Aarrffin' around Appalachia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Aarrff, May 18, 2012.

1. BobRob

BobRob Pick one Supporter

Oddometer:
    How on Earth did I miss this? Wasn't paying attention I guess, but please continue....:lurk
  2. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Lemme know. I don't know a whole lot but can go scout some...when appx is that event?

Thanks!
  3. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    It must really suck to live around all those crappy roads and awfully scenery! Your report has great timing since I am headed that way in less than two weeks on my way to Cleveland Ohio via the scenic errrr I mean crappy route. I'll probably ride some of the same roads in your report. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My planning thread is here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796334

In case you don't remember me, we met a couple of years ago at buzzards Roost:

[​IMG]
  4. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Absolutley I remember...I will check out your thread later today and see what you are doing...great to hear from you! :ear
  5. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    May 15-19, if it turns out to be the same weekend as last time.
  6. WVMTS

WVMTS Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer:
    Awesome report Aarrff. Rolling the dice eating at the Pinnacle. Glad you're still around.:lol3
  7. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    I still pass thru your great area once in a while! :D How be you? They had a meatloaf special but one thing I never eat on the road is meatloaf cause I never know what's in it.....well....never eat it at home either cause then I do know what's in it. :lol3 That Pinnacle burger was OK and the little gal gave us prompt service with a smile so thar you go!
  8. WVMTS

WVMTS Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I used to work in that area at one time for a trail project. We would eat there when we were in town. The Pinnacle burger wasn't bad. Sometimes the after effects wouldn't be worth it though.:topesI have ridden in your neck of the woods. Beautiful country you have there. I'll be planning a trip probably in the fall and hopefully wrap around the Smokys again. Love the Cherohala Skyway!
  9. halflife

halflife ride 2 live

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Aarrffin'. Keep up the GREAT work on this!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I'm just N of Atlanta and mostly play in the N Ga mtns, but lately had my eye on the eastern TN/western NC area, generally south of the Cherohala. I'm hoping to pick your brain on a few sites/roads you may have experience with... (if this is a hijack, just say so and I’ll gladly PM or make other arrangements).<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Waucheesi Mtn lookout (about 4-5 miles west of the lake you found off Green Cove) - have you ridden up this? Is the road manageable on a loaded KLR with an average skill rider?
    <o:p></o:p>
    On other rides I may have a couple weeStroms in my group with limited off road experience and street tires. Are Buck Bald (off TN 68) and Wesser Bald, and Wayah Bald tame enough for them and/or worth the trip?<o:p></o:p>
    As you can tell, I LOVE me some views. Those backyard pics of yours look awesome - must be a fun ride “up” to get home! <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks again for your RR. :clap
  10. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Great thread, this is the stuff that sucks so bad I spend hours looking at it.:wink:
    Those roads look Aarrffly familiar. Still have family in Tazewell County,VA and "Momanem" were born in McDowell County WV in a coal town named Pageton, just down the road from Welch.
    Thanks for posting, its ride reports like yours that inspired me to start a thread too.
  11. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    .. always enjoy your posts .. good stuff this .. thanks for sharing and I look forward to more ..

Ride Blessed ..
  12. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Give a holler or a PM when your headin' this way and maybe can roll the dice on a spot to eat :lol3

No way is this a hi-jack! This is why I did this to share! Maybe I can tell you something and I learn in the process too. Regarding your notes: I'll get one of my buds (_anatic) to look at this as he might know about Waucheesi as I have not been on it in a long time. He is busy tomorrow selling burgers for his fire dept but check back here in a day or two to see what he might have for you. By Wesser Bald, I assume you mean to ride the Tellico Road ( not Tellico Plains Tn) from Burningtown off highway 28 over the mountain where the AT crosses then over to Wayah Road. If you can catch this on a damp day to help settle the gravel. There are steep sharp switch backs which can be challenging for newer riders on gravel. I was up there a few months ago and the switchbacks had large "washboards" that would almost bottom out my GS had I not dialed up the off road mode with my computer. Inexperience and street tires might make this one not much fun and the scenery is Ok but not one of my favorites...I ride this one just for the fun of gravel but it may not be fun at all for a beginner on a loaded bike.

Wayah Bald is a must see, the road is simple gravel, about 6miles from the gap on Wayah as I remember, the first pic in this thread is me on that tower. Your folks will have a hoot on this one. Just keep it slow in the blind curves as there could be some traffic on weekends. Weekdays it pretty quiet.

Sorry I can't tell you about buck Bald but maybe someone can chime in with info as that is fine with me. Meanwhile, I will see what I can find out and PM you, etc.

Your newer riders would enjoy Max Patch Road and the Bald at MaxPatch. Several ways to get there on gravel off 209 between Hot Springs and Waynesville. You can go in from Fines Creek andride the entire road which ends up on 25-70 in TN or ride 209 down to Trust and Spring Creek and pick up Meadow Fork or Little Creek to Max Patch Road.

The view of I-40 in my thread is off Buzzard Roost Road which is between I 40 and Mt. Sterling. Easy gravel and PM me if you need info on how to find that as it is not a marked overlook.

If you like the Cherohala,the road I took down to Green Cove in this thread is easy but with the newer folks,go out toward Tellico Plains, Tn

Any other thoughts, feel free to check back by and ask or PM me either way is fine and thanks for stopping by!
  13. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Good deal. I have been prowling around in these mountains since I was a kid back in the late 1950's and early 60's on dirt bikes and there has never been a way to share this stuff with people like this site. Baldy sure has a good one here and I hope we can always keep it! I love to read the other threads of inmates and I am hoping to spend more time traveling in the western states and I'll throw in a thread under "ride reports' when I head out that way again. Thanks Steve!

Hey bud! I see you been active some in the NCTOR. Thanks for checking in on me and it makes me feel good to know that others enjoy my Aarrffin around! You ride Blessed as well my friend!
  14. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    Nice pics Ed, thanks for sharing. I want to head up to the hills again this summer for a few days. I will need a tour guide so I can find my way back east of I-77. Can I count on you for that job? :D

<>< Fish
  15. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Hey Fish! Really enjoyed meeting you last year and ridin'. I try to check this thread about every day but it might be best to PM me when you make plans to head this way and as long as I don't have any previous commitments or scheduled appearances ( :lol3 ) I would like to get out for another run trough the mountains. Give me an idea what you would like and we'll do it! Good to hear from you and thanks for checking by here too!
  16. WVMTS

WVMTS Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer:
    Will do. Thank you kind sir!
  17. _anatic

_anatic Plated

Oddometer:
    Hey halflife :wave
    Never been to Waucheesi Mtn or Buck Bald. I think you have to hike to Wesser from Tellico Road. It's not a long walk but I think the FS gate stays closed. An like Aarrff said, Wayah is easy an well worth the trip!

Sorry, not much help, that is a little far west for me. PM JoeWannaB, he can definitely put you on some KLR friendly stuff. Examples here.
  18. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Good idea, PMin' Joe...
  19. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went up Buck Bald a few weeks ago. We took some single track part way up and then easy (very easy) FS road the rest of the way up and all the way back to 68. It's a nice view and worth the ride. There are many easy rides in the area with great views. I'd recommend Tatham Gap although as the following pics show, only hardcore DS bikes recommended:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also recommend Rainbow Springs rd between Wayah rd and 64. Needmore rd which runs from 19/28 to Tellico rd runs right along the river and would be great for dirt noobs on wee's.
  20. Aarrff

Aarrff Gravel Grinder

Oddometer:
    Good info for him Klaviator. How are your plans comin' along?