Stator rewind...anybody ????

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jjustj, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    need my gas gas stator rewound.. anybody know of shops that do it??? Tried Ricky Stator from back of bike mags :( no luck. Small reliable electrical shop?? Had a hot lead of guy in GJ ( schoop eneterprises) sp?
    but the numbers been disconected..
    thanks!:ear

Rocky mtn region preferred!
  2. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Steamboat Dave does outstanding work. :evil
  3. LostAussie

LostAussie Growing Old, Not Up!

Oddometer:
    Is is a pretty easy do it yourself project. I did one for one of my DR305's and it works well. Of course I had to call Stmboat Dave a few times for help!
  4. LostAussie

Oddometer:
    I unwound as much of the stator wire as possible and then used a dremmel and a pick to remove the parts that would not unwind.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Steamboat Dave, I found the #18 magnet wire at Mountain States Electronics 2107 S College Ave, Fort Collins 970-484-1044 for about $18 and the high temp epoxy and Wal-Mart for $1.97.

[​IMG]

My winding job isn't very smooth. A little practice would probably help a lot. I wound two more posts than what it had originally. Be sure to wind one post clockwise and then the next counter-clockwise and the next one clockwise, etc. Look closely at how the wires run before taking off the old wire and it is pretty straight forward.

[​IMG]

After winding I coated the coils with the high-temp epoxy and let it dry.

[​IMG]

Then I connected the ends of the wire to the same place that the old wires connected.

[​IMG]

When it was re-installed the lights worked!:clap
  5. Spat

Spat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost Aussie, out of curiosity how long did it take to clean and rewind?
  6. LostAussie

Oddometer:
    It took about two hours to remove the old wire and replace it. I let the epoxy dry over night but didn't really need to leave it that long. The total working time from beginning the removal to completion of the re-installation was less than four hours. That includes the phone time to ask Steamboat Dave questions!
  7. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    do all bikes use same gauge wire?:ear
  8. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    My Scorpa stator needs rewound let me know how your rewind goes:ear
  9. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Notice on Aussie's pictures that there are two different types of windings. The bright copper wire he added is for the lighting coils. The large, dark winding is for the ignition. He isn't messing at all with the ignition winding.

Lighting coils are designed to give high amperage with relative low voltage. Whatever voltage the lighting coils put out, the regulator will limit it to 13-14 volts anyway. The higher amperage requires a heavier gauge wire or the heat generated will cause the coils to melt and short out. Fewer windings produce a lower voltage but allows for a higher amperage.

The ignition coil, on the other hand, has to generate a very high voltage to create the spark. It doesn't require much amperage at all (think the spark from static electricity). The ignition winding has many, many windings which produce a high voltage but the wire is a very light gauge because there isn't much amperage.

So, to answer your question justj - no, all stators don't use the same size wire. It depends on whether you're talking lighting or ignition and it depends on how many poles you have available.
  10. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a ton of XR650R guys that have rewound their stators and posted about it. Actually, I just gathered the last bits today to start my stator rewind. From all the reading I've done, it's looks pretty simple. Do a quick google search on "stator rewind" and let the reading begin. It looks pretty simple...I guess I'll find out soon.:wink:
  11. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    Take lots of pictures
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :clap

13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:

Why? Is your electric seat not warm enough? :ksteve
  14. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Question: So you added two more poles of wind...
    any idea how many winds were on each pole before vs. now?
    any idea of what your stators output was versus what it is now? :lurk
  15. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:

send donkeys to college...
    :thwak
    No its the heated grips and power for my widdervest.
  16. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I've rewound the ignition portion of my DR650s stator. Before I did it I started a thread in "garage" and did some research. A lot of folks helped out by posting up some good links etc. most of it deals with the charging portion of the stator, which it sounds like what you are interested in anyway. There is also info on places to send one out to have it rewound.

without further ado....CLICK HERE if you care to look through that thread.

Best of Luck....it really isn't too hard.
    :wave
  17. LostAussie

Oddometer:

There were 91 winds of a smaller diameter wire per post before and I put 71 winds of the #18 per post which was all that would fit. I did two more posts so that the total number of winds would at least equal what was there before. (91 winds X 5 Posts = 455 winds, 71 winds X 7 Posts = 497 winds)

The output before I started was nothing at all. The old wires were burned through. I have not checked the output since the rewind. The lights come on and that is all that matters on this bike.

The goal was not to increase the output beyond OEM but to simply repair a broken system with a heavier wire that will not burn through. This bike only has headlight, taillight and brakelight so no extra is needed. I also didn't want to change anything else in the electrical system due to higher output.

My next project will be a KLR rewind and that will be for increased output. It would be nice to be able to use the headlight and both driving lights without the battery going down!
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I seem to recall something about the way you wind it effecting when it generates the electricity - i.e. at how many RPMs...

Any fact to this?
  19. LostAussie

Oddometer:
    Here is a thread by someone who knows a lot more about this than me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189734
  20. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer: