mystery ship

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Lee 303, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Late 60s early 70s ural sidecar was attached to a R69s with US forks, The current owner is not interested in sidecars. But I like the style of it better than my Sputnik. It will be even slower with the larger profile and extra weight but it just looks right.We agreed on a price and I am convinced that junky old sidecars have taken over my life! Help I'm losing my mind!!!
  2. rathackman

rathackman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This sidecar is identical to mine....I have been calling mine an early 70's Ural but really have no clue the vintage....I hope you can figure out more than I on it....
    Brian
  3. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    This one has no provision for a brake back plate on the trailing arm and was probably fitted with just a dust cover. I have to think it's earlier rather than later since since having a brake on the sidecar wheel would seem to be a very desirable option (self preservation) even in a planned economy. I think it's a m-66 because of the non-brake axle and the tub sits on rubber snowmen instead of heavy leaf springs like the m-62 and m-63.These were first made in 1972 so at the most it's 40 years old.
  4. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A friend of mine bought this 72-74? Ural sidecar along with basket case R69s US five years of ago. Well the bike is now restored and long story short I am out some cash and now rescuing the unwanted sidecar. I picked it up Monday and the tub is now in Custom Metal Fabrication's workshop for panel repair of the forward floor after I blew a few holes through it.To make the daylight holes I started first with a screwdriver then moved on to the even more effective sandblaster.
    The chassis is equipped with a 19 inch Avon sidecar tire (what's left of it) and the rim looked to good to be Russian, my guess would be English (good chrome under the surface rust) the spokes are c.r.s. I don't think mixing the 19 inch with the r60 18 inch wheels would be good since the s/c camber would seem to be caddywhompus. The r69s had a ball welded to the right forward downtube rather than the typical ball at the lower engine mount bolt. My guess is this was a quick and dirty attempt at attaching the s/c that got around replacing the wheel with an 18 incher and some other soon to be discovered pesky issues.
    My Sputnik is now detached and the r60 is getting the cylinders bored to the 1st oversize at 50k miles. My hope is that Ural will ride as nicely as the Sputnik and I have been unable to find an accurate weight difference between the two. I know the dry weight spec. on the Sputnik is 205 lbs from the Monom manual, trolling the internet I calculated the m66 chair at 231 lbs from comparing the solo with the outfit. Any idea if my calculation is even close? The Ural seems huge compared to the Sputnik.
    The seat cushions/springs are practically nonexistent at this point. So I am in the market for a usable seat. Pity he didn't just turn it over on it's back to store it outdoors. Oh well, at least it's salvageable and the poor old rpoc has had it's trajectory turned 180 degrees.
  5. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  7. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well I have given up on fitting the Ural chassis onto the r60 for the near term and put the Ural tub on the IZH Sputnik chassis since it had been rigged last year and handled very nicely.I found a good used seat from a foilhead in Maine (hats off to yah!) The dog seemed okay with it. But he perfered the Sputnik since he could rest his paws on the front cowl. My significant other likes the Ural ride better, the seat is better and ride less bouncy and much easier entry.
  8. Ivan Rider

Ivan Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job. I put a Ural of that same vintage on my 78 R80/6 about 12 yrs. ago. What you going to do with the Sputnik?
  9. Lee 303

Lee 303 razryadka

Oddometer:
    Right now the it's sitting in a trailer. As soon as the Ural frame is rigged I will reunite the IZH and maybe find a suitable tug. I just missed a 82 Suzuki 450gs with 7k on the clock for very short money which has about the same power as r69s or a new ural it could make for good winter combo.