PENTON: The John Penton Story

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by youcanrunnaked, Jul 17, 2014.

1. youcanrunnaked

youcanrunnaked Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [Moderator: I could not figure out where this should go. Feel free to move this if there is a more appropriate sub-forum.]

I saw this film last night. It was really good, and I encourage all motorcycle enthusiasts to seek it out.

John Penton was a pioneer in off-road motorcycling, as well as a fascinating individual. The film, which was inspired by the Ed Youngblood book “John Penton and the Off-Road Motorcycle Revolution,” is directed by Todd Huffman and narrated by Lyle Lovett. (Lovett has a connection with Penton motorcycles from his youth, which he explains in the film).

One thing that I learned from the film was John Penton's influence in guiding and encouraging not only his own family and company employees, but the influence that he had in helping other companies in the industry. In addition to pushing KTM from an obscure Austrian scooter maker to an off-road motorcycling powerhouse, he had a hand in the success of such contemporary industry stalwarts as Alpinestars, Thor, and Spectro Oils.

Another cool thing about the film is the way it came about. Initially crowd funded by a campaign on Kickstarter (after a failed first attempt), the film was completed with sponsorship from KTM and many of the other companies that John Penton helped over the course of his career. Also interesting is the way the film is being distributed. It is being screened through Gathr Films, a web-based theatrical on-demand service that sort of works like Groupon. In the case of the showing that I saw, the film's exhibition was sponsored by Miami KTM dealer Palmetto Motorsports. If you can't find the film near you, you might want to see what it would take to have your local motorcycle shop or club sponsor a screening through Gathr.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsDLrdryBfY

Film web site: http://pentonmovie.com/

Gathr web site: http://gathr.us/

Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...y-narrated-by-lyle-lovett-rela?ref=nav_search
  2. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mid Ohio screening - Penton: The John Penton Story another GREAT movie on par with On Any Sunday and The World's Fastest Indian.

The greatest part was that little, if any, of the story was dramatized or writer's license exercised. I wondered if they could do enough with the early portion of the story, but there were films from early riding, usually in the actual events mentioned. Great footage. No garbage. A film you can show your kids, while enjoying it yourself. The story is real and quite amazing in many ways from Penton's parentage to the motorcycle development.

Living in Ohio and being into bikes around the 70s made me aware of the Pentons. My first motorcycle magazine had the steel tank Penton 125 in it - I wanted one! Sold for $595. Then there was the lore of the Penton boys racing the local harescrambles at Mathias Raceway and Singing Wheels for ISDT warm up. The movie tracked a lot of what we heard of back in the day.

Funny part was about Penton helping others... A friend ran the Blackwater 100 and one year was stuck in one of the bogs on his Penton 250. John Penton helped him pushing him out! That's real custome service for you!

This is a must for motorcycle enthusiasts to see this movie. Fact is the final 30 seconds was worth seeing it all!

Makes you want to sell off everything and go buy a KTM just because of John Penton!
  3. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumbup

1973 Six-Day and member of the Penton Owners Group. Wonderful group of people!
  4. portalespeanut

portalespeanut nEARLY nORMAL

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing this.... IF it ever comes to a theatre near here. I'm guessing it'll be out on DVD before that...
  5. deaconjones

deaconjones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After seeing the spot in the film about HghPoint Boots, I remarked on another forum about the need for someone to make and market a replica. Someone came back with "Metro Racing" and the AlpineStars Super Victory boot. Doesn't say HighPoint but looks just like it and with modern buckles.
  6. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    My first real race bike was a 1971 Penton Six Days 125. It was far superior to anything on the grid until Honda introduced the 1974 Elsinore 125 and the Suzy RM 125 after that. My first pair of boots after the linesman phase, was a pair of High Point MX boots. I wish I still had 'em. I'd like to see this film.
  7. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are going to see it tomorrow in Hooksett NH, about 1 hr north of Boston. Some tickets still available.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:

AlpineStar MADE the HiPoint boots - part of the film, but really common knowledge in the 80s.

The new Super Victory is simply an updated verson, although I still think those leather straps with the holes that worked with the stamped steel peg clasp was the simplest and best. Quick and easy to use.
  9. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where in Hookset? Linky?
  10. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imax on Hooksett rd
    Try pentonmovie.com click on see the movie use zip code 03106
  11. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice I just watched the trailer, lots of memories from just watching that clip. Will see the movie for certain.
  12. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw it at a screening here in Orange County. The producer and some other dignitaries were present. Loved the movie. Brought a tear to my more than once. I remember riding my older brother's '73 Six Day all the time as a kid. This bike was a real screamer and he still has it today.

RZ Rob
  13. markk53

Oddometer:
    Made me remember my buddy Ozzie out in the woods on his steel tank 125 Penton...

Bow-ba-bow-bow-bow-ba-bow-- bring-ging-ging-ging-ging-- brrrrinngg-ging-ging-ging -- brip - brip - brip...

Any takers on what that was? :lol3
  14. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw the movie last night with my wife and 15yo daughter, can't believe they wanted to see it with me.
    I thought it was very good, well done, really enjoyed it. I started ridding in the late 60's so I could relate to it. But what surprised me was my wife who is not into motorcycles, had no idea who any of the people were, and who falls asleep at almost all movies stayed awake and enjoyed it. She talked about it and asked questions on the way home.
    Daughter stayed interested for the first hour.
  15. flyrod

flyrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to Pentonmovie.com and it is not showing up in NH. I also went
    to the Imax site for Hooksett and it does not come up as showing.

Is it all done in Hooksett? Shows in Portland, Me. but too far to go. Would
    go to Hooksett but appears to be over?

Tried calling as well but no humans available.

Flyrod
  16. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hooksett is all done, 1 showing only.
  17. flyrod

flyrod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Shakeybone, sorry I missed it.

Flyrod
  18. AlsoRan

AlsoRan PNF

Oddometer:
    Gets it started - running rich (lot's of blue smoke), starts to clean out -- then it cleans out, then quits. Repeat process...:lol3
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming

Oddometer:
    I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Penton at an event at Daytona for the Motorcycle Museum. I had gone to see the unveiling of the EBR 1190rs, and hear the keynote speaker, Erik Buell speak about motorcycling, and the progress and vision of his new company.

Mr. Penton was one of many notable figures in attendance. He was warm and outgoing, and still passionate about motorcycles.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:

Yeah! Ozzie was forever loading that damn thing up... fire it up and hold it wide open till it cleans out. Heaven forbid he get it jetted right, but we were kids 18-19 year old idiots.

One time when I lost the masterlink on my chain out in the boonies, apparently put it on backward, Ozzie pulled me out. He had his arm in one sleeve of his coat (the ubiquitous olive drab Army field jacket) and I held the other. At first he had his right arm in... throttle control issues, switched to left and towed me home. :freaky