Red light camera in Riverside..

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by svs, Apr 22, 2013.

1. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was mailed a violation. Vehicle not bike. Was going to my friends fathers funeral at Riverside National, beautiful service, served in the Navy in WW2, buried with honors...

So who knows what the deal is with Riverside and how they function with the enforcement legality on these? Other cities are dropping red light camera's based on enforceability and other legal issues from what I can remember reading, but what of Riverside?

Thanks...
  2. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    You do not respond to It at all. No citing officer, no ticket. You may get ugly letters demanding payment, but they cannot put anything on your record unless you pay. Payment is an admission of guilt.
  3. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed.
  4. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Yeah, try that, let us know how well it works. Tickets get sent to the P.D and courts, its on your record and you have an official notice.
  5. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Pay it or fight it? If it was me, and I violated a law, I would pay it. Perhaps go to traffic school.

Would I ignore it? No. I only do that with jury summons :D. JK.
  6. jason1030

jason1030 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ticketkick.com

Check out this site.
    I had same red-light ticket from S.F. two years ago and I did use this guys' service. The case was dismissed after about 6 months paper trial. Their fee was about $200 so if your fine is much more than their fee it is worth to try.
  7. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    San Bernardino has done away with the whole red light camera process. Don't be scared, cops aren't watching the cameras in real time, so it's not official. Think of it like a jury summons, straight into the shredder it goes! If you get nervous about it you could always have a cop run your record for warrants.
    I actually paid one once, cost like 600 bucks after traffic school. I've had 3 others and was advised by legal counsel to dis regard. Problem solved.
  8. svs

Oddometer:
    If by chance you have contact information for said legal council and would like to share that information it would be appreciated.
  9. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    So I walk up to a cop and ask him to check me for warrants... and he says yes sir you have one for not paying a ticket or showing up for court. You do know what happens next right ? :lol3

Why does it NOT surprise me that you have just blown through Red Lights 4 times. Well at least 4 times cause I am sure you don't always do it when there is a camera. :poser

No I don't think it wise to take any advise from this young man.

If you guys wanna plan ahead here is a little tip. Register YOUR primary driver in your wife's name alone. Register hers in your name alone. If you get a camera ticket in the state of CA it gets thrown out as soon as the reviewer that processes the images sees a male driving a females car... or visa versa. Obviously not the owner driving the car if it's not the right sex.

In CA they have to prove it is you driving your car. You do NOT have to prove who it was to get out of the ticket like other states. So the ticket will never be processed. You won't even get a notification. :deal
  10. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Lots of info here, too:

http://www.highwayrobbery.net/

Yes, technically the paper sent to you isn't a summons. Doesn't mean the court system won't treat it as such. The hoops you'd have to jump through if you call their bluff and they don't flinch will be a lot more painful than the original fine. So, read that site above, look at your "summons" carefully, and decide from there.
  11. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Until they check for other drivers who live at the same address and come up with YOUR picture.....
  12. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    They don't do investigations. The clerk sees a woman in the photo of a car registered to Ralph and tosses the incident and moves on to the next. Doesn't even make it to the LEOs desk. It is the ONLY loophole in the CA system at this time.

Other states send the ticket to the registered car owner and you have to narc out the wife or pay the fine. :deal
  13. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Van Buren @ Wood?

I have paid for 2 of those tickets, ~$400 a pop.

A lot of cameras are gone, they keep promising to get rid of the rest, but they are still there...:bluduh

I'd rather pay than risk it, but that's just me...
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

I beg to differ. Somebody does some investigating, at least here in Sacramento County. I have all of my vehicles listed under my wife and I (helps later when either of us croaks). She got tagged by a red light camera. Somebody had to make the decision to pick the female name to send the ticket. And no, she didn't fight it. Ticked me off....
  15. svs

Oddometer:
    Right off the freeway at Indiana..

Two of them, ouch..

I'm looking at varying options of how handle this...That's why I posted the question to get some feedback..
  16. Tommyg2bad

Tommyg2bad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They have a ton of these things in the Denver/metro area. I drive a heavy van with a load and sometimes it's not safe to try to stop, or it gets you if you stop just over the line. In order for them to force you to pay they have to serve you, and they just won't bother with that. I send mine out as Christmas cards since it has my picture. I never pay them. Few do after it came out in the press that there's no real penalty for not paying. It's fee based law enforcement at it's worst. Photo radar you do have to pay or a warrant will be issued. They were ruled unconstitutional in Co. for a few yrs. because the people in the vans weren't official law enforcement and fee based enforcement was also unconstitutional. Now they are and it is.
    I would call the city and ask what they do if you don't pay then read between the lines of what they threaten to do.
  17. Jeff aka BOLT

Oddometer:
    The answer is in your remark. You said the car was in both names... you said she got popped... they saw a woman and she got the ticket.

However, had you had the car registered as I suggested to YOU no ticket would have been sent.

It wasn't an investigation. Is was a clerk that looked at your registration... and you gave them the data to write you guys the ticket no matter if a woman or man was caught in the camera.

BTW - You can do as I suggested and drive cars registered soley to each other. Then sign the DMV paperwork of each car to each other as a gift... don't date it... leave it in the file with your wills. Then if one person croaks... back date by one day of death and the car is yours.
  18. Cannabinoid

Cannabinoid Banned

Oddometer:
    fixed
  19. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Fine, don't call it an investigation if you want. I give the powers that be more credit than you. Since they have a money motive, and it's not much work to find additional drivers at the registered owners address, I'll stand behind what I stated. Prove your theory, please.
  20. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    So say my identical twin brother was driving my car when a red light camera gets him. According to the authorities reviewing the camera data, it sure looks like me. How does someone fight this? So you go in to court, state you have an identical twin and then what? They make YOU prove you have a twin? How do you prove that if he/she isn't in the courtroom?

Maybe a copy of a drivers license? Out of state would be best, right? Do CA courts have access to out of state drivers license databases? Or maybe a couple of family photos...

Just a couple of thoughts during my morning commute. :deal