The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Charleston

Charleston Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your bike is ridden hard so this will be a great test. Thanks for leading the way. And the Traveler thread is very useful, thanks also for getting that started.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>

I only noticed the slip when in 2<SUP>nd</SUP> or 3<SUP>rd</SUP> gear at moderate speed on pavement and then nailed the gas wide open. Freeplay adjustment helped but if it gets worse I will take it to Honda as you suggested since my motor is stock.<o:p></o:p>
    Off-road is probably harder on the transmission because you can abruptly go from no traction to traction under full power like landing a jump. I wondered if Honda designed the clutch to take some of the shock out. <o:p></o:p>
  2. callison

callison Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks SAPB, I have the files ready to go to do a writeup on how I did the swing arm service, just haven't had the time to get it put together. Shitty weather round here today, might be able to make some time to get it sorted out.
  3. D-Real

D-Real n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm sure I can benefit from the saftey course. I'm going took look into midweek classes. I didn't see any available at the community college where they have weekend classes booking but hopefully they will soon. Millville is not that far away so that's another option I didn't know about, thanks for the info.

As far as people driving crazy in NJ. I can vouch for thar. Especially in the summer since I live just outside of a beach resort. Of course I will be hitting the trails to avoid the summer traffic whenever I can but there are some Cracker Jack licensed drivers out here.

Thanks for the fuel type information. I'm going to use regular. One thing that has me scratching my head is the ignition. When I put my key in and try to turn it, I have to wiggle, push, pull, etc... to get the thing to turn to the on position. I'm going to read my manual and/or talk to the dealer. Maybe I'm missing a step or maybe it has a faulty ignition.
  4. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Able to take a brief ride today. Tried pulling the clutch in 3rd, and revving, and snapping, no slipping at all, really abrupt. Maybe they made my bike on a Wednesday.
  5. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try moving the bar end a little while turning the key, sometimes the thing just gets back a bit from being in the fully locked (bar turned full left, not the key locked position). Or just push the bar full left before trying the key.
  6. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our winter here in Wisconsin has been terrible long. Yesterday it got up to 41F and the roads were clear of ice and snow.
    Pushed the Lil Honda out of the basement, rooster tailed through about a foot of snow to get to my driveway, then put 27 wonderful miles on her. It was a delight

Now today it is snowing again. :cry. Will spring ever get here?
  7. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went out today, it was 47 degrees out. Even with heated gloves, it felt really good to get back in the nice warm house. Global warming?
  8. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent- I've got the torque setttings, just waiting on some photos! I did find a detailed pictorial on greasing the swingarm bearings for a klr650 so I am getting closer....
  9. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had a crack at greasing up my linkage- found it pretty easy though I removed the dog legs first which differs slightly to what was mentioned in another post. Lucky I did this now as the upper dog leg bolt was corroded and the inner sleeve of this bolt had rust/corrosion as well. Another couple of wet winter months (we are in autumn now) and this bolt/sleeve would have been severely rusted. All other bolts were bone dry and probably one winter away from becoming rusty. No grease anywhere inside the needles, just a very light coating of weird light tan color non greasy crap. Wiped errything dry, polished off as much corrosion as I could and packed heaps of Mobil marine grade grease on all areas. I will get my dealership to replace the corroded bolt under warranty as I have done under 2000kms with only a couple of creek crossings. I will also get the dealership to grease the swingarm and steering bearings as warranty repair. Well at least I will try, if they refuse then they will lose out on all further sales which is not a small number.....moral of this story? Grease your linkages, swingarm and steering bearings NOW. Or sell the bike after a year.....!
  10. opticalmace

opticalmace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apologies if it's been covered, but how are lowering options on this bike? I haven't sat on one but I think I would need a couple inches+.
  11. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go to Ramz's site, and the last two pictures when you scroll all the way down show two lowering options: http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm
  12. LillaMan

LillaMan Be specific, Bob.

Oddometer:
    Here's my recently completed fatbar conversion.

I had a used BMW F800GS handlebar lying around, so I bought a cheap pair of converters and installed it.

Much more comfortable riding position, standing and sitting.

I'm still looking for a good set of handguards though. With temperatures still around freezing here, I can last an hour before I lose feeling in my fingers.

[​IMG]

And the test ride, yesterday:

[​IMG]
  13. Turk

Turk 'Bab Man

Oddometer:
    After 250kms of asfalt I finally introduced my LRP to something called mud :D

[​IMG]
  14. Kevinsterner

Kevinsterner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to replace my rear tire soon. I live in Arizona so most of my offroad travels are hard pack and rocky. (very rocky) I do ride it on the pavement (mostly to get to the dirt) The front looks to be in good shape. I also thought a little wider rear tire might be good also.. any suggestions will be appreciated. The ODO reads 2,011 miles

Thanks
  15. siyeh

Oddometer:
    If you want a wider tire Dunlop D606

Otherwise I may go with a Michelin T63 in stock size

I have 700 miles on my CRF rear is over half gone
  16. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought that same thing at aroun 8-900, but at 1600 miles it looks the same as it did then. I ride almost exclusively pavement because of my commute, and its too cold for fun riding at the moment.
  17. siyeh

Oddometer:
    I sure hope I can get 1600 out of my rear but it's not looking good right now. I will have to put one on before my three week Colorado trip for sure. Not doing the mountains without fresh skins!
  18. Mk5mike

Mk5mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am at over 1600 miles and still looks like a good tire so far
  19. gnath9

gnath9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I am having my bike completely gone thru as I read this is something all new bike owners should do regardless of make or model.

good post as this is little known knowledge ...
  20. gnath9

gnath9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I chose to go with IRC TR8 Battle Rallys
    They are a lot like a D606 but a tad more aggressive. And cheaper too !!!