Advantages Zumo Vs Montana Vs 62S

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by XRman, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    I have to say that I have really enjoyed having a forward facing camera mounted all the time. I made a shortcut to the camera so I can get to it quickly. Sometimes, you come across something that you'd like to grab a snapshot of, but don't want to stop and dig a camera out of the tank bag.

Example: blasting across VT 17 in the rain.

[​IMG]

Or the Crown Point bridge.

[​IMG]
  2. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    I agree. It's not a great camera, but for about $30 to $40 more, it's worth getting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you take pictures from the 650 while it is mounted in the cradle?

My co-riders who have the 650 always seem to take the unit out of the cradle to take pictures.

This would be an attractive thing for me. I do miss getting pictures of places I would like because it is too hard to get the camera out sometimes. Especially in gnarly situations.

It's too late for me since I bought the 600 and plan to keep it a while.
  4. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    I've taken many photos with the Montana 650 but they are always a bit of a compromise. If you want a decent shot, the gps has to be tilted back so far that it's not easy to see the map screen.
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can. That is how I always do it. If I am going to walk around with a camera taking pics, I'll use the 12MP point-and-shoot camera that lives in my tank bag.

The pics above were taken with the Montana in the position shown below. Since then, I have picked up a Nav V which is centrally mounted above the instruments, and have sold the Zumo that shared the left handlebar with the Montana. I have moved the Montana farther to the left than it is in the picture below. Although I haven't tried it yet, I think it will no longer be picking up the edge of the windscreen.

[​IMG]
  6. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    More Montana Camera Pics: Just to show that it's not a bad camera. All the pictures were taken while the gps/camera was on its mount. You can see the headlight cowl and brake tube on my bike in some of the pictures.

SWMBO.

[​IMG]

Marking a water hazard.

[​IMG]

My son on his G450X:

[​IMG]

A trail under a local highway.

[​IMG]

Refreshments.

[​IMG]
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Heck, my lens on my 650 is always covered in mud/dust and bug guts so it's pretty useless. :dunno
  8. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Today I found a local (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) pawn shop with two new 62S units at $160 each. Not a bad price.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
  9. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    I am sure Im not telling you all anything new, but I have some TOPO maps as well as one of my favorites Roads and Recreation. The ZUMO will display TOPO maps. You just have to turn off the others. I just wait until Im in North GA and want to explore. I then just turn off the road map and use R&R or TOPO. I also use the MP3 player when slabing.

That said I am looking for a good handheld GPS I can use on the boat and as a supplement to the ZUMO on the bike. Also want to play with some Geocaching one day. Thinking hard about the 62stc or a Montana. The biggest thing I like about the old GPS III+ and 60csx is that robust power cord. The Montana, Monterra, and 62stc leave a lot to be desired.
  10. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    If you use the AMPS mount for Montana, which is what most users seem to like best, the power cord for that is quite robust, unless I misunderstand your point.
  11. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Monterra isn't even released yet.
    The Montana (and presumable the Monterra) uses the excellent rugged mount for power.
    The 62s has the functionally identical 78s as an alternative and it does have the HD power connector.

Bruce
  12. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Zumo is not just a Street GPS. As a Zumo 660 and a Montana owner I can say that I haven't had one dirt road on my Montana that the Zumo hasn't had on it. I use the Zumo more than the Montan cause I thinks it's easier to navigate and more user friendly. And like I said it has had every dirt road on it than I have ever gone on. Now if your doing single track and goat trials your not gonna find those on the Montana either.. That's been my experience.. If you want some great GPS advice look up username Riverpilot. That guy is the GPS guru and helps with product and map development with Garmin.. He was the one that convinced me not to waste my money on TOPO maps..
  13. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You do realize of course that it's the Maps loaded on the GPS that make the determination as to whether you see a road in a particular location - not the GPS model.
  14. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Gee Dan, you planning to give away all our secrets?

:lol3

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know I wasted my money getting Topo maps. I wonder why I use them so much? Maybe because City Navigator just doesn't have all the roads and trailsI would like to ride on.
  16. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have topo on a Montana and City Navigator on the Zumo and like I said I have yet to find a road on Topo that I haven't seen on City Navigator. Only thing it doesn't have is all the topo lines. YMMV. Mine doesn't. Not saying Topo isn't good just saying City Navigator is "THAT" good..
  17. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Just in case, a warning: don't have both Topo and CNNA enabled at the same time on one gps because CNNA hides all other map detail. It's the highest in the map hierarchy.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
  18. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated, nothing to do with Montana, it is the maps that YOU load.

For single tracks, try Roads & Rec. It has all the single tracks that were shown on the 1980's 1:100,000 topo maps.