1150GSA to 2013 12GS LC

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Johnnyboxer, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, here in the UK - the bike is here and ready to buy/order/ride

I went to the GB launch and saw it, it is very very nice - a quantum leap from the 12GS/GSA (2004-2012) - it looks so much better designed and all the quirky BMW styling cues of ld are there. It has been extremely well finished and makes the older 12 model look very poor in comparison

I sat on it and tried it out and it feels fab

I gonna get to ride it in 1-2 weeks

Interestingly I could have bought one (a TE version) right there at the dealership and collected this week and if I wanted a special order I could have it by April

No waiting

So here's the rub, I have a 2005 1150GSA, owned from new and completely sorted - Ohlins/Twin Corbin seat/MRA screen and perfect for my riding and the bike has been faultless

So after 7 years, do I ditch it, for the new kid on the block and spend a wedge of cash to get the new model??

It's a difficult choice, what would you do?
  2. jhansen

jhansen Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you sat on the new bike, your old one will be jealous and give you a flat tire just before your next ride.....just sayin.
  3. the_menno

the_menno Forever Newb

Oddometer:
    Ride what you love.

If you love the 1150 (I have one as well) then keep it and ride it. If you love the 1200, buy it and ride it. Everyone is different so whatever you decide, decide for yourself and don't let others choose for you as you'll probably end up quite disappointed.
  4. Schlug

Schlug A natural, zesty enterprise.

Oddometer:
    put something on and stay in that position.
    I know the 1200 is a better machine in every measurable area. But I never enjoyed the ride that much and I never wanted one, after my 1150, like yours, is well sorted and a blast to ride. Buying a 1200 was considered for a few seconds then discarded.

But this new watercooled bike? I'm interested, very interested.

and I'll be looking at it very hard.

So I sort of see your point. Of course, actually parting with that sort of dosh may change my mind for me.
  5. I GS 1

I GS 1 I 90S I

Oddometer:
    I also ride a well sorted 1150GS which I absolutely love. I have never had any thoughts of wanting to upgrade to a 1200. That was until I came across the new water cooled one during the New Zealand leg of the "One World. One GS" tour. If I could afford to do the swop right now, I would upgrade without any hesitation. This new bike really excites me!
  6. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're on my wavelength, the old 1200 was a poor effort IMHO

The new water cooled bike, is a stunner and with lovely design touches, which the previous 1200 hasn't got

A test ride will make my mind up
  7. srpuywa

srpuywa Big 'G'

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't buy the first year of any new bike :rofl