Michael Schumacher in Critical Condition - now first recovery signs reported

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HoneyBunz, Dec 29, 2013.

1. HoneyBunz

HoneyBunz Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! He's a living legend, what a weird way to end it.
    Hope he makes it, fully makes it and not in a vegetable condition.
  3. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It really does not sound good. Hoping he will recover.
  4. Strypes

Strypes I'm on a boat!

Oddometer:
    Terrible...
  5. Alblue

Alblue Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grenoble (France) (AFP) - Michael Schumacher, the retired seven-time Formula One champion, was in a critical condition on Monday after suffering severe brain trauma in a skiing accident in the French Alps, doctors said.
    The German racing legend, who turns 45 on Friday, had been skiing off-piste with his 14-year-old son in the upmarket Meribel resort when he fell and hit his head on a rock.
    He was "suffering a serious brain trauma with coma on his arrival, which required an immediate neurosurgical operation", according to the hospital in the southeastern French city of Grenoble where he is being treated.
    "He remains in a critical condition."
    Shortly after the accident Meribel resort director Christophe Gernigon-Lecomte said Schumacher, who had been wearing a helmet, was "conscious but a little agitated".
    But when Schumacher fell into coma, doctors realised the damage was worse than initially feared.
    Two mountain police officers who gave first aid to Schumacher said he was suffering "severe cranial trauma" when they got to him and a helicopter was brought in to evacuate him within 10 minutes.
    A renowned Parisian neurologist, doctor Gerard Saillant, arrived at the Grenoble hospital in a police car to help take charge of the famous patient.
    Schumacher's wife Corinna was at his side with his two children, the hospital said.
    The hospital statement was signed by the facility's neurosurgeon, the professor in charge of its anaesthesia/revival unit, and the hospital's deputy director.
    Schumacher a 'crazy daredevil'

News of Schumacher's accident stunned the Formula One community and his former teammates joined thousands on Twitter in wishing him a speedy recovery.
    "My thoughts are with Michael Schumacher at this tough time.. Michael more than anyone has the strength to pull through this," tweeted British F1 driver Jenson Button.
    Schumacher's former teammate at Benetton Martin Brundle wrote on Twitter: "Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it."
    He added that the German was "a crazy brave skydiving/bike racing daredevil".
    Brazilian Formula One racing driver Felipe Massa said he was "praying for God to protect you my brother!! I wish you a speedy recovery Michael", the former Ferrari driver wrote.
    The next update on Schumacher's condition would be given at 1000 GMT on Monday, a hospital spokesman said.
    Police kept guard at the hospital's entrances as journalists and fans, some wearing the colours of the Formula One legend's former stable Ferrari, gathered outside awaiting news of his health.
    Police have opened an investigation into the circumstances of the accident, the ski resort said.
    Schumacher, who won the last of his world titles in 2004, definitively retired in 2012 in the Brazilian Grand Prix, in which he finished seventh, after an abandoned attempt to quit six years earlier.
    Since his debut in 1991, the German towered over the sport, winning more Formula One world titles and races than any other. He had a record 91 wins and is one of only two men to reach 300 grands prix.
    Schumacher's duels in his heyday with Damon Hill and Jacques Villeneuve, fired by an unquenchable competitive spirit, have gone down in Formula One lore.
    Schumacher was born in January 1969 near Cologne, Germany, the son of a bricklayer who also ran the local go-kart track, where his mother worked in the canteen.
    By 1987, Schumacher was the German and European go-kart champion and was soon racing professionally. In 1991 he burst into Formula One by qualifying seventh in his debut race in Belgium and a year later he was racing for Benetton, where he won his first Formula One grand prix in 1992.
    After joining Ferrari in 1996, Schumacher achieved infamy by trying to ram Villeneuve off the road at Jerez in the last race of 1997, and was disqualified from the championship as punishment.
    Over the next decade, he went from strength to strength, dominating the podium, before trying to retire the first time aged 37.
    During his retirement he survived an accident that knocked him out when racing a motorbike in Spain.
    That time he was released from hospital after just five hours.
    But the father of two could not resist the lure of the track and in 2010 he signed a three-year deal with Mercedes.
    But slower reflexes and a less competitive car meant Schumacher could not reproduce his former glory and he quit for good in 2012. His helmet had a message for fans: "Life is about passions -- Thank you for sharing mine."
  6. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    wow, just saw it on the morning news. very sad, pray that he recovers. I guess ya just never know what's around the next bend in life.
  7. TripleDaddy

TripleDaddy Hoping my skills exceed my horsepower

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear it. He seems like a class act.
  8. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leave that stuff for another time Garp.
  10. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    As a long time fan, this is a tough one. Imagine all those races, high speeds, close calls only to encounter the most significant life injury while skiing. Seems almost unfair. This morning's presser said that had he not been wearing a helmet, he would not have survived to make it to the hospital. A tough road ahead for the champ. All the best for a full recovery. It won't be easy but he's as determined an individual as can be found.
  11. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope he makes a full recovery but he doesn't there's always NASCAR.
  12. WildAnCrazymtl

WildAnCrazymtl Political Prisoner

Oddometer:
    People's Republik of Kanada, Québec province!
    I am a long time fan, I hope he makes a full recovery.
  13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But not the FIA and their's is the only opinion that counts in such matters. Get well soon, Michael!
  14. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    the guy is clinging to life, and assholes like this come along saying shit like this? wow, no wonder our world is so fucked.
    I don't care if it's my worst enemy, when someone is in the hospital with the chance of dying, that is NOT the time to discuss stupid shit like that.
    what an idiot.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:

Thank you for taking the words out of my mouth.

C'mon Michael, this is NOT NOT NOT your time. Persevere and amaze us once more buddy!
  17. mototifosi

mototifosi What does this one do?

Oddometer:

Thanks for your timely comment and the posting of F1 Doc!
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure. I am a huge fan even when he was with Benz.
  19. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Nice, simplified explanation. Thanks.
  20. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    Prayers sent to Michael and his family.

An amazing race car driver.