NEW Baja Trip Dec 28 to Dec 31 2007

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by beechum1, Dec 14, 2007.

1. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Here we are over here so i can update the OP with the info and get some names down. chime in if you're solid or soft for the trip.

I am Jeremy Brown. I have GPS without maps. I speak Spanish very well
    Cell phone that works in MX and Nextel I.C.E (in case of emergency).... 2FRS radios. Chatterboxes are on the same freqs as FRS.
    I live in TJ have house with plenty of room for staging area for those interested. We can park cars either in my garage or at the companies' shop. We can also park @ the office in Chula Vista, very nice neighborhood if you don't want to take car to TJ either. it appears I've taken over organization for the few who have stuck with us. I have friends and family in TJ and friends of friends in ensenada I.C.E. I have a 6 gal tank, and there are gas stations located in areas along the way, fuel shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT 1420 16Dec2007**Possibly meeting everyone on the morn of 28th, throw everything in the back of the chase truck, and roll from there. I just talked scott and they're planning on doing some dirt stuff as well along the route, so that will satisfy my itch.**
    EDIT 2340 17Dec2007**Talking to Scott#1, he has a list of campgrounds with showers, hot water, etc. Add camping gear to the mix if that's your thing. Seems to me, keep the packing down to about 10ft^3. we'll need to make sure we have room in the truck in case of breakdown.

Tentative route.
    Day 1. 28 Dec. Leave Staging Area.
    Go to La Presa Tijuana (the dam). there is a trail that goes from TJ all the way to cantamar and further i suspect. In cantamar I have access to the hills just above with some easy to difficult riding. wear ourselves out there then head to ensenada. Stay somewhere down there (I have cable lock for 2-3 bikes). Here we'll meet up with Scott and his crew#2 and the chase truck. EDIT.** I recommend packing camping (if desired) and wet and cold weather gear (if desired) to be carried by the chase truck after we meet in Ensenada. Fuel shouldn't be an issue, I have a 6 gal tank and a 1qt reserve handlebar mount fuel res and use half of it to do trail riding, there's also a gas station at the bottom of the hill in cantamar. shouldn't be a prob. Bring your knobbies for day 1. likely street tires for every day after according to what's panning out.

Night 1. Meet up with Scott of group 2 in Ensenada. hang out. hotel if desired, or camp if desired. meet up the following morning and continue the adventure.

Day 2. 29 Dec. Leave Ensenada, go to mikes sky ranch. play

Day 3. 30 Dec. Leave Mike's for either San Felipe or Mexicali or Tecate (suggestions welcome).

Day 4. 31 Dec. Return to Staging area for repacking and dismissal or hang out for grilling and what not. For those interested, i have some local downtown hangouts where the girls are friendly. (suggestions welcome again).

LIST:

Crew#1
    Jeremy (me) 99%
    Travis 50%
    Nugget 99%
    CDUB 90%
    silver04rs 50%

Crew#2
    Scott(me) 100%
    BigScott 100%
    Matt 99%
    Lee(my dad) 100%

I can appreciate the allure of spontaneity, and as a former marine, i appreciate accountability. I would suggest only that we have depart times in the mornings. check in times if we split into groups, and final destinations. other than that, let's enjoy our own pace. but I don't want to live with any costly mistakes.

updated 2340 17Dec2007
  2. silver04rs

silver04rs Stupid N0OB!!111

Oddometer:
    I only have about 100 mile range for fuel.... sounds like most everyone going was planing on riding big bikes... am I going to be OK wioth this range or should I start looking at some options for carying more fuel

Travis.... and Im still soft :evil
  3. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    Cleate Rose 06 te 610 five gallon tank + 2 quarts. Will adjust days off to cover the 31st. Live about a 100 miles from TJ, would rather not take truck across, so I'll ride in to san d or Beechams the night before. :ricky

Never been to Baja on a bike, but I hear more gas is always better. The cheap way is to put gas in a four qt oil bottle. My five gal is relatively easy to tap in a pinch.
  4. hahmule

Oddometer:
    silver-you may want to check into an Austrailian company, type "liquid containment" into your web browser and click on fuel bladders. Thought about ordering one myself, but never followed through with it. :nod
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    i'm talking to scott, the guys that are going to have the chase truck. if we can work it out, the fule issue may be a non issue. i'm still working on making sure that hooking up is going to work and that everyone will be ok with that. i don't want to be a leech, but if all works out, our supplies logistics will be taken care of.
  6. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,
    Scott here, my dad is bringing his Taco. and Im sure there will be room for one more 5gal gas can. My buddy matt is bringing his XR400 and cant imagine his range will be more than 100 miles or so. Thats why we will have extra fuel in the contact truck! Come along and dont worry about it! Hopefully we can all meet in Ensenada the evening of the 28th. I got a pm from a fellow rider username SCQTT. He gave me a few ideas for good restaurants in Ensenada. Ill see which ones they were and post them later. Hey Jeremy give me a call when you get a chance and well try to make some more plans.
    Scott
  7. beechum1

Oddometer:
    OP EDIT

EDIT 1420 16Dec2007**Possibly meeting everyone on the morn of 28th, throw everything in the back of the chase truck, and roll from there. I just talked scott and they're planning on doing some dirt stuff as well along the route, so that will satisfy my itch.**

EDIT.** I recommend packing camping (if desired) and wet and cold weather gear (if desired) to be carried by the chase truck after (or before possibly) we meet in Ensenada.**
  8. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    I think we could stop by Beechum1's place and load some things in the back of the Tacoma. Or meet in Chula Vista at his office.BigScott,Matt, Lee(my dad) and I will plan on leaving from my house the morning of the 28th. We will be leaving from Carlsbad and it should take us an hour or so to make it to TJ. We will need to stop off and buy Mex. Insurance and top off w/ fuel. Most likely in San Yisidro.
    Jeremy, can you suggest a place to get good mex.insurance? I like the idea of riding off road on some trails on our way down to Ensenada.

Scott(me) 100%
    BigScott 100%
    Matt 99%
    Lee(my dad) 100%

The only change I would make to Beechum1s schedule is to go from ensenada to San Felipe then to Mikes Sky Ranch. I really want to ride route3 up and over the mountains to the 5 then down into San Felipe.
    Hope this is not a problem. If any of you have any concerns or see this being a problem please chime in.
    Thanks
  9. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I'm unclear as to where the meeting point is. :dunno Will likely stay in the san D area for the night of the 27th so I can get an early start the following am.
  10. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    nugget, maybe you can coordinate with beechum1. Group #2 will be pulling together and leaving Carlsbad as soon as my dad shows up. Hes driving from Colorado and the weather will dictate how long it takes to get here. I am hoping he'll be here the evening of the 27th. then we can meet up with group #1. We still have a few days to plan. We'll just keep in touch
    Scott
  11. beechum1

Oddometer:
    nugget, i offered my place as a rally point. as stated, i have room to crash to get up the next morning start the bikes, get gas if necessary and roll... since i'm already in TJ, we can just get on the road and hit it. i offer that to everyone. Your choice of course. once we get closer to the day, if noone is staying at my place, we'll designate a meeting point either in TJ or SD, whatever is easiest for everyone, and we'll get if figured out a few days before. that's an easy last minute detail. I'm more worried about routing right now.
  12. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    It is looking like I might be able to do this thing, so I'd say I'm prolly about 90%.

One question though, should I leave my 60% worn scorpions on my 950A or put on the knobbies?
  13. beechum1

Oddometer:
    hey guys, i'm out i think. i'm down to 1% in. I just took the bike in cause it was running rough, and there's a leak exhaust valve and the bike isn't running worth a damn. anyone local wanna help? how many six packs would that take? I gotta quote US side of about 1k$, so i'm going to take it to my TJ mechanic see if he has time and if he comes in @ a decent price.

rally point and staging and overnight sleeping are still offered.
  14. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    Sorry bout your bad luck, hope you can get it fixed real soon. If any of the guys still want to meet up in Ensenada let me know. Too bad its so close to the holidays, money is tight.
    Scott
  15. beechum1

Oddometer:
    np, i'll get it fixed, just how quick is the Q.
  16. hahmule

Oddometer:
    I reserved a room in San Ysidro the night of the 27th. I suppose I could ride across to ensanada the morning of the 28th?:ear
  17. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    Not sure I follow, whats the Q? Nugget if you want we can meet in San Ysidro and ride over the boarder together. Thats where we will be stopping to get Mex. insurance and fuel. Let me know.
    Scott
  18. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I'm 100% out. not going to get the bike fixed in time. scott has my #'s if anyone needs ICE. i have a van that can fit one bike and one injured person, another van for a few bikes if necessary. have agood trip guys, post pics when you get back.
  19. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    :dunno Is this trip still alive?
  20. STate

STate Boot

Oddometer:
    This is Scott, from group #2 and we are on 100%! My dad will be here this evening and we are leaving out tomorrow morning to meet Nugget in San Yisidro. Come along if you want, call me so we can meet up! 916 847 3811