My 950 left me STRANDED?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Somewhere Far Beyond, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Somewhere Far Beyond

Somewhere Far Beyond The Narrator

Oddometer:
    So I went to start my 06 950 S today. Started up just fine. Went in gear just fine (I have a Rekluse clutch), and then when I put a bit of throttle on.... she made a bit of a kalack-ing type sound and died. Trying to restart.... the starter just spins, no engagement, although on some attempts for a split second it seems like it's trying to engage.

So I had to have it towed...:cry
    Thank goodness for the AMA! Free towing!:clap

Before I rip into it... what does it sound like I'm up against? What possibilities are there on this machine that I could be experiencing?

Also, I'm guessing this is a good time to do the water pump? The bike is approaching 38k and I haven't had it long... no idea when/if the water pump has been done. And should I do the starter as preventative maintenance? Is it a common failure. I've been thinking of doing a fuel pump upgrade as well.... and a side stand relocator kit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :D
  2. Tramdown

Tramdown It'll take.

Oddometer:
  3. Somewhere Far Beyond

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine who has been a mechanic for many years suggested that perhaps the sprag is shot. I'll probably start tearing into it tomorrow. If the Starter motor is not a common failure, 'haps I'll leave it alone for now. :nod

Thanks!

I'll update.
  4. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking two problems at once. Fuel pump went out, you ran the carbs dry. Then when you tried to start it the sprag clutch showed up.
  5. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

My 06 has a slight case of the starter klack. The local dealer said he might be able to fix under warranty. Also heard that they have to go completely out (which sounds like yours) before they would cover it.

Anyone else had one done under warranty lately?
  6. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine clacks aswell, it's been doing it since i bought it. (950s 05)
    Most of the time if i don't get a clack at the initial push it's fine. If it clacks straight away i stop starting and retry.

I'm going to the dealer this week to ask if they can give or replace the parts under warranty since it was a tech bullitin.
    (i have to be there for other parts anyway)
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    Clacking and no start = torque limiter
    Whirring and no start = sprag
  8. Somewhere Far Beyond

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

The update so far is...

Stripped the bike down to the stator rotor, but I don't have proper tools to remove it to access the sprag. Waiting on a buddy for that.

In the meantime I'm going to look into getting the parts for a water pump rebuild.

I'm guessing I'll order the sprag from an LC4 to avoid having to buy the kit for the sprag, freewheel and rotor for the LC8. Spendy. :eek1
  9. SkismO

SkismO n00b

Oddometer:
    Any updates on this?

Seems like I am about to start this job soon. :puke1
  10. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This doesn't help the OP in your current situation but Aprilia and Ducati also have the same design and tendency for these starter clutch symptoms and failure; Kickback on engine cutoff, crappy engagement, scary sounds, leaving you in the middle of nowhere shrugging your shoulders, etc. Hope I'm not repeating the obvious. Just want to throw some tips out here gathered from other's bad experiences.

Things you can do to preserve the sprag clutch life:
    1. Make sure the battery is in good condition. Keep on trickle charger. A weakish battery that refuses to die can kill your sprag before the battery eventually gives up.
    2. Use key switch to cutoff engine whenever possible not the emergency kill switch.
    3. Start engine while in neutral whenever possible, 1st gear at other times.
    4. Give ample time between start attempts. Don't jab at the starter button. Wait for it to spool down completely.
    5. Always press starter button with commitment.
    Hope this helps.
  11. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great advice
    and if you suspect something is about to fail or sounding funny, fix it before heading way out there
    If it was me, before calling a tow truck, I would try and flag someone down to give me a tug with a strap to bump start it and then ride it back home, even if it was hundreds of miles to home, if it was thousands of miles, then to a town to order parts.
    But hey, that's just me
    If you are unfamiliar with it, uncoordinated or accident prone the tow strap bump start can be a little tricky if not downright hilarious. :eek1
    its about on the athletic level of getting up on a water ski
  12. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Just curious of your reasoning for #2.
  13. Torquemada

Torquemada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It really is debatable but the emergency kill switch is prone to wear compared to the key and kickstand kill switches. Key OFF kills all electric too and that's usually where I end up anyway. Also some on the Aprillia forums had overall switch gear issues back in the day where it was affecting the starter switch contacts. I've just got into the habit of avoiding it unless I absolutely couldn't.