Apc 2013

Discussion in 'Australia' started by xrxtz, Aug 18, 2012.

1. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only 10 months to go
  2. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to see that you are keen xrxtz ! Which bike?

I have a rain check from Homer to do the 2103 event. On medical advice I had to DNS the recent APC rally.
    The medical consultant looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked if it would be prudent to ride this year's event.
    I had to ask!

I am hoping to have the pins out of my leg before the end of the year and then start getting bike fit.

My DRZ400 is ready to go. A mate and I plan to do the high country 4 day event in February as a trial/shake down.

Unfortunately the timing for the 14 day event next year doesn't suit his farm schedule, so if I get to the start line for the 14 day event,it will be on my own. No doubt there will be other riders to team up with as the event progresses.
  3. Not for Highway Use

Not for Highway Use Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo third poster!
    Hopefully I'll come this time around. Enough dreaming, time to put up or shut up.
    Mmmm DRZ or the Wee?????
  4. nry

nry .

Oddometer:
    Hi again xrman,

Fear not about starting on your own , I wouldn't hesitate to front up on my lonesome, all the guys who left wisemans solo quickly absorbed into the mix and were welcomed, I started with two others and due to unfolding events with the bike ended up riding about a quarter of the event on my own during the day but catching up with other guys in the evening. I actually think the whole thing was better for it.
    You might want to talk to your ortho re the metalwork. I know if I take mine out I'm at risk from spiral fractures for a year, which is why they are still in 5 years later.

Neil.
  5. lfh@qld

lfh@qld Poacha

Oddometer:
    Completed 2012 on the Dr 650. No problems at all,except too much gear.2013 will be on the Drz400 traviling ultra light and pubbing it all the way,tools tubes water and change of cloths.cruising speed 90-100 but will be better in the Victorian leg.will be interesting to see how many starters next year?.We had no problem with accommodation at any stage this trip
  6. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    Now this is a thread about the Australian APC 2013 not the USA APC 2013, correct?

I'm planning on making it but starting a new business at the moment so may be completely snowed under still in May.

Do we have the approximate towns yet?
  7. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was expecting that would probably happen just by finding someone who rides at a similar pace and teaming up for convenience and mutual support.

I did the spiral fracture last time ( 6 bits ) but they told me that if I damaged the leg again with metal in place, there is a much higher risk of infection along the metal nail. I get information in "drip feed" format at the Alfred Hospital, mostly from trainee orthopods at the review visits. Bloody frustrating not getting the big picture. I will ask them about your advice next month NRY.

IFH do you mean "Pubbing" it or is there something more short and curly you have in mind????

Rossco all I know is Benambra and Bathurst so far.

NFHU you obviously like your WeeStrom. I am considering trading my WRF290 on one so that I really do retire from trail riding. Having the WRF looking at me in the shed makes me tempted to take it out for a spin. I really don't like getting older but no wiser. If the high country hasn't changed since my last ride, The DR would seem like the logical choice. The extra 50 kg of the wee might catch you out in the tight stuff.
  8. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    John put some details in a email recently
    1.Wisemans ferry NSW
    2.Wodonga VIC
    3.Dayboro QLd
    4.Glen Innes NSW
    Flinders and the Simpson are still in
    The other start locations are yet TBA
  9. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    I might chime in with a bit more advise to Andy's thoughts about problems that happen with the body
    I got all the way though the 14 days without my back playing up to much but two days after I was back I struggled to walk. Mechanically my back survived ok but I had tight shoulder/back and calf muscles that all connect to the lower back/hip and this tension is still causing pain in my lower back. Back in for more remedial massage next week.
    All I can say is that if I had of done more physical prep before hand I would have been better off. Maybe even some back stretches in the morning like tony was doing to annoy Andy;)
  10. kipo

kipo South Australian Tiger Resistance Group

Oddometer:
    Shit, good luck with that XRman, are you doing it on a Gopher ?
  11. Oz-Strom

Oz-Strom Still trying

Oddometer:
    I too have a "bad back", but I did do some body strengthening and fitness training before the ride which I believe paid dividends. I did do some basic stretches each morning as well. However by day 13 I was getting some lower back pain and muscle spasms, causing me to skip one rough section. Took some Voltaren and I was pretty OK the next day, so was able to carry on to finish. Straight to the chiro on getting home, and all is good again.
  12. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Having done this rally you really get a insight into just how much goes into a multi day event and the toll it takes on equipment and body. To do this like one of the fast guys or riding in the safari or even bigger, the Dakar, one could only imagine how fit and strong you would need to be.
    Even with the minor damage to bike and equipment and myself, I'm so freekin glad I did the rally.
    I am still thinking and talking about the ride as much as I did before hand.
    I will post up some more of my observations as I get time to
    [​IMG]
  13. mytmav

mytmav bike & fourby junky

Oddometer:
    Re damage to your body, last year I fractured L4 and L5 in my back and my back was fine for the ride, my hands however have suffered some nerve damage and are still really painful after 1 week off the bike, I ran the ktm heated grips which are really quite hard and large which I think caused most of my pains, next year if I do it I think a set of foam rally grips might be the go.
    My fitness regime for the rally was next to non existant and i would definately recommend doing at least some stretching and aerobic exercise and more importantly more time on the bike leading up to the rally
  14. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Funly enough if I touch something in a curtain spot with my fingers I feel it in a nerve sensation right up my hand into my wrist. Getting better though.
    My sore wrist was pretty right by next day, not that I was on the bike.
  15. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Try taking anti inflammatories for a few days; Aldi have them for $1.99 a pack. My pelvis gets pulled out of line due to muscles tensing up to support a stuffed lower back. It works for me.
  16. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I saw somewhere Dargo was a starting point in Vic too.
  17. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:

EDIT: Details removed.

Ross this thread is NOT the place for the rally business side of things:deal

It is only for inmate chat about bike, equipment, and personal preparation and for past participants to share info.
    Rally info and details need to be sought through the rally owners website.

Spam/Marketing and posting rally details by Proxy will not be allowed.
    If it's to hard to comprehend or starts to become too much of a time suck we will close it.
  18. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    OOPS my typing is poor. I kan spall i just kant typ.

I could do the 2103 event in the grey beards class:lol3 The gopher would be an appropriate choice Kipo. I bet you wish you had one after the Pony Express event.
  19. damo2010

damo2010 damo

Oddometer:
    Yer I was taking neurfin during the event as required but I did need some hands on work, just wish I got more hands on relaxation at home.
    I've never really being that much into massage but age is catching up on me.
    I know the changes to my riding position helped, bars raised 40mm and moved forward about 15mm and lower footpaths by about 15mm. Catch is I did not adjust my brake lever which help cook my brake. LOL I never seem to get everything just right.
  20. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Also, keep your fluid intake up while you are hurting. Your body may be dehydrated to some degree, so splashing a bit of water etc through your body can only do you good.