So, I was wondering...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ElRod, Oct 23, 2012.

1. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    ...why my 990 was idling like shit and the fuel mileage was in the toilet too.

The injector nozzles look clean but probably wouldn't be a bad idea to send them out for cleaning / balancing. Anyone know where I can have this done?

Fucking ethanol. Am I pissed? The light from pissed would take two years to reach me I'm so far from that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JTXT

JTXT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pro Flow has the tools and knowledge to clean your injectors right and they have serviced KTM injectors before.

http://www.proflowtech.com/
  3. bloc

bloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to get concerned about the effects of ethanol on my carbed bike as well.. and keep seeing mention of Sta-bil marine formula.. does this stuff actually do anything?
  4. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    In my case, no. This is twice now. After the first time I've been running Exxon premium AND Lucas ethanol fuel treatment. I just don't know what to do. Guess I'll try Shell and Star-Tron this time to combat this problem.

Anyone else been using a conditioner that works?
  5. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=741228

Here's how to deal with this:

1- I use 93 or 89 Octane "Top Tier" Fuels for they have great Fuel additvies like Techron from Chevron, etc. (more of a chance to little or no Ethanol.)

http://www.seafoamsales.com/gasoline-engine-faqs.html

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

2- Periodically use SeaFoam or StarTron Fuel Additive (perhaps about 1x month or if Bike is left to sit for more than 2 weeks.

This should mitigate or eliminate your ethanol problems.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...13&postcount=7 -No Treatment -Any Gas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Carbs at 12k miles with Top Tier Gas & Periodic Gas Treatment/SeaFoam and NOT Cleaned.

[​IMG]
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
  6. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Do you think this would qualify as top tier gas? :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:

ROTFL:rofl
  8. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    No shit !!! That would probably be better than what I've been getting.

#00 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you should have opted for the MAGNA... :rayof

related... I had a 01 Chevy Astro Van with the 4.3 V6 and the throttle body would look like that after about 10k miles. The butterfly valve would get hung up on the crap that built up and you'd have to stomp on the accelerator to brake it free which caused the vehicle to lunge from a stand still. So when I felt that occuring, I'd spray Gumout carb cleaner down the throttle body to clean out the varnish that collected there. Very similar to what you are seeing...
  10. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sea foam is AWESOME, I have used it or several years now in bikes. Carbs are clean like the above pictured.

Never used it in one of my bikes, looked like the first picture the other day when I tore into it...

I am even more of a believer now!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. Nailhead

Nailhead Puck Futin Supporter

Oddometer:
    BG 44K.

It has always worked really for me in whatever vehicle, gas or diesel.
  12. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    The map sensor hole on #1 was nearly completely covered, #2 about half. What a mess. I was having trouble balancing the the manifold air pressure in Tune ECU and looking at the throttle plates now that it is apart the #1 plate was having to be opened quite a bit more than #2 to even get it close. To balance I was seeing around 400 - 410 hPa. What kind of numbers are the rest of you getting that have adjusted this?

It'll be a while before I get it buttoned up again as I have to travel to Colorado for my job. I'll let you know how it turns out.

On another note. I did the canisterectomy / SAS a while back and now that I have easy access what is the collectives thought on either running the "S" hose or blocking at each intake runner? I have the S hose arrangement now.
  13. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    KTM North America invested in a sweet injector tester system. Your dealer can send in your injectors for cleaning/testing & provide you pricing (shipping, etc)

it has a fuel rail with back-lit clear precision-graduated columns that allow you to both observe the spray patterns and the exact amount sprayed over time (useful for matching on multi-cylinder bikes) and uses different parameters/pulse durations to see if any have a "weak" spot of operation.

It's a pretty neat piece of kit, we checked it out at KTM Tech class. It's pretty damn expensive

[​IMG]
  14. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    Back from Colorado for a few days then returning again tomorrow. I removed the MAP sensor orifices today and the photo below shows what they looked like. I've found yet another use for the .010 piece of guitar string some of us use for cleaning the clutch oil jet. I dont know exactly what size the hole is but it's little larger than that. They are currently sitting in a can of carb cleaner at the moment.

Thanks for the tips so far, I appreciate that. I have found someone to clean the injectors plus check the flow and pattern.

No one has yet chimed in on whether or not to plug the ports or run the "S" hose after doing the SAS/Canisterectomy. Anyone?

[​IMG]
  15. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    Back together and it's like having a new bike. I was able to balance the throttle bodies to within a few hPa and set the TPS. It now idles like it should and runs great. One thing I noticed immediately was that on balancing it was down to around 375 whereas before it was 400+. BTW, I removed the "S" hose and simply plugged the SAS ports. All good.

Before this, Nels at 2wheeldynoworks had been helping me sort through some fueling issues. He has been able to remove the off idle snatch and get rid of the hesitation at around 4,500 RPM. Thanks Nels!!! May have a little more to do as it seems lean on top after installing the CPR air filter.

I'm in love with this bike all over again.
  16. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish Top Tier Fuels were available in California
  17. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    Run it to 140 miles and still no low fuel light. Couldn't stand it, pulled in to fill up and check mileage......42.68 riding the bike as I usually do. I'm thrilled since I'd been only seeing + - 30 mpg.
  18. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad things have worked out well for you.

Can you summarize what you did to achieve the results you are getting now?
  19. ElRod

ElRod Drifter

Oddometer:
    Sure AdvGa.

The summary is this bike had been running worse and worse for some time along with the mpg dropping. Recently got TuneECU and the cable from CJ Designs to balance the TB’s and set TPS. That done it wouldn’t idle. Looked for a tuner in my area and nobody knows jack shit about KTM’s. Posted here in the OC and someone turned me on to Nels Byersdorf at 2 wheel dyno works in Washington.

After emails and a phone conversation to discuss my setup he had me send him my OEM map which he tweaked and sent back. Bike ran great, lost the off idle snatch and the hesitation at 4,500 rpm roll ons but it still wouldn’t idle. Removed the throttle bodies and found that mess pictured in the first post. In the process of cleaning all that up (especially the plugged MAP sensor ports) and traveling for my job, ordered and installed the CPR air filter to get rid of that OEM behemoth and make access to the TB’s much easier. Put it all back together, balanced the TB’s, set the TPS and have been very happy with the results.

I still think it may be lean on top with the addition of the CPR filter and will discuss with Nels, but short of monitoring the AFR to really nail it this the bike runs better than the day I bought it. I see an AFR monitor in my future. I’ve been looking, any suggestions?

In the end, if there is one, a good fuel map and getting rid of the ethanol induced contamination has made all the difference.
  20. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your well stated reply of your fix(es).

Many Happy Miles & Smiles to ya!