NC/SC beach trip recommendations

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by monjorrow, Jun 23, 2014.

1. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    The girlfriend and a couple of friends of ours are wanting to go to the beach in mid August. The only problem is I hate the beach with a passion and have avoided it since I was old enough to stay away from family vacations to the beach. This meaning I know nothing about where to go really and what is good and what is bad. I would like to keep it as cheap as possible and the less people the better. So opinions on where to go and where to stay would be much appreciated. And depending on budget I would possibly be looking at doing like a half day inshore red fish charter so if you know any reputable guides that'd be great too!
  2. Leget

Leget Rally Tractor Pilot

Oddometer:
    The Cape Lookout area is really great if you're trying to avoid the crowds.
    Local ferry service is available to the Cape from Beaufort and Harkers Island.
    You can camp on the beach there......

http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

You also might want to consider one of the rental homes available on Harkers Island which is a great alternative to an overpriced hotel on the beach.
  3. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Finding a beach without lots of people in mid-August may be a challenge, waiting until after Labor Day reduces the crowds considerably.

Haven't been there in a long time, but the Outer Banks were pretty nice. From Kitty Hawk all the way down to Ocracoke Island.

That said... Ocean Isle or Sunset Beach in NC are nice and typically not too crowded.

Mt. Pleasant and Folly Beach near Charleston might not be real crowded.

We went to Edisto Island last year and it wasn't real busy. I didn't care much for the beach itself... too steep and rocky for my taste.

We've been to Hilton Head several times and it's nice as well. The beach can be very busy or not busy at all depending on where you are on the island.

I've heard Tybee Island is nice though I've never been there.

If you prefer the gulf coast... Apalachiacola / St. George Island is a good quiet spot.
  4. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll look into all of those and see if I can plan a semi enjoyable trip lol
  5. ob1quixote

ob1quixote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add the beach at Hunting Island, outside of Beaufort SC.
  6. drm

drm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for tybee island. There are private hotels there and some neat local places to eat. Ocean isle is nice and we would go back there as well as N. Myrtle Beach too.

My favorite has been ocean city, MD. Though that might be farther than you want to travel.
  7. cleanerman

cleanerman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    North Litchfield, just south of Murrells Inlet, SC has a very nice beach. Rent a house, split the cost and have a wonderful time. Big beach and usually not too crowded. If you like to walk in the early morning, you may have it to yourself. Brookgreen Gardens is a must see if you are in the area.

Several good "biker" watering holes in Murrells Inlet. Good shopping for the ladies and a good place to goof off for the guys.
  8. kneeslider

kneeslider Insufficient privileges!

Oddometer:
    Ocrakoke if its still there!

The last storm, "Arthur" covered or move Route 12 in several locations & repairs may be ongoing through the summer & or until the next storm.

enjoy
  9. tommysmothers

tommysmothers Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer:
    Coworker was just down in Myrtle Beach, he said the paid-entry beaches were like ghost towns compared to the free beaches.
  10. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In addition to the above, check Topsail Island/Surf City too.
  11. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a house at Ocean Isle (not for rent...sorry)...we move in there for a few weeks every summer and just got back from that trip.

Fishing is good....charter Capt. Jacob or Capt. Jeff from www.oifc.com for Flounder, Redfish, Trout, etc. inshore. You could also do 1/2 day offshore for King Mackerel, or full day for gulf stream/mahi, wahoo, etc.

Ocean Isle is family oriented and the most commercialization there is a couple restaurants, small fishing center, ice cream shop, pier, a couple bars and mini golf. Just enough to keep you busy, but not enough to annoy you.

Ocean Isle is also 40 minutes from Wilmington or Southport for a cool half day trip. Also 30-40 minutes from North Myrtle/Myrtle for a half day of chaos in the more busy tourist areas.

If you want to rent a canal house there, you are looking at thousands per week...but they will sleep an army of people.

The Winds at Ocean Isle is a more rustic little beachfront hotel on the quiet end of the island....

there are also some condo options for rent....

You can rent a kayak or two and have a little fun if you don't have access to a boat...

Anyway, it's a nice place to consider, along with Sunset, Holden or Oak Island...

Further north is Wrightsville Beach and Topsail....nice places too.
  12. MayorOfBBQ

MayorOfBBQ Come at me bro

Oddometer:
    We own a house on Ocean Isle, Anson St ... Yes a good recommendmendation... good luck finding an open house or hotel room in August this late notice tho??

We don't rent out house either, so I am not sure about the market... but I think most of those rental houses get booked months and months in advance.

What sort of experience are you looking for?

Cheap Hotel
    Nice Hotel
    Rental house
    camping
    etc
    etc

I say you'd have to be nuts to camp at the beach in August :puke1
  13. Gumbeaux

Oddometer:
    We are on Dare St.
    Wife and son typically move in there for the summer...I run back and forth with work, work there when I can, fly out of ILM or MYR, etc. They logged 6 weeks between Memorial Day and yesterday down there. A bunch of grumpiness here today back in the Atlanta suburbs!
  14. MayorOfBBQ

Oddometer:
    I'm stuck in this house with my mom and her husband.

I hate the beach.. When I look at that house I see a money pit.. That's about it.

Trying to get out now.. But my mom loves the place and drives down from Burlington to spend 3-4 days a week there.

Of course she can do this with no damn job... I go a handful of times a year, mostly just to take my GF or friends who want to go...

I can't even enjoy myself while I'm there... All I see is the meter spinning on the homeowners insurance, flood, wind, fire, high ass utilities..
    How many more years before I have to shell out for canal dredging again???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    Damn those 1st world problems!!!

Sell it or rent it out, make it work for you.

<>< Fish

16. MayorOfBBQ

Oddometer:

Mom won't sell but can't buy me out.. Can't rent it, she is there with her shithead friends 50% of the time

If I ride it out, one day I'll have it all to myself, then I can sell it solo.

As of now, I look at it as retirement income. If I'm still working when she passes, I'll rent it and roll the cash into my retirement accounts & use it for family vaycay. (We own it outright 50/50)

If I'm retired by the time she goes, I'll sell it right away and pay off whatever mortgage I have on my home &/or pay off any remaining kids college bills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. monjorrow

monjorrow Young n Dumb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. But I think I killed the beach idea for now(thank god). I told her we would go on a really nice trip after I graduate in December.
  18. MayorOfBBQ

Oddometer:
    Dude, if you want a good NC beach trip.. Start planning now and take your girl to the Outer Banks.

Take the ferry over to Okracoke and stay in a B&B or small Inn

Rent bikes with baskets and ride north out to a lonesome stretch of beach, no crowds, no tourist shit

After a couple days of that, you can head north and do the historic/ tourist thing at Hatteras, Kitty hawk, etc and stay a night or two in a more touristy beach area..

Take a day charter & go fishing while the girls lounge on the beach
  19. peejman

peejman i wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Speaking of fishing on Ocean Isle... Is the shrimp boat guy still there? My parents went shrimping while staying there one year and came home with something like 90lbs but I can't remember the name of the boat/business. That's been something like 10 years ago.
  20. Gumbeaux

Oddometer:
    Not aware of that...
    You can stop by the shrimp boats in Holden Beach and buy right off the boat sometimes...

MayorofBBQ....well, it sounds like you just don't like the beach...:rofl

We love Ocean Isle because we love all the great stuff that comes with it i.e. offshore and inshore fishing, kayaking, a little socializing, making memories with kids and family, etc. Lots of good family memories there. I can take or leave the actual beach itself...it's 100 yards away and I can stay a week without going there except for maybe a late evening or early morning stroll...

Anyway...Mayor makes a good recommendation on Outer Banks and Ocracoke...that's a bucket list item for anyone...a rustic camping trip on the OBX...watching wild ponies, etc.