Flat spots on a GS rim

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Rick001, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Rick001

Rick001 Never too old

Oddometer:
    Looks like I may have been riding the R1100GS a little too hard. Found a couple of flats spots on the front rim today. Had a flat tyre whilst riding the other day and couldn't find any reason. Pumped it back up and it's been fine since?

Does anyone know if these flat spots can be easily removed. They are not too bad, but a couple of the spokes are now a bit loose where the flat spots are and I feel that I should do something about it.

Any help on how to get them out would be appreciated?
  2. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    It is not easy to remove the flat spots from a motorcycle rim.

I have seen it done with a block of wood and a hammer on a jig with spokes removed above the dent, but the old bastard that did it was about 120 years old and had quite a touch. It's too easy to come in with a broken arm and wind up needing a heart transplant if you're not careful.

Here we have Woody's Wheel Works. At the least you could ask him advice. He's a helpful fellow and an inmate here. Of course you could always send him the wheel, but it'd be quite a journey. He has a thread here in the 'garage' forum I think.

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

here, I also found JTR wheel building service in Brisbane. Have a jaffle and a VB while you're there.

http://www.jtr.com.au/wheel_building_services/index.htm

If you have any questions or queries about JTR's wheel building services you can contact JTR on 07 3245 7499 or send an email to workshop@jtr.com.au.

51 Neumann Rd Capalaba Brisbane QLD Australia 4157
    ABN: 78 010 441 782

In fact JTR is one of the only Talon distributors worldwide who carry out all Talon wheel assembly in house, rather than purchasing complete wheels from Talon. At JTR our team of Talon trained wheel builders can assemble your new Talon wheel set, we also offer a full wheel building service, where we can fit new rims to your old "original oem" wheels or repair and re-true any kind of motorcycle wheels you may wish us to fix, wheels are our specialty.
  3. Rick001

Rick001 Never too old

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. will get in touch with them soon.
  4. DocW

DocW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Having had the same problem, I found that it is near impossible to repair a BMW rim in Australia...the proprietary BMW spoke arrangement means almost no one (aside from Woody the magician in America perhaps!) can repair them. The most cost effective option for me was to buy an aftermarket rim, with a more standard spoke arrangement, that will allow future repairs like any standard spoked wheel.

For my 2c, I'd highly recommend Ash of Ash's Spoked Wheels near Albion. He's an expert in his field and did a great job for me.

http://www.spoked-wheels-brisbane.com.au/

* Disclaimer: No affiliation other than being a satisfied customer *

Cheers,

Doc.
  5. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in sydney and was up against similar in that even the BMW dealer could point me to NO-ONE to repair the bmw spoked wheel. The only people i could find to sort it was Aldertons in smithfield sydney, ph02 96092889. Even by their own admission the outboard spoke design is extremely difficult to true and they dont guarantee 100% return to normalcy, but did my wheel o.k. good luck and good hunting.:*sip*
  6. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    Are you still running tubeless with that aftermarket rim?
  7. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Don`t worry about them. The front rim on my 1100GS ended up looking like a 50cent piece after a trip to the NT a couple of years ago, and doesn`t appear to have affected handling. Plus, they give a certain amount of street cred.

Howerver, if you`re desperate to spend money, Ray Peake can supply aftermarket rims, and rebuild the wheel.
    07 5543 5962
  8. DocW

DocW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, but I do believe it's an option (cost a bit more to seal it). For me, I was happy to have a tube and have a wheel that can be repaired by anyone, anywhere, who can repair normal spoked wheels.
  9. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey i feel your pain regarding having stuff that is esoteric and no one local to fix it...

the solution of course is to switch the lacing from X-lace to conventional,,,

this is accomplished by several techniques
    1,,drilling out a set of nipples to be used as an adapter for filling the old nipple hole to smaller diameter spokes,,,this system routinely loosens up because of seating issues and the spoke bend being too far away with no support..

2,, the buchanan technique of making special double threaded spokes and threading in the hub nipple first,,,have re-done several because of the tendency of spokes snapping at the bend right where the threads end...the weakest part of a spoke

3,,the bullet proof special Monzter spoke kit,,essentially a swedged 4gx.175 spoke custom speced to fill the hole,,,
    looks like this:
    http://photos.woodyswheelworks.com/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=23

of late we have been sending superlace kits as well as tire sealing kits to folks in far off lands,,to minimize S&H expenses....your local wheel wizards should have no problem lacing/truing these set-ups,,,we charge a lil extra for blue printing the rims

hope this helps

for more details ask these questions in the special ''ask woody about oyur wheels ''thread in the vendor section.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

if you are spending so much time in the dirt and happen to ride hard enought o bend your oem rims,,perhaps consider going with a 21'' while you are at it,,tremendous improvement,,quite a few mates have converted...
    w