South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    are our half day here at the hard yard. I kept my eye on the weather radar and just kind of guessed when John might leave.

I got antsy and the rain had stopped several hours earlier so I decided it would be kind of cool to meet him on the road so I got Red out and hit the road, keeping a keen eye out on the northbound traffic across the median of US 287. I wanted to get to Henrietta, TX and shoot east on US 82 where he'd be easier to spot.

Once on US 82 I just putted along, allowing traffic to pass and stopping for a picture or two. We're in a severe drought and seeing mud and standing water was almost foreign.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just pressed on, slowly. About 15 miles east of Henrietta I see a single headlight but as it approaches I realize it's a big Goldwing. Not wanting to get too far from home in case I did miss him on 287, or if he decided to wait until Friday, I slowed even more and decided to turn back at 20 miles out.

We meet at about 18 miles.

[​IMG]

I hook a U and soon discover that following JDowns on the road is just as pleasant as following him through South America.

[​IMG]

It seemed kind of weird that he didn't stop though. He was nursing the KLX along on reserve, thinking he was nearly dry. We stopped and introduced ourselves as we filled the Green Machine. His jaundiced looking hands initially concerned me that I was joining John on his last good ride.:eek1

It was just the gloves.

Given the option of blasting up a busy US 287 or some farm to market roads, well, I felt foolish after asking. He fell in behind and we took the long way home.

[​IMG]

We got to the house and spent a great evening talking, laughing, and sharing what bits and pieces of our lives that time would allow, staying up way past the time Lois and I usually retire.
  2. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    we finally got around to discussing the route he will be taking today. Rather than just grind it out on US 287, I showed him a better set of roads that would take him right through Turkey, TX -- home of Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys.

JDowns, recent Texan, "Who's that?":rofl

If time permits he might visit Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

....and speaking of canyons, while we were drinking coffee this morning we discovered that he, just like Lois and I, had disregarded the many signs at the rim of the Grand Canyon warning visitors not to attempt to hike to the bottom and back in one day and then suffered the most pure muscle soreness the following 4 days that one might imagine. Rebels without a clue.

Coincidence, or Karma of the road less traveled?

Far too soon, it was time for Rainman to get back on the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John, thank you so much for making opening our home to a "stranger" such a wonderful experience.

We'll talk about this for a long, long time -- and never forget it.

Until we meet again,

Scott and Lois
  3. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Oh crap, I agree. Did that thing a long time ago with some much younger guys. The last part was murder. Easily one of the hardest things I've ever done. And I've done a bunch of hard (stupid, if you ask my wife) stuff. Much, much harder than the Hotter'N Hell Hundred.
  4. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought this was a ride report about south America, what happened? This stuff is boring
  5. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    This is the "and back" part.
  6. Cmnthead

Cmnthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Teeswater Ontario Canada/ Playa Oria Panama
    Honestly.....if you have nothing positive or constructive to say, please, keep it to yourself, it depresses the rest of us that enjoy these reports. Regardless where they are.:norton
  7. Hawk62cj5

Hawk62cj5 2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer:
    Is it just my imagination or the the KLX have a bit more rake than the Sherpa ?
  8. 3dogrider

3dogrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    John , thanks for stopping by today. Good food and good conversation regarding life in the slow lane, motos and historic masonry. I cooked the ribs another 3 hours and they are falling off the bone. Ummmm good. You are welcomed here anytime and I look forward to seeing you again. Travel safe. Terry
  9. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Great stories John, keep it up.:clap
  10. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    I've been out riding around the last four days and hardly took any pics. Had a great time visiting with Animal Instinct and wife. He showed me some fun backroads through Turkey Texas and Palo Duro Canyon, the Grand Canyon of the Texas panhandle. I had never heard of it. It's out in the middle of nowhere southeast of Amarillo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who knew?

Camped last night in New Mexico in a picnic shelter. Left at first light, so the pic is barely viewable:

[​IMG]

Headed up to Salida, Colorado and visited 3dogrider and his lovely wife. He does historic masonry preservation, so we had plenty to talk about. He gave a tour of the town. He does nice work. Plus he makes some mean smoked ribs. Not to mention his wife's cherry crisp with cherries picked from their tree. Mmmmm mmmmm good.

Then it was up to Buena Vista which was a zoo of tourists. I missed bigdon who was already headed home, so headed to Leadville to camp. There was lots of traffic along with thunderheads up the valley. Hmmmmm.
    Who wants to camp in the rain and ride in traffic?

Not me. So I turned around and headed to New Mexico. Ahhhhh. This is more like it:

[​IMG]

South of Coatapaxi on a road 3dogrider recommended. Many miles of curves followed by these long stretches off to the horizon. No cars, no people, just wide open spaces.

Heading down to New Mexico on backroads threading through thunderstorms:

[​IMG]

More later......
  11. 810H4Z4RD

810H4Z4RD Old n00b

Oddometer:
    Southern CO and NM is ground i'd hoped to see but missed, thanks for giving us a taste. I admire your flexibility when it comes to the route.

Have you ever been hassled for camping at picnic / rest areas, or is it generally allowed? I see a few "No Overnight Camping" signs and get paranoid that the tent police will get me if i'm even in sight of a picnic table.
  12. JDowns

Oddometer:
    You have to play it by ear. I've never been hassled. When you pull in after midnight, don't set up a tent, sleep a few hours behind the picnic table in a covered shelter and leave at first light, it's not like you are depriving picnickers of their space.
  13. calimusjohn

calimusjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John, I was a bit surprised to see you get the Green machine - after I demonstrated the advantages of a TW200 in Apache Junction.

14. Travelbugblues

Travelbugblues Teacher on the road

Oddometer:
    Home: Seattle. Current mission: the world!
    Hey Tio! I'll be riding through Texas in about... 20 days maybe? Would have been fun to meet again! Heading for Antigua, Guatemala this morning.

Can you PM me or post on my thread if you have any good suggestions for my little bike in TX and beyond? I'll be cutting through the States fast to get back to Seattle for a wedding, but will stop to visit friends along the way.

Take care!
    Elisa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    Exactly.

If you set up a tent, you are 'camping'. If you don't, you are 'resting'. It is a 'rest' area, so you should be good. Just play the safety angle (I was very tired and it wasn't safe to continue).
    So I guess that means the difference between resting and camping is your comfort level? :rofl
  16. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....and if you eat, you're picnicking.:D
  17. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Elisa!

So good to hear from you! Would love to see you again when you pass through Texas so you can tell me all about your adventures.

I don't have a place for you to stay, alas, as I am a migrant worker down here. But please do let me know when you get to the Lonestar state. It's mighty nice around here.

And do look up Guaterider and Guaterider Girl when you get to Antigua. You would love them. Really nice folks.

Free camping in Antigua next to the police station by the way.

Abrazos,
    Tio Juan
  18. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi CJ,

The TW is too much bike for a little guy like me. Just kidding.

Good to hear from you amigo.

Your ADVpal,
    Tio Juanito
  19. JDowns

Oddometer:
    It was gray and gloomy in New Mexico this morning so I headed east towards the sunshine.

Free range cattle ranching meant no fences on this road. Just ride out into the pasture, find a spot with no cow patties and eat some brunch. Nothing but the sound of the wind blowing across the plains out here:

[​IMG]

Rode up to the top of Capulin volcano out in the middle of nowhere in northeast New Mexico. It is a national monument, and the ranger warned me about all the dangerous ess curves on the way up. Dang! That was best thing I'd heard all morning. I rode up and down twice. It was fun!

[​IMG]

Up at the top of the volcano there were a couple of guys from Abilene. They were on a Goldwing and Harley. While their wives were hiking the trail around the top of the volcano we sat on the rock wall and talked about bikes and travel. They were on their way up to Wyoming. Here are my new Texan biker pals:

[​IMG]

Beautiful views out towards Oklahoma from over 8000 feet:

[​IMG]

Later on I stopped to talk to some stone masons who were putting stone veneer on a cinder block building. Nice guys but not the greatest stone masons:

[​IMG]

I am currently in the panhandle of Oklahoma catching some wifi at this nice public library in Boise City, Oklahoma:

[​IMG]

It's closed on Mondays, but you can still sit on the bench in the shade and update your ride report.

Heading to camp at Black Mesa State park that was recommended by Scott and Lois. It sounds nice. Will report back what I find.

More later......
  20. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Great to see you out and about enjoying the world John.

it is such an interesting report you have as it is all over the map, yet it all comes together so nicely.

Thanks again for keeping us in the know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.