Cuba March 2013 Trip, 21 Days

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Two Moto Kiwis, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Good morning all

Below is the link to our Ride Report which has our Cuban Trip Report in it starting at post # 976.

We spent a total of 21 days away between getting there and back.

Information we give in the report is current as at 2013 however things are changing all the time.

Feel free to ping us questions on this thread if you want to know anything that we can help you with, note we are not experts but we are wiser than we were four weeks ago :D

It is how we see Cuba and our opinions and experiences are different to others, we have not sugar coated bads things but we have also given props where it is due.

Enjoy the read.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789269&page=66
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd still say on two wheels you will have more fun, just have to go through some little hoops to get it there. Having the bike sets you free almost over the entire island many places a tourist never sees. It's still the most interesting place I've ever ridden my motorbike:deal I didn't even feel like a rock star, I felt like Fidel's son with all the attention I was getting, wild times almost scary. Also the only place I've ridden three up on the bike for a long ways, and I'm not talking carrying a baby either:lol3

One of the only Harley's I saw on the island:
    [​IMG]

A world still locked in a bubble for the most part. Also home of the World's Best Hitchhikers, everybody gets a ride. Was a very good experience to see it from the seat of the bike.

I even camped at Varadero for free just so I could get 90 miles from home:rofl
    [​IMG]
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yeap I would loved to have had Maya there so there is some travel envy going on :D

We wanted to use Cuba as a break off the bike too so it wasn't too bad.
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    So for those who may be interested here are our trips costs split down into how we blew it.

Food $433.00

Accomm $400.00

Bus $244.00

Wine/Booze $74.08

Internet $6.00

Touristy Shit $104.00

Car $271.00

Exit fee $50.00

Medical $108.00

Ellens Togs $26.00

Misc $900.00

Total $1800.00

Flights Cancun - Habana $430 each return including first and last nights accom, transfers from Airport to Habana and back to the airport, buffet breakfasts and VISA fees.

Bank charges were around $100.00 US so fooking expensive to draw money out, actually the dearest money conversion we have ever experienced in all our world travels.

So $2800.00 for 21 days = $133 US / day
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Have you put any info up for the hoops and the costs of the hoops prior?, given our info this may be of use to someone who want to take their scoota over to Cuba ... just a thought. :clap
  6. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Transporting a bike, the cost on Stahlratte is whatever you agree with the captain. We paid under US$800 from Colombia to Cuba and Cuba to Mexico, including loading/unloading, gear storage, and lots of associated logistical planning, drunken conversations, handholding, etc.

Import and licensing fees were around 60CUC. John and I have both posted this information here and elsewhere.

Mark
  7. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    This must have been a while ago as it is $980 just from Panama to Colombia now.
  8. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's bike transport only, price as of February 2013. I didn't sail with the bike on either leg; I flew. John was crew a couple of years ago, more or less; I don't know what he paid or didn't, but the point is if you want to know how much transport costs, you've got to contact the Stahratte.
  9. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Yeah so "mates rates" there which is cool, I was trying to keep the thread more in line with what people would pay without "someone in the know"

We contacted Ludwig and all the prices are quoted on his site.
  10. Nttra

Nttra My english is not very good looking

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

I am planning a trip into Cuba on my 220cc bike... and still gathering all the details. :ear