Sachs MadAss 125cc

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well now that they're finally here it's time to start a thread dedicated to the US-Edition 125cc Sachs MadAss.

I'm not affiliated with any dealer or shop, just an owner of a 2006 49cc MadAss who's excited that these are finally available here again after 3 years.

Today I visited Moto-scoot in Milwaukee to check out the freshly arrived 125s. Due to rainy weather I didn't get to ride one, but checked it out in detail and took photos.

There are a LOT of upgrades over my already impressively equipped 2006 49cc model (the only model and year sold in the US until now). This is by no means a complete list, but some of the changes I noticed:
    - better seat (which I've already upgraded)
    - new controls: look to be better weather protected, more ergonomically laid out, and all move with more satisfying actions (really wish mine had auto cancelling turn-signals like these).
    - Thottle action is now very precise, with thicker cable and heavier duty elbows
    - gorgeous stainless steel exhaust instead of nice carbon steel on mine
    - don't have a complete list, but a bunch of the hardware is larger size/diameter. Larger front axle and bearings.
    - tires are now tubeless, better spec (16" takes same tires as Ninja 250 so lots of choices)
    - swept up handlbars (replaced the straight ones on my 2006, now don't have to)
    - heavier chain than the 49cc
    - brake pedal now uses harder (brass?) bushings in pivot, so it's tighter feeling with no slop like my 2006.
    - kickstand redesigned to stay in down position better (my 2006 dumped over when the I bumped it forward about an inch..)

I can edit this list as more upgrades/changes are confirmed.
    It's clear that Sachs listened to riders, and took an already very well designed bike and made it better/faster/stronger in many ways.

On to the pics, with test ride report to follow.
    cheers

short video (it doesn't have to be ridden like this, part throttle riding is smooth).

NOTE: please wear a helmet. A crash at these or even much lower speeds would not be pretty.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/v/vid180.photobucket.com_albums_x155_kedelbach_MadAss_125ccMAtestvid2_0001.flv">

putting together some of the very first 125cc MadAsses in the USA:

[​IMG]

better controls, heavier duty mirrors (though I suspect there would still give a great view of my shoulders, which is why I put on convex bar-end mirrors from a mountain bike store - essential safety upgrade IMO). Adjustable clutch lever. Same massive triple clamp design. Heavier duty brake line. Smaller locking gas cap. Check out the hardware - all are zinc plated, all structural joints use allen headed capscrews:

[​IMG]

swingarm, disc brakes, "Graphite" frame/fender color, spiffy polished aluminum ring on rims, pillion foot pegs same sturdy design as 2006, easy to adjust chain tension:

[​IMG]

SS exhaust, shock, rear brake reservoir, seat frame, matte black frame/fender color:
    [​IMG]

same excellent welds as my 2006:
    [​IMG]

adjustable rear shock, note light metallic "Graphite" color of fender, frame:
    [​IMG]

snorkel:
    [​IMG]

Yellow w/ all black rims:

[​IMG]

Graphite outside:

[​IMG]

beefy chain:

[​IMG]

rear disc brake:

[​IMG]

Fly-by:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some other MA's at Moto-scoot:

BigMadAss 160:

[​IMG]

trunk:

[​IMG]

A Moto-Scoot experimental MadAss (MadAssX?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my 2006 88cc MA:

[​IMG]

MadDogg:
    [​IMG]

post your ride-reports, pics, info, etc here!
  2. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    very cool pictorial, those madasses are starting to grow on me. :evil
  3. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    Man they look cool.

I wish I had a use for one.
  4. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rocking
  5. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you like them. As I see it they do everything a tradional 'scooter' does, with a trade off maybe of a little ride comfort (though it's by no means uncomfortable, some scooters do have lazy-boy type saddles) for sharper handling, bigger wheels and brakes, sturdier construction, and modern/industrial looks.
    So if you have no 'use' for a scooter you'll have no use for a MadAss, but you can still want one :)
  6. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks. What is the top speed?
  7. OrRogue1

OrRogue1 Did I soil myself?

Oddometer:
    I don't own one, but have been researching them for awhile. I understand they do 50-55 mph. Maybe an owner will chime in and confirm or deny.....
  8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    we should get an answer soon on this, but my 88cc MadAss with 14T front/stock rear sprocket (37T?) can touch 50mph (indicated, haven't confirmed with GPS) with a gentle tailwind, so I'd be shocked if the 125cc couldn't do significantly more.
  9. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive got an 06 with a 110cc Lifan motor. I got it up to 46mph with a 16 tooth on the front sprocket. Im 230 lbs and Im sure a lighter person could squeeze 50mph out of it. Ive got it posted for sale in the classifieds.

[​IMG]
  10. OrRogue1

Oddometer:
    I think the fact that alot of riders replaced or hopped up the 50 tells us that one was underpowered. I saw one used one at a dealer, and before I could ask anything he said "you don't want it-can't get out of it's own way".
    I think he's asking about the 125. I suspect the 125's will be the big seller now-so someone buy one and report back to us-or test ride one and let us know how much better they are!!
  11. OrRogue1

Oddometer:
    Moto-scoot Bill....how about some performance info?? I know you've ridden one by now!! ...and be honest!
  12. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know that Bill will be able to post here since he's a vendor, but if the mods allow it there's no reason to tell Bill to be honest. He is, and anyway soon enough there will be owners posting their own reports.

I'll try to get a test ride this week, but next saturday is the big Moto-Scoot rally
    http://www.moto-scoot.net/events.html

and on August 8th the Rockerbox show
    http://www.myspace.com/rockerboxmilwaukee

so it won't be long before first-hand rider reports pour in.
  13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure underpowered for most, but there's a dude in Milwaukee who's put over 5000miles on his bone stock 49cc MA. Granted he's about 70 years old, but the 50 can and does motivate just fine up to 30ish mph on B-roads and around town.

The 88cc with 4-speed gets up and cruises at 40mph with decent pep, not everybody wants or needs this.
  14. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's surprising - my 88cc w/ 14T is screaming at redline but it will defintely do 46 indicated with my 200lbs on it. I've been seriously tempted to go to 15 or 16T for more relaxed 40ish cruising, since the torque is more than acceptable and 1st/2nd gear are so low.

Are you running a stock pipe? I am, and probably a larger diameter pipe would free up even more power, but so far all I've heard are too loud for my tastes. If the 125cc SS pipe is reasonably priced I'll likely try that.
    cheers
  15. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Im running the stock 50cc pipe and a 16 tooth sprocket. Ive ordered a 17 tooth which be here Tuesday. If I end up not selling it I might be in for the 125 exhaust upgrade.
  16. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah I yours is has an automatic trans, that probably explains it.
    All the 125s at Moto-Scoot were 4-speeds, as is my 88cc.

$1700 for yours seems like a good price, assuming it's in nice overall condition. Good luck with it.
    cheers
  18. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    @Nurburgringer - so the shipment came in last week and Bill was uncrating them?
  20. milwaukeemadass

milwaukeemadass Web Geek

Oddometer:
    I put a deposit down on one of the 125's about three weeks ago at Moto-Scoot, one of the dark gray or "graphite" ones and I've been waiting, impatiently, for them to get here. And it looks like it's finally Christmas in July. :rofl

Hopefully i'll be able to swing by either tonight or tomorrow and pick it up. I'm pretty stoked.