Copper Canyon Mexico or Will I come back alive?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by chabon, Mar 27, 2012.

1. bruceo

bruceo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, looks like fun! Check out ridewithgps.com for posting gps tracks...
  2. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks Bruceo, it was fun!

Used dualsportmaps.com to post the tracks, it automatically assigned difficultly levels to the ride based on some algorithm.
  3. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just saw this story today on Borderland Beat. I haven't re-read all the posts so maybe this is old news, but maybe not. It is a story of two Gringo dual sport riders in Copper Canyon area meeting up with a group of drunken Scarios.

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/
  4. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    This is the best trip I've done. Slept in the same spots rode the same roads. Brings back some good times makes me want to saddle up and do it again. Good job youngsters!
  5. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that report also, but after I got back! It would be a little unnerving to have some one shooting at your feet! I think it's just a matter of chance of who you come across.
  6. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, this is a great ride. I think part of it is that not too many people do it so it's still off the beaten tourist path. Best trip I've taken also. I would go back in a heartbeat!
  7. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, piss in your pants unnerving!:eek1

But, that is a story that can be told for a life time. On the other side of the coin, one could be lamenting like Stephen King's main character in his novel 9/22/63 about the lack of adventure in his life. About the closest thing he had ever come to having an adventure was when he and his buddy hitched hiked around Canada after graduation from college (looking for adventure), but those damned Canadians were so nice and helpful that they ruined all sense of adventure. :rofl

Thanks for the very enjoyable ride report. The way you framed the trip and the ensuing discussion was priceless.:clap
  8. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to the source of the puking oil finally. Little $3 seal hidden behind the deepest, hardest to get to, blind bearing!

[​IMG]
    IMGP1445 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

There the little bugger is.

[​IMG]
    IMGP1336 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hope I remember how this goes back together!
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a back up bike, while your getting it sorted out.
    Looks like everything cleaned up nicely.

What is a estimate of hours for this project?
  10. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No backup bike :(:. Lost out on a deal for a DRZ400. Still keeping my eyes open for something between 250-400cc, something Baja friendly, just in case.

Think I have about 12 hours into dropping the engine and dis-assembly. Going slow and have to stop and study the handbook once in a while. Took some time to order parts and borrow some tools, go get a bearing pulled that was stuck, etc, etc.

Still waiting for parts from Germany, 3 weeks for a gasket and bearing. Probably take me another 12-16 to get it all back together. Going to Colorado in July if it still runs!!!
  11. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brad, took another 16 hours to get it back together. I had to repeat some steps so could do it faster if it ever happens again.

I wrote about the process F650.com

http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?26490-Counter-Balance-Shaft-Seal-replacement
  12. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    awesome RR, and thanks for the GPS tracks! copper canyon is on my too doo list. :deal
  13. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Your welcome, glad you enjoyed it. It's on my list to RE-DO!
  14. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Good job...Read the write up. I was dreading the valve adjustment on my 950 but this has given me motivation...
  15. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dear "back to life" came across this while planning my ride next month . GREAT story , pics and loved the added music video , nice touch. Way to GO BIDG, ADV salute to U....:clap
  16. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Glad you enjoyed the report. We're off to Baja next week :evil

Your video was very good (good music also), Have a good trip and get some more video!!!
  17. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    :cry:baldy Man, Brad emailed me last week that they were on the way down, I can't get away until after the first of the year(holidays), then I'm wide open. I so would love to join you guys. Well post plenty pictures for me.
  18. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya, the trip came up faster than I thought it would. Might have to do it again after the first of the year :wink: We'll see if I do a report or not, depends on the photos and events that unfold, stay tuned.....
  19. chabon

chabon Been here awhile

Oddometer:

For those of you that followed this report, I did get a backup bike. A WR250X, same as what Burt and Brad (R) had. Wanted something Baja friendly and this one is! We went to Baja in December

Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848309

And maybe Brads premonition about doing Copper Canyon again will come true. Burt is talking about something coming up..... :evil
  20. 81GSJake

81GSJake Sumdood

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report. I read the whole report this evening. How would you compare your Wolfman bags to the other guys Giant Loop bags?