMC wheels, forks, shock and brakes.

Well, to take what it's not great at first:
    Autobahn - 120kph is OK for a while (so OK in Norway and US then) but take the smaller roads instead
    Hard core cross and enduro - It's just too tall and heavy (though much lighter than a XT660 or GS800, only 20kg more than my EXC). COULD be ridden in tough terrain by someone more skilled by me though.

What it's good at:
    Supermoto - Not as good as the 450SMR I had, 30kg heavier, but still good fun and capable.
    Gravel roads - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter for aggresive riding
    Trails - 530EXC is better since smaller and lighter

What it's great at:
    Gravel touring/dual sport - 530EXC just isn't a touring bike, it's a competition bike requiring frequent service...and terrible for those tarmac transport stages. 690 actually works good on tarmac even with enduro tyres/wheels and more fun (lighter) than XT660/GS800 on gravel
    Tarmac touring - assuming twisty roads...but that's a given for me. That's why I ride! I have no problems keeping up with my sportsbike buddies even on wide, open roads as long as a bit curvy. The more narrow/twisty the better it works and if really tight, the sportsbikes just couldn't keep up. Not very often I felt I lacked power really (do have evo2 kit, dyno job and low gearing though)
    Race Track - I would probably be a second faster on my superdukeR...but more fun with 690. And cheaper if crash, normally just hose off dirt.

For me, bikes are all about FUN, and that's really what the 690 is all about too 8)"

Touring:
    [​IMG]

Road/Trackday:
    [​IMG]

SUMO/road racing:
    [​IMG]

Gravel/Dual sport/Light Enduro:
    [​IMG]

Winter :D :
    [​IMG]
  20. rmcelroy

rmcelroy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks pingvin!

a lot of that is the sort of info I have been trying to gauge. yea, it seems the more I research, the more I am becoming hooked on the 690 ER. I will probably wait until the 2013 comes out in the spring before I get one though. Luckily I live close to a dealer that has a 2012 and they offer test rides. So I should be able to get a good feel for what I am getting into and be 100% sure that is what I want.

now, does anyone know what differences the 2013 has vs the 2012. I know they are going to be very similar bikes, and that not much was done to the frame/engine/body. But it would still be nice to know what small differences were made. I believe one difference I saw was that the 2013 has a tach on the gauge cluster, whereas the 2012 does not. Anyone got any more?