Guy Rides Right Into Car... "It's the car's fault!"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by daveinva, Jul 17, 2013.

1. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    No turn signal? OK sure - not only is it the right thing to do, it's the law. But, a ladder/couch/rock or other obstacles in the road aren't going to signal either, and it's on me to avoid hitting them. Seeing what the rider did/didn't do, I really doubt a turn signal would have made any difference.
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, that guy should not be riding a bike or driving a car or riding a bicycle or using a chain saw or ...
    I have a neighbor like that, he is on a first name basis with the ER people.
  3. dwestly

dwestly Refuses to Grow Up! Supporter

Oddometer:
    More proof that zombies exist...now they're riding, too.
  4. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure the Camaro wasn't signaling...

What's the turn signal lense on this (2002ish?) Camaro? The amber lens?

I can be wrong but I think it was working. Same thing for the braking lights

[​IMG]

Anyway, it changes nothing. This guy should have avoided this car by a mile, turn signal or not.

The sun could have impacted his vision but it's not an excuse for not seeing the damn car. Damn, I saw it on a small video window, a lot before it was "too late" (but it wasn't too late even 1/2 second before his crash since he only had to swerve a little bit to the right to escape from it). It's easy to "not see" something when you're not paying attention.
  5. tommysmothers

tommysmothers Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer:
    Some selected comments from the various uploads of the video:

6. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I think I see brake lights, but whatever... he should've registered that the Camaro was getting bigger, way before he hit it.
    :p3rry
  7. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    No matter what the Camaro driver did or didn't do,....it's ALL his fault.

I agree, looks like the left turn signal is on. The car was stopped or nearly stopped a LONG time before he got there. THEN he freaked, I heard a quick brake squeal, didn't use ANY evasive manuver (my bet is he knows none at all). I agree too, that is probably looking down right in front of the bike.

Damned lucky he didn't kill himself. Best that he never rides again. Natural Selection applies every single time we ride, and only the strong survive.

Seems a lot of the dumb-asses on cycles focus more on recording themselves, spending money on a GoPro, rather than spend the bucks on rider training or decent gear. Ok,...off the soapbox old man.
  8. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Since the bike's shadow appears in the frame ahead of the bike, as well as sliver of car shadow to its right, we can see that the sun was mostly behind and a little to the rider's left. So that interferes with the rider's vision by lighting up the car too well??
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Well, he did buy an HD, right ????
  10. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    If he had bought cheap Japanese crap instead, maybe he could have afforded some gloves to go with it.
  11. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    By impacting his vision, I meant the turn signal, not the whole car. Like I had to play the vid frame by frame to "see" (if it's really that) the turnsignal bulb on.

I wasn't trying to excuse him, don't get me wrong. I was just trying to explain why he said that the car had no brake or turn lights on. He was simply not paying attention I guess.
  12. DepthFinder

DepthFinder Portly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It probably was a distraction. Rider was likely pondering whether or not it had any prisoners. The sun does not never have no prisoners. :rofl
  13. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The rider was inattentive, and could have easily avoided the collision if he
    had been looking ahead. What I don't understand is why the Camaro driver
    was sitting still in the road when there were no on coming vehicles.
  14. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Okay, I get that part. But damn, it wasn't actually a reason for the crash, it was in plain sight lights or not. If it was night time and the car was sitting in the lane with no lights, then the car's lights could have been a factor.

And from where the rider was previously positioned in the lane, he could have easily gone right a bit more and ridden around the car without even slowing down (though I would NOT suggest that as the first, best alternative). Instead I think he actually comes left a little and hits the car a little more "fat".
  15. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    "The shop that sells those ______ is around here somewhere. Is that it? Slow down. Turn! No wait, it looks closed. Never mind...."

It could be anything, really just a curiosity, not the "proximate cause" of the crash.
  16. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Using signals? Correct. I flaunt the law and use them anyway.

:lol3
  17. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:

Trouble maker! LOL
  18. Reverend12

Reverend12 Well there it is..

Oddometer:
    He doesn't know much about lane positioning either..:eek1
  19. Derbobs

Derbobs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very last frame you can clearly see gang members steal his bike, so i assume it was all a setup.
  20. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CNN showed the video today. This crash is national news !!!